The Treebeard Mystery???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnamiraTook

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I returned from New Zealand last Tuesday. While I was there I was at the Te Papa Musuem in Wellington where I fell in the spell of a Treebeard and purchased it for a reasonable price but a ridiculous shipping cost. It was to be shipped express, insured and tracking.

This was on Nov. 12. When I returned on Nov. 22 and found no information on tracking, I emailed Te Papa. No answer. Tried again. This time I was informed that they could not find the original box for Treebeard and another Treebeard has been ordered from WETA. When they get it, it will be posted to me.

The mystery is -- where is this replacement of a sold out item coming from. I'll sure be waiting to see what happens next.

BTW, New Zealand is as beautiful as I imagined -- if not more so. Go if you can and you will love it.

The Treebeard bust is still available from Weta in New Zealand. They only ship within New Zealand so that's why they tend to still have pieces that are sold out at SideShow.

leebgb said:
The Treebeard bust is still available from Weta in New Zealand. They only ship within New Zealand so that's why they tend to still have pieces that are sold out at SideShow.

Mmmh... I was just cecking their site https://www.sideshowweta.co.nz/index_new.php but couldn't find the treebeard bust still for sale. Could you point me there, please? :confused:

I would be tempted, because they are giving 30% discount on all their old LOTR stuff (only until today) and it looks like I'll be in NZL again in January so I could pick it up when I get there.

Found it, I assume $ 175 means 175 NZL dollars = 122 US dollars?

But no 30% dicount any more, but it is already Dec 1st down there...

Still a very good price. :banana

Does any of our members from NZL know how it usually takes them to ship stuff (to NZL)?

In my experience they usually take around 1-2 weeks for processing time and shipping. I just ordered something on the 17th of this month and it came on the 28th, so that's one estimate. :)

weta

Remeber they only ship to NZ customers.... not even aussies can get it shipped to them....

This means unless you know a kiwi you hard out of luck....

Michael

aurea23 said:
Remeber they only ship to NZ customers.... not even aussies can get it shipped to them....

This means unless you know a kiwi you hard out of luck....

Which luckily I do :banana

But can you tell me if their prices are in US$ or NZL$?

My Treebeard from the museum in Wellington did have a 20% discount and no GST which is believe is 12%. When converted to US $ not a bad price. But oh the shipping.

I saw WETA items at 3 places. Dymocks Booksellers, Wellington, where I bought an Elendil bust for $120 US (I carried it home in my luggage). They had mostly the newer items and not much I did not already have. They had a High Elven helm but had a price of $400 on it -- a bit steep. I passed on it.

The museum had the Treebeard and a Fell Beast. The Fell Beast was the most expensive. Again I had all the statues. They did not have the newer ones and all LotR was 20% off. I was tempted by the Fell Beast, but thought it was more fragile for shipping than Treebeard. Also it was $100 higher.

At Outback, Queensland -- the store associated with Nomad who runs the LotR tours -- they had the Stone Trolls but for display only.

So actually the Treebeard and Fell Beast were the only two older WETA items I found for sale.

I did take the Nomad tours which were a lot of fun.

DonnamiraTook said:
My Treebeard from the museum in Wellington did have a 20% discount and no GST which is believe is 12%. When converted to US $ not a bad price. But oh the shipping.

I saw WETA items at 3 places. Dymocks Booksellers, Wellington, where I bought an Elendil bust for $120 US (I carried it home in my luggage). They had mostly the newer items and not much I did not already have. They had a High Elven helm but had a price of $400 on it -- a bit steep. I passed on it.

WOW! :horror So things are definately not cheaper in NZ! :google

You can get Elendil for about $65-70 and the helm for around $80.

My Treebeard arrived from New Zealand yesterday and in perfect condition. I had not received notice that it had been shipped so was surprised and delighted to have it arrive.

It is quite impressive and I am very pleased that I bought it.

Glad it finally arrived safely. It is truely an impressive piece!!!!

Back