The Water Treatment Method

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xipotec

Super Freak
Reaction score
The Water Treatment

There have been a lot of questions regarding water treating clothing for HT and sideshow figures. o I thought an updated picture post on the subject timely.

Warning, some figures may react poorly to water treatment, proceed at your own risk. Please post your success stories also so other may know what figures work and which do not.

Away we go....

First...undressing.

This can be the hardest part of the project. For my 1/6 scale Hot Toys Kylo Ren, it was a difficult job. I always recommend removing the hands,feet and head. It makes it much easier to remove the clothing. Carefully preposition the figure reduce the amount of stress on the fabric. Try to remember the way you removed the clothing, it will likely be the bast way to re dress them.

IMG_8170.jpg

Tools

All you need here is a clean flat surface to work with, and a clean spray bottle with water. You can use distilled water if you want to be absolutely safe.

IMG_8201.jpg

The Work

Liberally spray the clothing until wet. Damp is really not good enough, certain lighter fabrics may respond to a misting of water, but tough fabrics , like Kylo's robe, need to be pretty wet.
IMG_8202.jpg

Once the clothing is totally wet you will be easily be able to straighten out any curls or wrinkles. Kylo's robes are very layered , so Each layer needed to be wet and straightened individually.

IMG_8203.jpg
IMG_8204.jpg
IMG_8205.jpg
IMG_8206.jpg

Pay attention to the seams and stitching, and be sure they are folded correctly an flat.
IMG_8207.jpg
IMG_8208.jpg

Some fabrics may need some help to flatten. Kylo's underobe is made of a springy material, after wetting I used a weight to keep the fabric down.
IMG_8212.jpg
IMG_8213.jpg

Drying

Drying the fabric can be challenging, but it is also the most important part. I opt to hang to piece to allot it to dry in a natural fashion. Many people will put the clothes back on the figure while still damp. In this phase you can often re fold, curl and shape the fabric to your liking. It will keep this shape after fully drying.

I pat dry my clothing, and then hang them using the wire from the stands. When the fabric is near dry I begin my shaping.

IMG_8214.jpg
IMG_8221.jpg

POST TREATMENT

You can clearly see the difference in the robes, especially at the bottom. I choose to give the robes a "wave" look on the back of the figure to show what can be done in the drying phase.

IMG_8223.jpg
IMG_8252.jpg
IMG_8229.jpg

I hope this helps someone feel more comfortable doing this treatment. It really help make the clothing much more realistic and can help get rid of troublesome wrinkles and curls from shipping.

Best wishes!
Xipo

is this called water treatment or just Ironing? since you're at it might as well trim those excess strings.

Hi there. Thanks for the tutorial! Is there a way to remove the clothes without cutting any threads?

You can just fill the sink/bath with water and stick the whole figure in, get it soaking then proceed as above thus negating the need to remove any clothing but beware off anything the figures wearing that the water might damage like leather belts...some don't like the water.

You can just fill the sink/bath with water and stick the whole figure in, get it soaking then proceed as above thus negating the need to remove any clothing but beware off anything the figures wearing that the water might damage like leather belts...some don't like the water.
This is true, but I personally have never been comfortable dunking any figure.

Bad advice for new collectors.....dunk a 200 dollar "toy" . What results do you think that will give with a t-800? Or Jack Sparrow DX?

Bad advice for new collectors.....dunk a 200 dollar "toy" . What results do you think that will give with a t-800? Or Jack Sparrow DX?

Do you mean the T-800 in leather/pleather? Why would anyone use the water treatment for that kind of figure? Very little benefits. The water will not damage the Sparrow figure.

Nice tutorial
I use a small spray bottle
I just undress first and spray as needed while adding back layers of clothes as I go. This way I can form it better.

Also people have been doing this over 10 years myself included and never have had any damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously, if you're dumb enough to dunk a leather/pleather figure, or a Robocop to "water treat" them, you win the prize. Apart from that though... these aren't faberge eggs. :rolleyes2

I always get a chuckle at how precious some of you are.

Back