The way Return of the Jedi should have ended

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was when SW was about Luke and his story. Clearly, that has changed.

It definitely changed with the PT, but I like that the viewer can project what they like into Vader's mind at this moment. For me, I don't imagine him thinking of Dooku shocking him or even Mace Windu or the Obi-Wan duel, I've just envisioned him thinking of Padme and his mother. Anakin wasn't about himself, he was lost in his love for his mother and wife and when I watch ROTJ I see Vader reflecting on all the ones he lost and the frustration of that building up much like with the sand people, and at the very peak, realising his allegiance to Palpatine has only brought him pain and drawn his loved ones away from his life and he turns on him for it.

I've seen quite a few re-cut RotJ endings and I do enjoy watching them but, as others have said, I dont think it necessary to spoon feed the audience with whats going thru Vaders mind. Above all there should be no edits mixing the PT with the OT imo... i can just about tolerate the PT Ani making an appearance at the end of the RotJ Ewok rave but thats it!

It was fun to watch it that way, but I don't think it needs to be recut and released that way. I would like to see Qui-Gon's ghost at the end though.

Why does Qui Gon need to be there? He's only responsible for finding the chosen one, and teaching Yoda and Obi Wan how to retain their consciousness so they could still guide Luke.

Why does Qui Gon need to be there? He's only responsible for finding the chosen one, and teaching Yoda and Obi Wan how to retain their consciousness so they could still guide Luke.

He doesn't NEED to be there, but since I see him as one of the most important Jedi ever I'd like to see it. He found the chosen one. He was the one who learned to keep your identity after death and instructed Yoda on how to do it. I just see him as very important to the overall story.

I disagree aswell. I really don't see Vader having flashbacks about how lightning hurts or how much his life sucks, he's struggling with his perverse loyalty to his emperor and the dark side and the love he has for his son.

Like it was said earlier, the whole point of an internal struggle is that it's internal. I was always surprised how that scene could make the emotions come across so clearly eventhough it's just plastic mask. The original is much more powerful.

I thought it was a cool "experiment" but I definitely prefer the original version as well.

Actually, I remember someone re-editing "The Phantom Menace" and deleting most of Jar-Jar's scenes. The movie improved immeasurably. If not mistaken, GL got pissed about that... :lol

I am surprised that they didn't have Qui-Gon's ghost calling out Anakin's name in there as well.

Personally, I think that it works fine without the flashbacks. I get the idea that Anakin is thinking about those things without having to go back and see them.

I thought it was a cool "experiment" but I definitely prefer the original version as well.

Actually, I remember someone re-editing "The Phantom Menace" and deleting most of Jar-Jar's scenes. The movie improved immeasurably. If not mistaken, GL got pissed about that... :lol

Yeah, thats the Phantom Edit. There is more than just Jar Jar edited out though (and I think it replaces Neimodian speak with alien speak among toher things).

He doesn't NEED to be there, but since I see him as one of the most important Jedi ever I'd like to see it. He found the chosen one. He was the one who learned to keep your identity after death and instructed Yoda on how to do it. I just see him as very important to the overall story.

I agree its vital to have Qui Gon. I was being sarcastic.

THe only OT changes I would think about signing off on at this point would by the digitization of Yoda.

I think this was a cool idea, I loved watching it, but I don't want it in my trilogy. Much like Luke's scream in the Anniversary ESB (mercifully excised). It's not the actors in OT that need the help...

I hate it, but then I hate the Prequel Trilogy. Even if I didn't, it would only work, even on its own level, if nothing else was going on in the movie. Otherwise it takes you out of the action for too long.

If you really want to know how Return of the Jedi should have ended, you should read Lucas's rough draft from 1981, available here:

https://starwarz.com/starkiller/scripts/revenge_revised_rough_draft.htm

A kick-ass duel in a lava filled throne room during which Yoda and Ben return from the dead might just have been the way to go...

well in a sense that IS what happened. Vader realized Luke was right and tossed the Emp!:confused:

I appreciate the effort, and it's always fun to see stuff like this. Keep it coming, I say. But the originals should never have been officially "tweaked" by GL.

THe only OT changes I would think about signing off on at this point would by the digitization of Yoda.

I think this was a cool idea, I loved watching it, but I don't want it in my trilogy. Much like Luke's scream in the Anniversary ESB (mercifully excised). It's not the actors in OT that need the help...

Along those lines, if nothing else, replace TPM Yoda. I thought the look of the TPM Yoda puppet was fine as it was supposed to be younger Yoda, but the transition to the ESB look for AOTC was so sudden, you're left thinking how in the hell does he go from TPM to this? AOTC should have been a hybrid of the TPM and ROTS look to make the TPM not look rediculous, but since they didn't go that root, now it looks silly.

Back