The Force Awakens - Figure discussion (with SPOILERS!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of the FO have British accents? I'll raise you Finn. Why doesn't FN-2187 have a British accent if he was raised with the FO? The "law" that Resistance members speak with American accents and the Baddies have British accents has already been broken.

*Imperial Officers have British accents. That's what I meant earlier. I didn't word it right.

In the OT, the Stormtroopers have American accents, just like the Stormtroopers in TFA.

In what language?

That's a crazy theory BTW, I was just screwing around. Clearly so was the guy who likely started this "theory" in the same way and, like so many others I've read in here, it still gets mileage from rabid fans.

Swedish. As big as the EU was.... literally the tiniest unplanned detail of TFA can be somehow tied back to the EU for some connection or rumor. :lol

What a crock of **** LMAO!!! What else is "inconsequential"? Snoke's background? The origin of the Knights of Ren?

Well, let's say I have as much interest in who Rey's mom is as Lucas had in who Anakin's father was. Is that easier for you to understand?

I know she's a Skywalker -- which means she's either Luke's daughter (most likely) or Leia's daughter, and that's all that's really important.

Maybe Rey's mom, Luke's wife, lets call her Mara Jade 2.0 for now, died before the events of the movie, with Luke upon her death promising that for the rest of his days he shall take no other lover. Luke thought Rey was dead too, which explains why he never went out looking for her. I'll be cool with that simple explanation.

Maybe his wife is the reincarnation of Padme, because why not? :naughty

That's my bet as well.... and likely to save Rey (his sister/cousin).

It's also much more fitting... he then does complete what Vader started.

i would hope there are larger plans for Kylo than mimicking Vader's story line...

I'm assuming the "article" you mention is my posting? Slightly confused.

We disagree on the movie where the spacemen go PEWPEWPEW. This means WAR, Talibane. You hear me? WAR. ;)

I wrote "article" but meant your L.A. Times reference, and on the fly I was conflating that with a number of articles aiming to takedown TFA and Disney.

And I think most would agree that you can't compare men who volunteer to serve their democratic nation as both a career and a duty - call them "grunts" if you will - with men who are (apparently - it's totally unclear, but he only has a number) bred and raised from infancy solely to militarily serve a dictatorship/militant group whose modus operandi appears to be the routine massacre of innocents, sometimes by the millions - evil acts directly ordered from the highest levels of their command.:dunno

Well, now we're falling into the geek trap of arguing deeply about an admittedly shallow fictional construct. Do the First Order troops see themselves as "bad guys"? Probably not. And it's open to speculation how much inner life or personality they actually have. I know stormtroopers on board DS stood around bored and talked about whatever, which seems pretty "human" to me, moral and ethical judgements aside. Finn's former compatriot displayed genuine outrage and emotion when he screamed "Traitor!".

What I'm saying is that Finn didn't have to be steely-eyed and soul-less. Socially awkward, sure, and that he was, to an extent.

They just really and honestly aren't the same thing - at all.

See above. My argument is that stormtroopers are bad guys but they're also human enough, and Finn was neither hardened nor did he have a lack of compassion. Training and indoctrination failed to suppress his better nature. Not so unbelievable. I suspend disbelief for MUCH, much more when I watch Star Wars. ;)

Without any further information about Finn's upbringing, it's actually hard to really make an argument one way or the other - and that omission of any detail is another of TFA's "have my cake and eat it too" problems re: Finn. They don't want to say "clone" because it brings to mind the PT and it's a little weird to have Rey interact with a clone, yet they just give Finn a number and his apparent "raised to be a stormtrooper" thing (and Poe's reaction to that apparently odd fact) - two things which just don't add up.

Ah, see...I just don't give it too much thought. The same way I don't give the physics of TIE fighters flying combat maneuvers in atmosphere much thought.

Oh, but nice-guy Finn turns against it because he's not that kinda guy.

Yes! Because Star Wars is about good guys vs bad guys. :D

This is not "cynical" - it's just looking deeply at what's onscreen, what people have done with SW since 1977.

Agreed, it's just good old-fashioned geeking out, in your case -- but it's also -- wait for it -- IT'S A TRAP!

It would be heartbreaking for Leia if he isn't "redeemed" at some point.

maybe he'll have an epiphany from his grandfather, his idol, and realize Snoke has been lying to him. Thus he'll join Rey to defeat their common enemy. A parallel between Luke redeeming his father, and Anakin redeeming his grandson

Well, there's no arguing against an opinion. But I'll put in mine :wink1: I, for one, think TFA lived up to the hype. While there were a lot of similarities in plot/theme to ANH, the new characters were far from carbon copies of the original line-up. Perhaps that's why it's difficult to say who the "new (insert OT character here" is. Poe is a dashing, brave, pilot but unlike Han - or Luke - in many ways. The same can be said for Rey and Finn. He's definitely not a snore. I seem to recall another character, a certain bounty hunter perhaps, that didn't need a whole lot of lines or screen time to win people over? :lol I'm sure that based on the fan response, we'll be getting a more fleshed-out Poe in Ep 8 and 9. I'm also looking forward to his comic coming out in April.

I thought John Boyega was very charismatic. Finn is the 'average Joe,' the audience insert in the new trilogy. He has much fear in him but he shows himself to be loyal and caring. That was his true fault when it came to being a Stormie - he cared too much. When his friend Slip (I think that's what his name was, at least) died and he saw the FO executing villagers it pushed him over the edge and he ran. I don't think Finn needed to have a lot more edge to him... the scuffle on Jakku was his first real battle after all. I can see where you'd say he was "too goofy" but I thought he brought a welcome levity that wasn't overbearing or obnoxious. As for his "lack of sex appeal," one of the things I like about Star Wars is that they don't cast Abercrombie models. Just because John Boyega won't be strutting the catwalk any time soon doesn't mean he isn't a good pick for the role. Heck, neither Mark Hamill or Harrison Ford were "classically handsome." And for the record, I thought John was adorable :monkey3

As for BB-8, I loved the little guy. He was more expressive and mobile than R2 (who put himself in low power mode after Luke disappeared, by the way). I thought his relationship with Rey, Finn, and Poe was one of the sweetest parts of TFA. Comparisons are always going to be drawn between R2 and BB-8, but I think he suits the story and the characters going forward. Of course, everything Disney does and will do is skewed toward marketing the movies they make until they can squeeze every last drop of money from the fans. That being said, I thought TFA had a lot of heart, a sincerely respectful attitude towards the OT and the returning cast, and ended up being a great first entry into the new trilogy. Now that they've laid a solid base, they can take more liberties and have more originality moving into Ep 8/9.

Mark Hamill was 100% "classically handsome" in a 1970's sense - he was an Abercrombie-type pretty boy who looked like a 50/50 genetic hybrid of Shaun Cassidy and Tom Cruise (the reason people see Cruise in every Hamill sculpt.)

And sex appeal has nothing to do with being "classically handsome" or restricted to people who "strut the catwalk." Daniel Craig has sex appeal yet has a rugged palooka face, and look at Jack Nicholson or even Mick Jagger. People who without their celebrity wouldn't be anywhere near a catwalk, or be considered classically handsome. Sex appeal has to do with that intangible; charisma - Boyega may be "adorable" like the big brother characters in Disney TV shows in that goofball way, but he doesn't have a whole lot of sex appeal or charisma as Finn.

We disagree on the movie where the spacemen go PEWPEWPEW. This means WAR, Talibane. You hear me? WAR. ;)

I wrote "article" but meant your L.A. Times reference, and on the fly I was conflating that with a number of articles aiming to takedown TFA and Disney.

Well, now we're falling into the geek trap of arguing deeply about an admittedly shallow fictional construct. Do the First Order troops see themselves as "bad guys"? Probably not. And it's open to speculation how much inner life or personality they actually have. I know stormtroopers on board DS stood around bored and talked about whatever, which seems pretty "human" to me, moral and ethical judgements aside. Finn's former compatriot displayed genuine outrage and emotion when he screamed "Traitor!".

What I'm saying is that Finn didn't have to be steely-eyed and soul-less. Socially awkward, sure, and that he was, to an extent.

See above. My argument is that stormtroopers are bad guys but they're also human enough, and Finn was neither hardened nor did he have a lack of compassion. Training and indoctrination failed to suppress his better nature. Not so unbelievable. I suspend disbelief for MUCH, much more when I watch Star Wars. ;)

Ah, see...I just don't give it too much thought. The same way I don't give the physics of TIE fighters flying combat maneuvers in atmosphere much thought.

Yes! Because Star Wars is about good guys vs bad guys. :D

Agreed, it's just good old-fashioned geeking out, in your case -- but it's also -- wait for it -- IT'S A TRAP!

Oh. Well, the "article" was actually a review written by their longtime, respected film critic Kenneth Turan. To say that he "follows the same cynical we're-so-cool formula I see all over the web" is just silly.

And you say "training and indoctrination failed to suppress his better nature" but what I'm saying is that's not onscreen - very little is, so a stormtrooper turning good guy has little meaning. And so as a character, he's underwhelming because we have no context at all - how can you judge his "indoctrination" and his "better nature" when none of it is defined at all? So it's a basic concept - stormtrooper-turns-good - and nothing more. And Boyega's fine, but as Turan points out, he doesn't bring much more to the role in the sense that really good actors can make even lackluster characters come to life (Isaac/Poe being a good example.)

And... okay... we shouldn't discuss this because it's a pew-pew-pew movie. Yep, the kids do indeed love their stormie-turns-good action figure. Shame on me for falling into the "geek trap" - and wanting more as a moviegoer and fan... from a story that's intended to take its place right alongside the classic saga.:dunno:lol

Rey's accent is already a huge clue.

Not really. Ridley using her native Brit accent was an aesthetic choice settled on by Abrams and herself. She did read with an American accent (like Boyega) in early rehearsals but it was decided that her own accent actually worked better for the character. Again fans are (probably) reading way too much into it.

This is the plot I want to see.

I agree with this. I also want a movie staring Ewan Mcgregor as Ben Kenobi. He was one of the few redeeming things from the prequels and there is a lot of story they could fill with his time on Tatooine.

I agree with this. I also want a movie staring Ewan Mcgregor as Ben Kenobi. He was one of the few redeeming things from the prequels and there is a lot of story they could fill with his time on Tatooine.
Ewan is 100% on board with this too; he's made tons of comments about hoping he gets recast and no one else gets the role. He was the shining star of the prequels and I want him to have a chance to redeem that role into some solid films. He loves it as much as we do too, I believe.

"TIL that during filming of Star Wars: Episode I, Ewan McGregor kept imitating the noise of his lightsaber during the fights even though George Lucas explained many times that this would be added in by the special effects people later on. Ewan said "I keep getting carried away"." (Reddit/IMDB)

That would be a bigger twist than Rey turning out to be a Skywalker at this point! But she does look like the Skywalker women (Padme and Shmi, particularly).
You make a point with the appearance. But I think the Ben relation is the better narrative because the story comes full circle. Obi Wan trained Anakin's son, and now Luke will Train Ben's relative. The circle is complete.

You make a point with the appearance. But I think the Ben relation is the better narrative because the story comes full circle. Obi Wan trained Anakin's son, and now Luke will Train Ben's relative. The circle is complete.

I really like that concept! And a Kenobi heritage might mean we'd get another (bigger) Ewan McGregor cameo - which would be fantastic. Honestly, as long as they execute it well, I'll be fine with whichever lineage they give Rey.

The idea of Rey being a Skywalker on either side makes no sense.

Everyone is in a hurry to tie Rey's parentage back to either Luke or Leia because it is just a "Star Wars-y" thing to do, but all logic behind it falls apart when you think about it. If Rey is a Skywalker, don't you think its weird that neither Leia nor Han recognized her or acted as if they knew her in any way?

Even if she is Luke's daughter, it is heavily implied that Luke was quite close and involved with Leia and Han up until he went into exile only a handful of years (if that) prior to the start of the movie. Don't you think its weird that he would have never mentioned his daughter to either of them, let alone that he up and abandoned her in a desert junkyard over a decade before Kylo killed his new Jedi?

As far as her parentage goes, for me there are only two feasible options:

1. She has no father because she is a reincarnation of Anakin Skywalker and another immaculate conception. There's a theory I read that makes alot of interesting points, the main one being that Rey's 19 years prior to her awakening in TFA were a form of purgatory for Anakin in that Rey/Anakin was stranded on a planet filled with sand (which Anakin despised), forced to work for scraps (Anakin hated slavery) and ripped away from family (Anakin never got over losing his mother). It would definitely explain her ridiculously advanced Jedi abilities that literally manifested over the course of one night. Snoke's speech about "There's been an awakening, the Dark Side and The Light" would fit given that Anakin represents both Light and Dark and has now awakened via Rey. The lightsaber calling to her bit also works better this way.

2. She's Luke's daughter.

Back