THE PERFECT ANAKIN

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darren's sculpt looks more like Hayden than Vancei's (the Korean) custom, BUT come on guys, that Korean job is the WHOLE ENCHILADA! the guy made everything! the boots are stitched together leather w/ magnets in the soles for posing on a metal plate. they're screen acurate too. boots themselves are amazing. body is a resulpted Neo Guy Volks. real hair (admittedly could be styled better in some pics), working, accurate lightsaber w/ internal power source. he even sculpted the hands. hell, the gift box it comes in is classy! thing is a work of art. gotta give the guy props. still amazes me that 1 guy could do all that.

i agree with what you said in regards to vancei's work. overall, it's better when you compare SSC's...but headsculpt wise? sorry, gotta give it to darren's re-do.

Mookeylama said:
Darren's sculpt looks more like Hayden than Vancei's (the Korean) custom, BUT come on guys, that Korean job is the WHOLE ENCHILADA! the guy made everything! the boots are stitched together leather w/ magnets in the soles for posing on a metal plate. they're screen acurate too. boots themselves are amazing. body is a resulpted Neo Guy Volks. real hair (admittedly could be styled better in some pics), working, accurate lightsaber w/ internal power source. he even sculpted the hands. hell, the gift box it comes in is classy! thing is a work of art. gotta give the guy props. still amazes me that 1 guy could do all that.

It doesn't look horrible. I just don't think it's as nice as SS or the changes made to Andy's sculpt by Darrin and Josh.

Yeah, I prefer the Andy/Darren/Josh Anakin over the Asian one, too. The "real hair" was an ambitious idea and a great effort, but the result is more Fraggle Rockish than realistic, imho.

HOWEVER, I am still extremely impressed with the detailing (especially the lightsaber) on the Asian custom.

They both :rock

Sachiel said:
Looks great. Any pics of it against other figures?

the Korean one or the Sideshow one? If you mean the Sideshow one, pop over to my blog (link at the bottom of this post) there's a ton of pics in there, browse through the categories on the right (I'm the guy who did the re-sculpt.. in case you're thinking "whos this guy" lol)

if you can't be bothered though here's a pic against my other Sideshow figures (which.. yes... I've also tinkered with.. hey, I'm a tinkerer! lol)

EDIT: trouble with image

as for which Anakin is better? I'm sorry... but I have to give it to the Korean one over my custom sculpt, easily... that Anakin is just amazing, in so many respects. (but trust me... I'm flattered beyond words that so many of you are saying the opposite)

Last edited:
Both look good, but I still say Figuremaster Les Walker's Anakin is the best likeness yet(especially when you see it next to the base SS figure in this pic):

anakincustomleswalkermr6.jpg

:cool:

BrooklynWolf X said:
i agree with what you said in regards to vancei's work. overall, it's better when you compare SSC's...but headsculpt wise? sorry, gotta give it to darren's re-do.

The chin is too small on the super custom. Hunky's is better.

Darren Carnall said:
as for which Anakin is better? I'm sorry... but I have to give it to the Korean one over my custom sculpt, easily... that Anakin is just amazing, in so many respects. (but trust me... I'm flattered beyond words that so many of you are saying the opposite)

dude....are you serious? yes, vancei's custom is nice, but come on! don't sell yourself short man. trying to sound as nice as i can...YOUR RESCULPT LOOKS LIKE THE FRIGGIN ACTOR.

granted, you didn't sculpt anakin yourself and you retooled it from andy's original, but one thing you must realize...it takes an artist with a keen eye like yourself to do what you did. i mean, you think it's easy to do what you do? well, i'm not saying it's easy to begin with, but it takes more than looking at pictures and shaving the toy to make it look like hayden. andy does nice work, but if he's sooooo godly, why couldn't his sculpt look like your retool in the beginning. so what does that mean? it means you as an artist are gifted. you're able to see something other sculptors couldn't see.

i'm not trying to stroke your ego man so you can knock a couple bucks off your items. i can't, seeing as how i paid you already lol. seriously though, i'm giving credit where credit is due. andy did a nice job, but you took it to another level. without a doubt in my mind, if and when you begin to sculpt your original work, it will be amazing. vanceis anakin is nice because everything was built from scratch. outfit, lightsaber, head. personally, i take headsculpt over outfit any day. and yours takes the cake.

speaking as an artist myself, i know how you feel. and THANK GOD you're modest. but for real bro, stop knocking your work.

once again, can't wait for anakin...and...dare i say it...legolas.

NOW HEAL UP AND GET TO WORK!!

btw...i'm surprised you haven't retooled rotj luke...what gives??

i'm looking forward to you changing his expression from "i still don't have my power converters..." to "i got my ******* power converters and now i'm gonna kick your ass..."

Brent72 said:
Both look good, but I still say Figuremaster Les Walker's Anakin is the best likeness yet(especially when you see it next to the base SS figure in this pic):

anakincustomleswalkermr6.jpg

:cool:
Wow! Les did a fantastic job with that Anakin repaint. It's so good I had to do a double take before I realized it was the original SSC sculpt.

BrooklynWolf X said:
btw...i'm surprised you haven't retooled rotj luke...what gives??

i'm looking forward to you changing his expression from "i still don't have my power converters..." to "i got my ******* power converters and now i'm gonna kick your ass..."

:rotfl

Ok, Darren, you know what needs to be done. Now get sculpting! ;)

Cocoboloboy said:
Wow! Les did a fantastic job with that Anakin repaint. It's so good I had to do a double take before I realized it was the original SSC sculpt.

Yeah, he is so talented it's not even funny. It's amazing what a professional repaint will do the SS sculpt. :cool:

Just for kicks, some pics of Vancei's custom that are kinda hard to get

picture2rn6.png

picture23my9.png

I personally would love to see Darren's sculpt with real hair,and my favorite version of his sculpt painted is ,well his own. There is something about Darren's paint style that I am really digging,especially around the eyes and the hair.

Cocoboloboy said:

Agreed, I enjoy having one of Les' Anakin Repaints.

There really is some fine (lifelike shading) detail work in the skin.

With Les' magic the sculpt looks enough like the actor to me.

AniObi004.jpg

DSC00351.jpg

I really like Darren's resculpt as well.I just don't own one :monkey2

The fun thing is seeing the different styles of artistry and how each person brings their own thing to the paints. Les, Darren and Mikey all have their own thing that makes them special. I'm just proud to now be in the same league as these guys, it's really an honor.

And Vancei is a true artist... that figure... a full on custom with that kind of original work, it's amazing. I can't say I would go with the real hair, but it's grown on me this last year. Looks better than I initially thought.

I love the vancei anakin... it is amazing...

but when I said perfect, I meant perfect for me.. as in PRICE, SCULPT, AND PAINT..

especially for the price I got this piece for... it's just perfect...

and josh's paint has ALOT of skin detailing and shades... you just can't see them in pictures much..

Back