The Sideshow Freaks Fitness Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So just wanted to post...... I never get sore from working out legs (since I don't really train them with much intensity :eek: ) But yesterday I did some lunges, some single leg seated leg press, and some leg press (feet together). And boy oh boy, my legs are burning today...... :panic:

So just wanted to post...... I never get sore from working out legs (since I don't really train them with much intensity :eek: ) But yesterday I did some lunges, some single leg seated leg press, and some leg press (feet together). And boy oh boy, my legs are burning today...... :panic:

Yeah lunges are my kryptonite. No matter how often I do them, or how much weight I use for dumbbells...I can barely walk the next day.

If you want something else that is really good for legs try doing hip adductions and abductions. You'll definitely feel it the next day.

So I meant to ask a question, which was more directed for Skiman (since he seems very knowledgeable about fitness)......

But I've noticed that whenever I workout my biceps, my forearms get SUPER swollen and tight. So tight to the point that I can't even curl, or to where I can't even feel a nice pump in my biceps.... It all seems focused on my forearms. And NOW, when doing seated single bicep curls, my right shoulder seems to tighten up really bad too..... :dunno I'm getting all tense and tight in other areas BESIDES my biceps..... To the point that I feel like I'm not getting much of a workout at ALL in my biceps... I'm not understanding how secondary muscles are seeming to get the majority of the intensity rather than the target muscle group..... :confused:

Chris,

How much are you trying to lift? It sounds like the amount of weight you are lifting is too heavy and causing your forearms and shoulders to compensate. It also depends on form as well. Make sure your form is very strict and that you are not swinging the weight.

My recommendation is to try resistance bands if you have these available to you. If not, then start off with dumbbells that are 15 or 20lbs max. It may sound too little but when you get to rep 25 to 30, you will feel the burn. Perform 100 reps and when you hit 100, your biceps should be on fire.

Start with standing bicep curls, seated incline curls, concentration curls, and preacher curls.

Chris,

How much are you trying to lift? It sounds like the amount of weight you are lifting is too heavy and causing your forearms and shoulders to compensate. It also depends on form as well. Make sure your form is very strict and that you are not swinging the weight.

My recommendation is to try resistance bands if you have these available to you. If not, then start off with dumbbells that are 15 or 20lbs max. It may sound too little but when you get to rep 25 to 30, you will feel the burn. Perform 100 reps and when you hit 100, your biceps should be on fire.

Start with standing bicep curls, seated incline curls, concentration curls, and preacher curls.

Well I'm not trying to lift anything ridiculous..... Right now I'm doing seated curls with 30-35 lb dumbbells. And that's with STRICT, slow form. Nothing fast or explosive motion. Nice and concentrated.... When I was in one of my prime fitness levels in high school, I could curl 45 lb dumbbells. The other exercise I do is standing curls with a straight bar (65 lbs total)...... But again, my forearms and shoulders start to get more of the burn that my biceps.

I'm not a big guy by any means. I'm 5'6" and about 140lbs. But I've been training since high school (off and on) and I'm 29 now. Maybe I'm just feeling the effects of my age? :dunno

But either way, I'm just trying to throw in some resistance training to gain some size. I've always had a high metabolism and I hate being skinny. So I'd like just to do some heavy weight and put on some size :cool:

Well I'm not trying to lift anything ridiculous..... Right now I'm doing seated curls with 30-35 lb dumbbells. And that's with STRICT, slow form. Nothing fast or explosive motion. Nice and concentrated.... When I was in one of my prime fitness levels in high school, I could curl 45 lb dumbbells. The other exercise I do is standing curls with a straight bar (65 lbs total)...... But again, my forearms and shoulders start to get more of the burn that my biceps.

I'm not a big guy by any means. I'm 5'6" and about 140lbs. But I've been training since high school (off and on) and I'm 29 now. Maybe I'm just feeling the effects of my age? :dunno

But either way, I'm just trying to throw in some resistance training to gain some size. I've always had a high metabolism and I hate being skinny. So I'd like just to do some heavy weight and put on some size :cool:

Chris, watch this video it will help a lot, it's hard to really see what you are doing with your wrist, form and grip to see if you are actually doing the bicep curl correctly.

I usually don't go any higher than 35lbs although I could go up to 60lbs in each arm by over compensating but to really concentrate and isolate the muscle it really doesn't take too much weight.

Never curl your wrist while curling and try to bend your wrist to point downwards while doing the curl and you will feel a tremendous difference.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/1dABiiGlP4k&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/1dABiiGlP4k&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/oBzFaG0zFdY&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/oBzFaG0zFdY&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I'm in the same boat as you are Chris...I'm 32, about 153lbs as of right now and only 5'7...So I'm not a big guy either and have a fast metabolism, so if I didn't weight train, I would be really skinny...Overall I'm happy with my results thus far, but I think I can do better, so my goal is to gain at least 5 more pounds of muscle...

Just hang in there and keep doing what your doing man and you'll see the results of your hard work and dedication :)

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as you are Chris...I'm 32, about 153lbs as of right now and only 5'7...So I'm not a big guy either and have a fast metabolism, so if I didn't weight train, I would be really skinny...Overall I'm happy with my results thus far, but I think I can do better, so my goal is to gain at least 5 more pounds of muscle...

Just hang in there and keep doing what your doing man and you'll see the results of your hard work and dedication :)

Thanks man :duff

So you go through the same thing I do! But I'm not looking to get HUGE or anything. I just want to look "fit" and "filled out" :monkey3

Thanks for the video links Ski :D

So I have a Silly question..... Are there any particular exercises to get your neck muscles to fill out? One thing I don't care for on my body is how skinny my neck looks sometimes. So I'm curious if there's anything really to fill it out a bit :dunno

Thanks man :duff

So you go through the same thing I do! But I'm not looking to get HUGE or anything. I just want to look "fit" and "filled out" :monkey3

Oh believe me man, your not the only one that has a hard time building muscle and keeping it on...I've been weight training for about 5 years now, and only now at 32 am I finally happy with my results, so I've learned to do alot of things better thru trial and error over the years....I'm the type of guy that's never completely satisfied and can be hard on myself, so that just motivates me to keep at it and to stay healthy....

I'm not looking to get huge either, just average I guess, but I also would still like to ad a little more muscle and to be more defined...

As far as getting you neck muscles bigger, the best exercise I can think of doing is the dumbbell or barbell shrug to work your traps...I don't think there's a specific exercise to work ur neck, as I don't think you have many muscles in your neck to begin with....Ask Skiman tho, he's the pro that can answer that better than I can, heh

Thanks for the video links Ski :D

So I have a Silly question..... Are there any particular exercises to get your neck muscles to fill out? One thing I don't care for on my body is how skinny my neck looks sometimes. So I'm curious if there's anything really to fill it out a bit :dunno

Build up your traps. I personally still feel shrugs to work best for me.

Build up your traps. I personally still feel shrugs to work best for me.

Yeah. Also, I just started doing behind the back Smith machine shrugs per recommendation on the body building forums. Last week was the first time adding it to my normal shoulder routine and I was extremely sore the next day.

Still hovering at 165, but I lost another belt size so that's good... means I'm losing fat while maintaining muscle. That's the idea! San Diego next week! Hope to see some of you there!

Back