This has to be scam right?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even though I wouldn't have done it personally mostly based on the fact that he had a listing for a figure that doesn't release until WAY later this year, you're pretty much going to get your money back if you're covered and it's a scam. I mean it would be a needless hassle, but you'll be compensated and I presume the seller would be shut down if reported to eBay. You never know, but there were too many red flags for my liking.

I know for some figures I purchased off eBay, the shipping dimensions and weights weren't exactly indicative of a HT figure, but that's exactly what it was.

It's a scam,obviously i hope you get it,but if a package arrives at your door video tape opening it up just to protect yourself. Good luck

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

How could it not be one of those three?

Somehow this feedback:

Very fast shipping to Moscow. Good quality, seller goes to favorites! Thanks

- does the opposite of reassure me.
What is wrong with Moscow?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

A while back I pulled the trigger on a Black Widow auction; via mobile, I was busy and didn't vet the seller too closely.

Communication was good, received tracking.

I checked the feedback: some looked legit, they weren't new. Then I saw A LOT of repetition - fake looking, bot- style feedback.

The negatives started popping up; buyers started talking about fake tracking numbers.

After a small back and forth the seller stopped responding and shortly was "no longer a registered user". I opened a dispute via PayPal and got all my money back.

Tracking number never really went anywhere beyond a message that item had left local delivery office; nothing ever appeared.

So...careful out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are several SW Hot Toys listings on eBay now that are definitely scams (see item numbers 331760292519, 231821162211, 231822046252, 252258868470, 252258875927).

Here is a link to a CNET article on the subject from a year ago: Anatomy of an eBay scam - CNET

Notice how the listings have only promo shots. The Han/Chewy set does show an actual box BUT the seller did not even remove the actual shop's name from the photo (which appears to be a legit shop and NOT the eBay seller).

Bottom line is what most people are saying if it's too good to be true it's not legit. RESIST clicking the Buy It Now button! :)

Hey guys,
Be careful about these aforementioned scammer guys but also pre-orders or sellers that "drag their feet."
They basically:
1. list items that are set to be released months in advance.
2. keep communication open to keep you relaxed
3. suddenly disappear as a "non registered user."

Ebay will consider the listing closed after 30 days while you wait for your stuff to arrive. You will not be covered under buyer protection after this time has elapsed.
Paypal will only cover you up to 45 days after purchase!

The thieves are long gone with your money by then. Ask me how I know.
Luckily, I filed a item not received claim right before the time elapsed. The "buyer is no longer a registered user" is what woke me up.

Don't forget that also in this hobby, there are buyers who are scammers too.
I sold my Hot toys iron man Midas figure via ebay.The winner never paid yet expected me to send the item before I paid....so after no payment after 2 weeks I rang the buyer.He used the excuse his wife was sick and couldnt make payment.I cancelled the listing and had to ask him 3 times to cancel it cause of no payment.
A week later I relisted the item and a guy asked could he buy it outside of ebay.i said no and he used Buy it Now and He paid for it straight away.
He kept asking a lot of questions, way more than anyone would usually ask.
Anyways, that day he received it he asked for a full refund, claiming scuff marks on the Midas figure etc...the figure does come like that.
Anyways, fortunately for me I take lots of pics of anything I decide to sell off, be it the figure, the parcel I send it in, the packaging and accessories, just to cover my ass.
2 months my ebay account was frozen until the mess was sorted out.
It turned out in my favour based off the pics and the timestamps of them....PLUS the fact that the buyer was the exact same person under a different ID who claimed his wife was sick when he won it the first time around....ebay had sent a warning email saying the 1st user id was a scammer..
So be wary....some buyers out there not only want your items, but also want to not pay for them either...

To echo Glenn's experience, when I use to sell on eBay I'd get folks claiming the item wasn't as advertised or it came damaged, or the clamshell was scuffed. All kinds of stuff. And yes, I've heard of the "no item received" scam and since eBay is set up to more rigorously protect buyers, sellers get scammed too and more easily.

To echo Glenn's experience, when I use to sell on eBay I'd get folks claiming the item wasn't as advertised or it came damaged, or the clamshell was scuffed. All kinds of stuff. And yes, I've heard of the "no item received" scam and since eBay is set up to more rigorously protect buyers, sellers get scammed too and more easily.

which is why I don't sell on ebay anymore. I moved my collection in a direction where Im buying less and only what I really like and not selling anything anymore.I sold half my collection but luckily the buyer was local, he picked it up and paid cash.

While I still buy figures off of eBay, I'm very picky about who I buy from. I look at how many transactions they've done, feedback on items they've sold, what the items were, what else they're currently selling, what they've sold in the past, etc.

True story: I sold a SS Anakin mint in box few years ago on ebay and the buyer switched out a used figure and then filed a claim of "item not described."

The switched out figure was clearly used, worn tabards, dusty, and the paint apps did not even match my original. Of course, ebay sided with him and he returned it for a full refund.

I was very upset for a long time but then decided to make lemonade with those lemons. I made a custom battle damaged Anakin and sold it for 3 times what I would have made with the scammer!

True story: I sold a SS Anakin mint in box few years ago on ebay and the buyer switched out a used figure and then filed a claim of "item not described."

The switched out figure was clearly used, worn tabards, dusty, and the paint apps did not even match my original. Of course, ebay sided with him and he returned it for a full refund.

I was very upset for a long time but then decided to make lemonade with those lemons. I made a custom battle damaged Anakin and sold it for 3 times what I would have made with the scammer!

If you still had that guy's user name, you should have sent him a message with the link to the auction of the figure that he scammed you with showing the results and that you made quite the profit and simply said, "Thanks! :)"

I'm surprised ebay doesn't have a way to just shut this guy down now, especially when it is so obviously a scam and new HT figures don't go for anywhere near that price.

I mean hell, even if someone came upon a crate of lost or stolen HT figures they didn't have to pay for, they would surely try to get more out of them than a measly $79.

If a UK seller was selling HT figures for fifty quid I would be too frightened of having my collar felt for being in receipt, because they would clearly have fallen off the back of a lorry. Whatever way you look at it there's a crime behind these figures - if they don't exist it's a scam, if they do, they can't have been legitimately obtained.

Back