The studio ADI Collection

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The paintwork is far more intricate, with more depth and accuracy, than the P1. The pictures also have not been doing a good job showing the paint detail.

That's not what i see on pics and vids sorry...P1 paintjob looks better without a doubt. More contrast, nuances and not just a fat brown...even the dome is awesome and really detailed on the P1. The ADI hasn't a 6K paintjob. If i had the money i would still get both. That's just my personal opinion

They are not really intended for the 'flavor of the month' collectors.

I would argue that with prices where they are now, the same can be said for a large percentage of more mass produced collectables at this point. Especially something like the Prime 1 Dog Alien which will cost me over $2k after shipping and taxes. Who is spending that kind of money on a whim? I agree that this is a thing of beauty, and I wish I could have one in my home. I just think that in this particular case, there is serious competition to it which happens to be much more affordable, and a nicer looking overall set up imo (subjective opinions and all) An ES of 100 (max) rather than 800 would be an additional bonus however of course and I have no doubt that if ADI had beaten Prime 1 & CP to the punch, they would have sold a lot more of these already.

More in-hand pics from one Chinese collector.
981c61c2d56285357fc148da9eef76c6a6ef63f0.jpg
9109f888d43f879447ded2d5dc1b0ef41ad53af0.jpg
fb55a818367adab46bf381b885d4b31c8601e4f2.jpg
f44fbf8fa0ec08fa6e2e955c57ee3d6d54fbdaef.jpg
ae787782b2b7d0a28fe99e66c5ef76094a369af1.jpg
4c8efb628535e5dd79e53c2478c6a7efcc1b62c8.jpg
5243f7f9d72a60597a2067e12634349b023bbae1.jpg

I would argue that with prices where they are now, the same can be said for a large percentage of more mass produced collectables at this point. Especially something like the Prime 1 Dog Alien which will cost me over $2k after shipping and taxes. Who is spending that kind of money on a whim? I agree that this is a thing of beauty, and I wish I could have one in my home. I just think that in this particular case, there is serious competition to it which happens to be much more affordable, and a nicer looking overall set up imo (subjective opinions and all) An ES of 100 (max) rather than 800 would be an additional bonus however of course and I have no doubt that if ADI had beaten Prime 1 & CP to the punch, they would have sold a lot more of these already.

I agree, and that "flavor of the month" comment was pretty condescending. I've spent more than 6K on some of my pieces, but I wouldn't for this. The price tag should not justify the piece, the piece should justify the price tag. I can see the quality, it's just at least 2K overpriced.

SteveL does come across as a massive shill most of the time.

I'm sure in person this does look better than P1 but I'm just not seeing it in most of these pics. The teeth look pretty rough. I do like that the dome is darker on this one though, and I can sorta see the depth to the paintwork in some pics.

SteveL does come across as a massive shill most of the time.

I'm sure in person this does look better than P1 but I'm just not seeing it in most of these pics. The teeth look pretty rough. I do like that the dome is darker on this one though, and I can sorta see the depth to the paintwork in some pics.

I'm not swayed by price or a company and the "shill" comments are based on your own bias,not mine.I'm only speaking the truth about "real" differences based on reference material of the original production maquettes,most of which you guys have never seen.

The teeth on the ADI maquette are accurate to the original maquettes and the puppet. The P1 teeth are not even close and as you already commented in the P1 thread,were even badly executed on the production pieces.

Lighting plays a HUGE part in how the paintwork is perceived. The ADI maquette IS the correct shade of brown.

Which one (the P1 or ADI maquette) has the more accurate paintwork and color tone to the one of the original maquettes pictured,under similar lighting conditions. BTW, this original ADI maquette also has ADI artist Yuri Everson's paintwork.

Alien-3-ADI-Alien-3-Rod-Puppet-Maquette-5.jpg

Pictured below, is the same ADI original maquette under high flash. Amazing how things can look so different just because of lighting conditions:wink1:

rodpuppet4.jpg

The only thing that is 100% accurate on the P1, is the tail. The P1 just fits most peoples' idea of how the "Dog Alien" design should look in their minds. It's not accurate to any original ADI produced piece.

Accurate or not, I just don't see this being worth 4 times the price of the P1. Say the P1 is 95% there as far as sculpt and paint app, and this is 100%, I'm perfectly fine with 95% at a 400% cheaper price.

And I'm totally lost on the "flavor of the month" comment. It's not that we all randomly decided the P1 piece is good. It IS good. Nor is it a money thing, as many of us could afford this if we wished. It's just way over priced.

I stumbled across this image online (Not sure whom it belongs to, sorry) We can argue all we want about accuracy etc, but both of these new maquettes look amazing. The old Sideshow version has held "grail" status for years, and both of these render it almost irrelevant for me so that's saying something.

The image does however enforce my opinion that the Prime 1 version is the one for me, even if I had $6k+ to blow, it just offers a lot more bang for your buck, I also hadn't realised quite how much larger it was.

hwSq2MD.jpg

It's kind of like the Batman sonar suit. On screen, it looks a metallic silver-blue. In real life, it looks like a dullish gunmetal color. I prefer my statue to look like it did in the movie. Of course A3 is different because you only caught quick glimpses of the puppet with horrific matte lines.

Of course A3 is different because you only caught quick glimpses of the puppet with horrific matte lines.

True, but not nearly as distracting as the downright awful CGI Dog thrown in. It completely takes me out of the movie every time I see it.

Accurate or not, I just don't see this being worth 4 times the price of the P1. Say the P1 is 95% there as far as sculpt and paint app, and this is 100%, I'm perfectly fine with 95% at a 400% cheaper price.

And I'm totally lost on the "flavor of the month" comment. It's not that we all randomly decided the P1 piece is good. It IS good. Nor is it a money thing, as many of us could afford this if we wished. It's just way over priced.

My comment wasn't directed so much at you guys,but was just a general comment about those that buy pieces like this just because they are a "hot" piece at any given moment.The ADI maquette is going to appeal more to those that really love the original maquette design and the pedigree behind it. It's not really for those who find more monetary value in owning the P1 replica.

It's kind of like the Batman sonar suit. On screen, it looks a metallic silver-blue. In real life, it looks like a dullish gunmetal color. I prefer my statue to look like it did in the movie. Of course A3 is different because you only caught quick glimpses of the puppet with horrific matte lines.

Yes,very similar. It's unfortunate that the A3 puppet was never depicted in it's full glory in the film. Such a shame that the details never came across and it seemed detached from the scenes.

I think plenty of people who "love the original" will still think with their wallet and get the P1 over this. I just keep struggling to see the justification for the cost difference. How did they come up with that price? It just seems like they wanted to make it artificially worth more just by pricing it higher. That tactic does work sometimes on super high end items. Do they ever have sales on their stuff? I haven't gotten a P1 yet.

The price involves a multitude of factors. PFX artist time and skills,studio grade materials,licensing etc.... These actually do cost more to produce than the overseas manufactured replicas.

Back