The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power | Amazon Prime Video - September 2, 2022

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still have my nitpicks, but nothing that actually prevents me from enjoying it so far.
I did roll my eyes a couple of times, which prevents it from being actually great for me, but it's by far not as bad as I thought it would be.

For me personally, without picking it apart for every detail at how the production fails Tolkien and/or set, acting, costume details, so far, it lacks the spark that both the Hobbit and LOTR have for me - which will always keep them on the collection shelf, and I don't view many films that way. Even tho there are elements of the Hobbit and LOTR that I would have changed.

So far, I don't find any of the ROP cast particularly charismatic; don't have a better word for it. It's not like watching Bilbo and Gandalf interact on the steps of Bag End, and seeing this well known interaction from the Hobbit come to life, with two amazing actors.

Even among the hysterical negativity IMO there ARE legitimate comments - bugged me too that a couple of high level emissaries apparently strolled several hundred miles with no retinue, supplies, and the same outfits they had had a meeting in a few days ago 😁 . WTF. Look, the Nine Companions were all carrying supplies, so was Thorin's company; doesn't anyone think about the basics if you are spending that kind of money?

There's other "immersion breaks" which just come off as sloppy. IMO it has the same effect as J. Abrams not thinking things through - like he did with the TROS Sith knife that magically needed to line up with wreckage that shouldn't be there anyway. In any event, there's enough story to engage me, but not enough to keep me on the edge of my seat. The writers should have hung out with the Russos, who would talk about loving to write themselves into a corner, e.g. ultimately forcing yourself to look at the narrative you're creating.

Anyone know if this show is still going to be about Annatar?
1662399228542.gif

Hate, no…

But love?

Nope.

I guess I’m the perfect audience for this because I know nothing about the books from that specific age other than it was called Silmarillion with other appendices so I got no stakes in the game with the butchering they’re doing to the age.

At times it feels big maybe even epic but if i’m being honest the first hour was just downright boring and meandering and not riveting and captivating I don’t feel there is a proper narrative moral compass 2 hours in.
I did enjoy the Orc reveal being more “Alien” solo like than the “Aliens” hive orcs from LOTR that was nice world building.

The show looks great it’s big, better than I was expecting.

Galadriel was ok.

Onward to episode 3.

I wish Galadriel looked like this:

View attachment 597774
I’m part of that audience. I don’t know anything about the books and this age.

I was not board cause I just love the look and feel of the show. Nice to be back to middle earth.

We are being reintroduced to this world and introduced to new characters. So I’m not surprised that it’s slow. It should be.

We will see where it goes.

Both my kids were less than impressed.

Recently, started a little review channel with a buddy of mine. He's more of a lore nerd for Tolkien stuff where as I'm more of a movie guy so our discussion is kinda framed with that in mind. If anyone wants to check it out, great! (nsfw)

If you're not into that, I'd say not much happened in these two episodes, but I think I'm interested enough with what the stage is set with to continue. HOTD had a pretty solid entry last night so I hope next week's RoP episode starts to pick up the pace a tad.

For me personally, without picking it apart for every detail at how the production fails Tolkien and/or set, acting, costume details, so far, it lacks the spark that both the Hobbit and LOTR have for me - which will always keep them on the collection shelf, and I don't view many films that way. Even tho there are elements of the Hobbit and LOTR that I would have changed.

So far, I don't find any of the ROP cast particularly charismatic; don't have a better word for it. It's not like watching Bilbo and Gandalf interact on the steps of Bag End, and seeing this well known interaction from the Hobbit come to life, with two amazing actors.

Yeah that was my exact feeling as well after struggling to get through the first episode. None of the actors really grabbed me or had the mountains of charm and charisma that the LOTR or Hobbit cast had, and the entire time I found myself wishing I was watching Cate Blanchett as Galadriel instead, or Hugo Weaving as Elrond. Or Viggo Mortensen as the badass loner type. And it kinda felt like watching one of those direct to DVD sequels back in the day where the entire cast was replaced by generic unknowns.

Plus the fact there seems to be no driving storyline behind everything, except for some vague notion that Sauron is out there somewhere.

But I do keep hearing that the second episode is better than the first, so guess I'll have to give it another chance.

Absolutely 100%
He is essential - and when he turns up things will be on a relatively quick spiral downwards into war, ruin and desolation.
Good! I always thought distributing the rings would make for an interesting story, and give Sauron something to do instead of just being a symbol.

I noticed they've got a smith character in place.

Celebrimbor!
Fantastic character and they are already hinting to his higher ambitions....
Look to his storyline for where Annatar will turn up.

Yeah, he's already talking about order, and altering nature to perfect it. I see his flaws already.

I'm more excited about this show now.

Yeah, he's already talking about order, and altering nature to perfect it. I see his flaws already.

I'm more excited about this show now.

Oh yes - that whole conversation with Elrond, though pleasant on the surface level, was full of subtle red flags for those in the know.
“An age ago our kind brought war to these shores, I want to fill them with beauty, to grow beyond petty works of jewel craft and devise something of real power.”
This is especially telling, in Tolkien's works the word power is never positive, when people forge something or perform a magical feat (or both as they are often one and the same in Tolkien's world - with all forms of creation being a divinely inspired form of magic in one degree or another) they usually refer to it as "art" - "by my art i wish to inspire", "with this art I will heal" etc. Only those with less pure motivations tend to use the language of power.

Theres also the rather horrid fact that in describing the beauty and power of the Simarils, Celebrimbor basically said that the slaughter of Elrond's people and the fate of his parents were somewhat necessary sacrifices in the pursuit of true creation.... subtly of course, but still there....

Yes, Celebrimbor certainly has a lot of his grandfather in him.

I enjoyed the 2nd episode. Eager for #3. Unbelievable budget on this show. Worth the price of admission alone. It should be fun to understand fully this first season and then look back to these early episodes and find much more to them.
2nd much better than the 1st at least for me hopefully the stakes amp up.

Oh yes - that whole conversation with Elrond, though pleasant on the surface level, was full of subtle red flags for those in the know.
“An age ago our kind brought war to these shores, I want to fill them with beauty, to grow beyond petty works of jewel craft and devise something of real power.”
This is especially telling, in Tolkien's works the word power is never positive, when people forge something or perform a magical feat (or both as they are often one and the same in Tolkien's world - with all forms of creation being a divinely inspired form of magic in one degree or another) they usually refer to it as "art" - "by my art i wish to inspire", "with this art I will heal" etc. Only those with less pure motivations tend to use the language of power.

Theres also the rather horrid fact that in describing the beauty and power of the Simarils, Celebrimbor basically said that the slaughter of Elrond's people and the fate of his parents were somewhat necessary sacrifices in the pursuit of true creation.... subtly of course, but still there....

Yes, Celebrimbor certainly has a lot of his grandfather in him.
Even if it turns out to be predictable as long as the journey is enjoyable i’m good.

I don’t expect Batman to die nor do I need him too just give me a good movie.

I agree, I'm not a fan of the "subverting expectations" for its own sake crowd - in my opinion it quickly becomes a cheap exercise in shock factor and it can derail even the best of stories - just look at what it did to Game of Thrones.

Back