The Original Luke PF Sculpt

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Collector Freak

Super Freak
Reaction score
Anyone got pics of this? The one shown at SDCC '04 with the original headsculpt?

Edit - Found one!

sideshow_03.jpg

Hehehe! I needed a good laugh. ;) :lol

Not just the head, but look at the clothes too. That was one poor figure all around. The production piece was MUCH nicer.

Last edited:
I can't recall ever seeing a really accurate sculpt of ANH Luke. I guess he just had one of those smooth, plain faces that's tough to truly capture. That car accident seems to have added enough distinguishing characteristics to the face to make ESB/Jedi Luke a little easier to pull off.

Collector Freak said:
It's just hard to believe they thought this was suitable for public display. :lol

Yep, that's pretty terrible. Its a good thing that SS had the sense to make sure the production version, the version that would end up on display in people's homes, was MUCH better.

What company do you collect SW statues from?

obisbstf3.jpg

:)

I am just happy to see CF admit his beloved GG screwed the pooch on the Obi Proto to Production piece he was rubbing in everyones face when the SS 1/6 Obi came out.

Argh, thanks for drudging up this gem.

;)

To offer a little background... The original concept was to portray Luke with a slight 'squint' expression (only natural considering he's gazing into a double sunset). However, the sculpt just wasn't terrific and the oddness only compounded when painted (the painter made too much of the iris & pupil visible (not taking the sculpted 'squint' into consideration) and it comes across a little creepy). In addition, it was apparent that the squint obscured the most important characteristic of Hamill's likeness --his over-sized baby blues-- making the portrait even harder to recognize. And of course we all know how successful the slight-open-mouth look has been for poor Luke. ;)

So began the seemingly endless string of revisions to the Luke PF head sculpt. I think this particular portrait went under the knife (so to speak) no less than 7 different times before getting final approval from Lucasfilm.

Anyway, flame on.... They can't all be winners. :)

Pics of the original first submission--

luke%20pf%201.jpg

luke%20pf%202.jpg

luke%20pf%203.jpg

Unpainted that looks really, really good; I wouldn't make too much of it.

LOTRFan said:
Unpainted that looks really, really good; I wouldn't make too much of it.
I totally agree. Besides Andy it could be worse. At least it isn't the CM Aragorn.

Another interesting lesson in how much the paint job transforms the sculpt.

The painted version just looks weird. But with the unpainted sculpt, I can actually tell that he is squinting. However, I'm glad that in the end they decided not to go that direction. The first Luke PF is still one of my favorites.

Thanks, Andy, for sharing this info. The sculpt looks good unpainted but I'm glad they went with the end result.

Back