Thor: Love and Thunder **BEWARE SPOILERS**

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree a lot of the humor fell flat, but as I mentioned in a previous post most of the best scenes & lines ("Jodie Foster", Jane's goofy catch phrases, Thor's appearance before Zeus, etc.,) were spoiled in the trailers so they were never going to be as good the 2nd time. If those weren't spoiled for you & you still didn't laugh I don't know what to tell you. It's a Taika Waititi movie - you should have known what to expect lol...

I think that was the point though - New Asgard could only survive by selling out and becoming a kitschy tourist trap and and that theater play was the epitome of absurdist kitsch. The only remotely funny part was that the crowd was visibly moved and applauded wildly at the end.
That play wasn't funny because they literally just copied that skit the actors did for the James Corden late night show years ago.

I finally was able to get around to seeing this movie. In all honesty, it came across as a spoof film where the directing and dialogue was so bad, it made the acting terrible. That scene where Sif has had her arm cut off and Thor tells her she can't get into Valhalla because she survived the battle...just such bad dialogue and acting there. It was cringeworthy to watch.

The scenes where Stormbreaker is jealous of Mjolnir was just over the top. The goats with horrible human screaming was ridiculous! The whole Zeus/God meeting was terrible.

Just way too much shoved into one film. I had no problem with the Jane as Mighty Thor storyline, but it was all too rushed. Gorr seemed totally wasted, never really seeing him battling all these Gods, just the aftermath.

I would have to say I think this was my least favourite Thor film. It just came across as far too stupid.
It was stupid...

Let’s make it even more colorful that it looks like a live action Care Bears film

:lol

falcon.jpg

What a complete joke. He has no place anymore in the MCU.

Rumor is Taika won't be back for Thor 5. But he already started ruining him in 4. I still have no desire to watch this when it hits D+ in a week. And Thor is one of my two favorite Marvel characters.

Between this and She-Hulk it seems comedy is now the order of the day :(

I mean if the source material (comics) for the She Hulk has always been comedic, I'm fine with that. I haven't watched that series yet but with Thor, well, that's just sad. Somebody should have reined in Taika during the production.

Rumor is Taika won't be back for Thor 5. But he already started ruining him in 4. I still have no desire to watch this when it hits D+ in a week. And Thor is one of my two favorite Marvel characters.

Wasted a massive opportunity.

A full film with a Thor/GOTG team up in space would have been fun and interesting. Send them on a mission to bring back Loki ( the one from the old timeline in End Game that ended up in the Loki show)

Thor versus Rocket versus Drax would have been comedy gold.

Or pair up Thor with Florence Pugh. Again, comedy gold.

Or Thor and Trevor Slattery. That would be hilarious.

Bring back a character or characters that the fans have proven that they actually like. Who here desperately missed Natalie Portman? Or Jane from Blindspot? Creed's wife?

Making a feature Thor film without Tom Hiddleston was basically box office poison from the start. Then they took away any semblance of the kind of excellent action sequences that the MCU is known for and is good at.

Two serious Thor films, one funny and one stupid seems like a gross disservice for one of Marvel's A-listers.
How quickly we forget that back when Marvel made the first Thor movie he was anything but an A-lister. Even strictly within Marvel calling him an A-lister was debatable. He was at best 5th behind Spider-Man, Iron Man, Cap, and Hulk in terms of popularity, and if they had the rights to Spidey back then we might still be waiting for Thor 2 lol.

The "funny" movie was by far the most praised of his individual flicks, so while Love & Thunder was indeed a misstep I can't really fault Feige & company for giving Taika Waititi a lot of latitude while making it. I mean usually they're criticized for interfering too much with directors.

Thor 5 has been announced? I must have missed that...

How did this Thor movie do? Seem to come and go pretty quickly... but then so does the theatrical period all together.

I'm so sad to see the theatrical experience ending in my lifetime.

How did this Thor movie do? Seem to come and go pretty quickly... but then so does the theatrical period all together.

It basically did what Ragnarok did at the box office without the China release that that movie enjoyed.

To me, Disney is killing their own theatrical product in the name of streaming. I would have gone to see this movie multiple times because it really worked for me, especially the second half. But knowing it would be dropping by Late August/Early September on Disney+ made it a really simple monetary decision for me and I'm sure many others. The quality of Phase 4 has certainly been up and down and divisive, but when the people who love the movie are only going once to the theatre to watch it because of your streaming strategy...maybe you should reconsider that strategy.

Streaming is definitely killing theatrical, but so are prices.

I'd like to see theaters charge $5 tickets again -- have the Hollywood bean counters figure out what they can make in theaters at $5 a ticket, and start making movies at that price. Clearly, $300 million budgets really don't guarantee a great movie. So make $75 million movies, and make them better. Be creative. People will come. They're throwing tons of money away on the streaming hype as it is. We are near total theatrical exhaustion of IPs. Hollywood has been running things into the ground since the 90's.

I'm really curious how the $3 re-releases will fair over this weekend. Maybe studios need to re-release great movies at $3 and a lot more people than you think might come to the theater for nostalgia.

It is sad.

Having said that I love the run of old movies. Just got to watch JAWS again in the theater. Converted to 3D which was cool since I have seen this film a few thousand times the normal way.

Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan is out also. Going to see that tomorrow.

I was in a Showcase Cinema Deluxe theater at Hampton Bay Area this weekend and that were doing Gangster film mondays which we had that going on in my area.

But yeah it’s not like those old films are going to save the theaters.

Better movies need to be made. Top Gun Maverick proves that people will come out to go to the movies but man is there a rash of Average to Bad movies always coming out.

TV shows seem to be getting worse and not worth as much time so maybe theaters will have a resurgence.

Streaming is definitely killing theatrical, but so are prices.

I'd like to see theaters charge $5 tickets again -- have the Hollywood bean counters figure out what they can make in theaters at $5 a ticket, and start making movies at that price. Clearly, $300 million budgets really don't guarantee a great movie. So make $75 million movies, and make them better. Be creative. People will come. They're throwing tons of money away on the streaming hype as it is. We are near total theatrical exhaustion of IPs. Hollywood has been running things into the ground since the 90's.

I'm really curious how the $3 re-releases will fair over this weekend. Maybe studios need to re-release great movies at $3 and a lot more people than you think might come to the theater for nostalgia.
Doh. I need to keep reading before I reply.

I would LOVE 3 dollar rereleases.

Just got to watch JAWS again in the theater. Converted to 3D which was cool since I have seen this film a few thousand times the normal way.

How was it is 3D? Does Ben Gardner's head jump out at you?

I always thought the water sloshing up against the camera would look great in 3D.

There was a time when every Marvel movie had at least one repeat worthy scene. Like a segment where you'd want to watch a video clip of it on YouTube again because it was so cool or interesting or epic.

Think Captain America WS in the elevator where Rogers is asking if anyone wants to get out before they all start fighting or the single meek analyst who refuses to launch the carrier despite a gun pointed at his head. Or the GOTG1, when the entire crew breaks out of prison together. Or the first Captain America with the grenade scene. Even a relatively bad movie like Thor 2 had Loki shouting at his mother Frigga, but in complete regret that he did it.

There isn't one single rewatchable nor memorable scene in Love And Thunder. Not a single one. Ragnarok worked because you had massive acting talent ( Hopkins, Blanchett, Elba, Hiddleston, Cumberbatch, etc, etc) supporting a true adventure with a real plot that happened to have comedy in it.

And if you don't have a real plot or narrative, at least fill it with big dumb action set pieces. Give people spectacle if you can't give them a cohesive story. Even the action in Love And Thunder was bad.

And where is Thor going to go as a character? He had 3 standalone films plus 4 Avengers films. Part of the L&T problem was there was nowhere left to go. There was nowhere to take this but to kill him off. While I actually really do like Hemsworth in general, this was the film to actually just have the guts to kill him off.

I was really looking forward to this because I was hoping for Thor to be part of a larger GOTG adventure, a team up film. Go find Zoe Saldana/Gamora, the End Game variant, and bring her back so she can rejoin the team, that's a worthy plot for L&T. Go find the TV show version of Loki, that too is an interesting MacGuffin.

You can't really blame Feige too much here. Taika saved the Thor franchise. He pumped real new life into it. And if Hemsworth would only sign on if Taika directed another, then he was sort of cornered. This film was a failure in refusing to keep it extremely simple. If they stuck to Basic Storytelling 101, as well as jettisoning all the characters no one cares about ( Portman and Thompson the most), this could have been at least average.

Back