The First FANTASTIC FOUR was Terribly Underrated!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree about the casting of Mr. Fantastic and Sue. They don't quite come out how I picture them from the comics.

Nitro said:
I liked the first Fantastic Four movie. It wasn't attrocius and it wasn't great. It was something in between, but a decent popcorn movie to watch on a rainy day.

I may have to go to the library and check it out.

Usually I scoop up every Marvel/Comic book movie on DVD. FF is the only one I haven't to date, even if it already came out in Blu-Ray. With its 3rd time's a charm 2-disc version coming soon, I'm still trying to figure out if it's even worth picking up. Yes, it was that bad for me. In an age where special effects abound, a good script is what separates a movie from being mediocre. Unfortunately, no matter how you splice and dice this one, it's mediocre at best.

This is on reason why the Doom PF has no appeal to me, because the movie did not a convert make me. Doom should've been larger than life. Just as with Doc Ock and Green Goblin before him in the Spidey movies . . . credible villains make all the difference. Doom in FF just didn't seem menacing.

FYI, the Blu Ray version looks VERY nice for those who are thinking about it.

Worth the money IMO.

Yep, as much as the PQ is improved, the supplements from the SD DVD version did not port too well to the BD version. You think that with the BD version that they would go balls-to-the-wall with the supplements!

Movies are such a personal thing that people tend to believe that their personal reaction is somehow universal. They confuse their bad time at the movies as somehow the movie's fault. I think this is the reason so many people underrate FF -- a lot of people went in expecting Spider Man or Batman Begins and when they didn't get it, they blamed the movie (which isn't the movie's fault as it never tried to be Batman Begins).

I was personally disappointed while watching FF because I am more of a fan of Batman Begins and X2 and the Punisher and Daredevil. But I could tell that the audience, which was made of younger viewers and some families, enjoyed it greatly. I went to Burger King afterward and overheard some preteens who loved it. That's what makes a movie good or not, (not one person's personal response but) whether it is enjoyed by its audience.

for any fan of the comic book, that movie was a complete waste and utter disappointment.

I found it entertianing thats what i look for in movies.

Bonehead15 said:
You are correct sir. :clap :clap

IT SUCKED EVEN MORE THAN EVERYBODY ELSE SAID. :monkey3

Agreed. No matter how one tries to justify the turd, to me, it's still a turd.:rotfl

I am not crazy about the film but I did not hate it either. My kids liked it more than I did. I agree about Reed and Sue. Needed to be recast.

BrianK said:
I am not crazy about the film but I did not hate it either. My kids liked it more than I did. I agree about Reed and Sue. Needed to be recast.

I think at least Sue, Alba just doesn't fit that role, she should have been like Shadow Cat in X-Men or something. I think Jessica Biel would've been a better fit if they wanted a younger actress, not that Alba is terrible, just doesn't fit. She's got more of the "mall girl" look, and Sue was waayyy classier than that.

What really gets me is that Sue is blond, there are a lot of talented Blond women out there in Hollywood. Why get a beautiful brunette and have her dye her hair? Same goes for Mary Jane....I don't know about anyone else but Kirsten Dunst doesn't appear to be the pillar of the acting community, such a great Thespian that we couldn't possibly do this film without her type and a redhead could have easily been casted...not to mention in the books MJ is a model, Dunst definitely isn't portraying that role....Now we have Gwen Stacy? A redhead casted to dye her hair blond and play a role? It makes me want to slam my head in the wall.

Sue, Reed and Ben were all supposed to be older, more mature character with Johnny being the young, loose cannon. That is one of the endearing traits of the Fantastic Four is that they have the family unit thing going on. I think they honestly should have casted an actress in their mid 30s for Sue and of course a natural blond....but what do I know right?

I don't really remember the comic. I had a some as a child and I watched the cartoon (the one with the stupid robot and not the Johnny Storm).

But as just a film. I thought it was pretty BAD.

I thought the film had a good opening 15 min. Then they got their powers. Then the film went way down hill. The humour just did not work. It was not funny. I don't mind a light hearted film but this bordered on stupidity.

I thought it was a better film then the unreleased F4 but not by much.

I thought Thing looked silly and actually felt that the unrealesed Thing was better in some ways.

I like who they they cast as Doom but HATED Mr Fantastic.

I put this one right above Electra and equal with Ghost Rider and The Punisher.

Hope Spider-man 3 is good (I am sure it will be) because Marvel movies have been pretty poor the last few times.

Back