The Spawn thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The man just made a MILLION DOLLARS in about 72 hours. Don't question him. :rotfl

I mean it’s hard to argue that this wasn’t extremely successful, but I’m just questioning if it was even necessary. This easily could have done that or more through the regular channels. Since those numbers aren’t typical published, we’ll never really know for sure. I’m sure those visible numbers are playing a factor for some. They might back this when they might not have purchased the figure otherwise. I have no idea if less than 5,000 is a low or high number for a McFarlane figure these days. These might get overproduced due to speculation or they might actually be fairly rare. Again, without published numbers it’s hard to tell if this is a runnaway success or an average figure run. I’d tend to guess this might actually be the runaway success by the lack of planning for stretch goals and surprise that they hit the goal within minutes and then a million in 2 days. They at least weren’t expecting that it seems :lol

And I think Todd may have bit off more than he could chew with the autographs. I doubt he realized how many thousand he’s need to sign before the launch!

Can we get the comic book signed?

Unfortunately, it isn't that simple (though I wish it was). You see, since we manufacture in China and print the books there, it is easy to ship the books out of that country. Where it gets a lot more complicated is if someone wants to bring the comics to America (where I would sign them) and then attempt to return those same books back into China. The Chinese regulations are very sensitive to "printed" materials coming into their country. It is much easier to send plastic or metal pieces back and forth because they are not considered "printed material" that could have some political message. This is just one of many rules and regulations all of us have to deal with that print and/or manufacture in China.
And then there are the rules and regulations we need to meet when we ship out products into any other country outside of the place of origin

- TODD

I still can't get over the price on these. Todd has strong connections to toy factories, he has experience in how to get the best deals from those factories, he has his own established website, and he's fulfilled direct online orders previously. Even considering the smaller production run, these shouldn't be $40 each. Maybe he wasn't expecting it to be as successful and have a smaller production run, but this has shown that customers will pay that much for Spawn figures, I think anything he does through crowdfunding in the future will also be overpriced.

I hope this doesn't discourage Todd from doing variants on the MK11 Spawn. I love the sculpt on that version and I'd like to see a more faithful classic appearance paint without the giant right boot and right gauntlet.

I think this was a publicity stunt as much as anything, but I agree on the price. One thing I hate that Hasbro and McFarlane Toys does is have an elbow/knee joint and then have the 2 big holes on both sides of the joint in the arms/legs. FOr a premium figure, they shouldn't be there. For this price and as many as they're making, they should be better looking like a lot of Japanese figures.

Stretch goal # 2 has arrived.

We are now getting steel chains incorporated into the waist of every figure.

If i?m not mistaken I think that is a first for a non 12 inch Spawn figure.

He said hopefully more free upgrades will be announced.

He also screwed up in his latest video he said the first figure came out in 1985 lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he adds a new neutral pose torso then I will get one. Plus, the chains should hang down lower, right? It would be nice if he added a cloth cape option too.

There were definitely metal chains on the older figures. The one that comes to mind was the first return to comic figures after they had a few of the fantasy wave. It was the spawn wave series 17 that has the first Medieval spawn seen since the very first wave.

That wave drove me crazy back then. They started to sculpt Angela but turned her into Tiffany down the line but they also took artistic liberties on all of the designs. I complained and complained and complained. Others complained too but I remember Steve The Victim annoyingly replying to my posts on a daily basis.

Eventually they listened and that’s why series 20 was perfect. I (and others of course but seriously I was obsessed) even got them to change overtkill mid way to make him more comic accurate.

Anyways, I digress...

But after spawn I’d love to see the whole first wave handles like this. Too bad about Angela but that was always an issue with Todd.

Sadly I never got my new comic accurate malbolgia as the last one we saw was whatever happened with series 17... maybe I’ll finally get it lol.

Now we're talking. Not sure how much further beyond $1.2 million we can push to get additional features, but steel chains are as much as I could ask for.

I know Todd would like to remake the entire first wave and the success of this figure must be a huge motivator. Would love a 2020 take on the Violator's clown form.

EDIT: Someone suggested a new arm and leg for the modern Spawn as a future stretch goal. Todd responded that they're thinking along the same lines.

Last edited:
This would be amazing if it wasnt statuesque. I wanted a straight up and down figure like the mk version, but with that old comic style. Articulation in a statuesque piece, doesnt make sense. It will always look awkward, unless it's in that 1 pose.

Articulation in a statuesque piece, doesnt make sense. It will always look awkward, unless it's in that 1 pose.

mcfarlane_a.jpg

There were definitely metal chains on the older figures. The one that comes to mind was the first return to comic figures after they had a few of the fantasy wave. It was the spawn wave series 17 that has the first Medieval spawn seen since the very first wave.

That wave drove me crazy back then. They started to sculpt Angela but turned her into Tiffany down the line but they also took artistic liberties on all of the designs. I complained and complained and complained. Others complained too but I remember Steve The Victim annoyingly replying to my posts on a daily basis.

Eventually they listened and that?s why series 20 was perfect. I (and others of course but seriously I was obsessed) even got them to change overtkill mid way to make him more comic accurate.

Anyways, I digress...

But after spawn I?d love to see the whole first wave handles like this. Too bad about Angela but that was always an issue with Todd.

Sadly I never got my new comic accurate malbolgia as the last one we saw was whatever happened with series 17... maybe I?ll finally get it lol.

Not only was I mistaken I have a 7 inch with metal chain on my shelf lol

I own so much stuff I forget what I own!

4f7dd21b9f6e50e9584a677a79471a04.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This would be amazing if it wasnt statuesque. I wanted a straight up and down figure like the mk version, but with that old comic style. Articulation in a statuesque piece, doesnt make sense. It will always look awkward, unless it's in that 1 pose.

The figure is standing straight in the 3D model video that shows the articulation.

The figure isn't a statue. They have a clear articulation breakdown on the kickstarter. It has roughly the same articulation as a Marvel Legends figure including waist and torso.

So I was "researching" the history of the Spawn costumes, and in the comics (not the 1997 HBO series and film), Spawn got his "modern" costume without the red and the big boot in issue # 31, which came out in 1995.

Honestly, I never noticed the subtle changes to the costume back then, but for some reason I always thought the lack of red and big boot started in the 2000's. Anyway, so the "modern" look is over 20 years old. :lol

I still prefer the "classic" red and white costume, but I might have to reconsider my decision to skip the modern figure. :chug

The figure isn't a statue. They have a clear articulation breakdown on the kickstarter. It has roughly the same articulation as a Marvel Legends figure including waist and torso.

"Statuesque" not statue. Learn the difference. I seen the video, but look at the torso and the left shoulder. Clearly the one shoulder is higher and the torso is bent upward.

So I was "researching" the history of the Spawn costumes, and in the comics (not the 1997 HBO series and film), Spawn got his "modern" costume without the red and the big boot in issue # 32, which came out....in 1995, so a year after Spawn's debut. :confused: That means he only wore the red and black costume for one year and 31 issues. Crazy, isn't?

Honestly, I never noticed the subtle changes to the costume back then, but for some reason I always thought the lack of red and big boot started in the 2000's. Anyway, so the "modern" look is actually 25 years old. :lol

I still prefer the "classic" red and white costume, but I might have to reconsider my decision to skip the modern figure. :chug

This is interesting info! I thought the same. Do you happen to know when the big boot started?

Back