The Matrix 4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you at least get the funky pops
5YxTjJJ.gif

I was bored and curious so just watched this at home.

...and I'm not sure *what* I watched.

I don't think it's because it's 'deep' I think it's because it's poorly thought out gobbledy-gook like the third film in particular.

Parts of the film are way too winking-ly, self-indulgently meta-everything, the rest are a watered down re-tread. It's not as stylish as the original or Reloaded. The action isn't as visceral and somehow carries less weight, even when the film inexplicably turns into a zombie movie at the end. The cinematography lacks the beauty of the original while trying to ape it.

I just don't care about these characters, what they're doing or if they survive. Carrie-Anne Moss seems to be sleepwalking through a role she used to set on fire, and Reeves also looks like he's mailing it in relative to the sheer presence and physicality he brings to John Wick.

It almost seems like the director regretted killing off Neo and Trinity in the original trilogy; I know I wasn't happy with it (amongst other things) and now -- sentimental or not -- they get their happy ending.

I don't think this film was necessary, but in my opinion neither were Reloaded or Revolutions. Breaks in logic are glossed over and obfuscated by techno-mystical jargon, while the rest of the film hits you over the head trying to act clever.

Parts of the film are way too winking-ly, self-indulgently meta-everything

The only way you can do a retread these days is if it's self-aware, especially if you're a Wachowski.

Carrie-Anne Moss seems to be sleepwalking through a role she used to set on fire

To be fair, Trinity is literally asleep for most of the movie until Neo awakens her.

I liked it more than most (but then I liked Reloaded and Revolutions too). If we had to have another sequel at least it didn't ruin what came before. It's an optional extra, rather like El Camino was to Breaking Bad.

I liked it more than most (but then I liked Reloaded and Revolutions too). If we had to have another sequel at least it didn't ruin what came before. It's an optional extra, rather like El Camino was to Breaking Bad.
That's another weird sense I got watching this film ... it actually felt like an epilogue. Like it could have been compressed and appended to the original story.

Lana basically admitted the whole thing was therapy for her. To cope with the death of her parents she resurrected two other "significant others" in her life. The life of a Hollywood director to be able to do that!

Now I just wonder if Lily is p***ed at her for "ruining" their legacy.

I just can't jump on board with that line of thinking. Bad is bad and most people don't reflect on films that suck... I don't walk around in deep thought on the societal implications of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen... As a matter of fact I had to really concentrate on terrible movies I've seen to even remember it.

And just because it is tied to a successful trilogy doesn't make it more memorable or worthy of study. I will pretend it never happened. I won't buy it and I'll suggest to newcomers to the franchise to completely ignore the 4th installment. This movie doesn't only suck, it also completely destroys the meaning and depth of the first 3 movies.

This isn't brilliant, it's topping a sundae with a turd.

Lana basically admitted the whole thing was therapy for her. To cope with the death of her parents she resurrected two other "significant others" in her life. The life of a Hollywood director to be able to do that!

Now I just wonder if Lily is p***ed at her for "ruining" their legacy.

Could have just made it a Morpheus film.

With flaskbacks to his beginning and bring back Fishburne for some small scenes in the "present day"

IMHO, a huge problem was that there was nowhere to take Neo and Trinity further. Also the action was IMHO pretty lackluster.

The most interesting part of the film was Jessica Henwick/Bugs. Again, maybe that would have just been a better film. A stand alone with Bugs and mix it with a Morpheus origin story.

I really like Matrix 4. Probably the best teaser trailer I've ever seen, love seeing Keanu back, love the cafe and swarm scenes. It's flawed, but I'll definitely revisit it for years.

To be honest I already can't remember a thing about this film, which says something about how I feel about it. I like the first one and the costumes in the second, maybe a couple of set pieces but I feel this franchise went off course very quickly.

Back