The Fear of Price Drops on Your Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sell them all when you can? Then invest in USA bonds <--- freaking good investment ....

YES !!!!!

52c4_1_4040_1.JPG

Honestly, everything that I buy (toy related) I would never EVER sell unless under extreme circumstances. Like most of you, I buy stuff that I like, not stuff that I can sell later on. People that think like are the stupid bastard flippers that everybody hate :lol

Yes I fear price drops in the secondary market. I don't spend thousands of dollars on anything and think that if I had to sell it it would be worth next to nothing(like I did on Hasbro Star Wars toys and Playmates Star trek figures).
Honestly, you spend lots of money on high priced collectibles and think "who cares what they may be worth"..yeah right!

I think I'm more bummed by receiving a figure and finding that in-hand it isn't worth what I paid for it.

I bought a Medicom Kamen Rider a year ago and it was awesome. So when I bought a second one I was not only surprised at how crap it was, I was crapped off that no way would another idiot pay for this what I just did.

If I open a box and see $200 worth of value, I don't care what it'll be worth in the future. But opening a $200 figure box and seeing $50 worth of value... that sucks. Medicom burned me 4 times like that before I finally learned to lose faith in them. Doesn't seem to happen with HT though :)

I am never going to sell any statues/figures of mine, unless its a life and death situation. That being said, does resale value cross my mind? Of course. But does it determine whether or not I buy something? NO. Resale value only comes to mind when I read threads and I see people hyping statues and then later going on to sell them for profit a month after release. Resale value is worthless to me, if they become literally $1 items, then more for me. I buy these things for their sculptural value and artistic aesthetics. I buy it because I think they would make cool office displays or would look awesome near my tv. Now since you make your own money, you can buy for whatever reason you like. But be wary that constantly thinking about the values of your items may drive you up a wall. Just enjoy them because they are awesome, trust me its literally carefree collecting(in terms of resale value).

I think I'm more bummed by receiving a figure and finding that in-hand it isn't worth what I paid for it.

I bought a Medicom Kamen Rider a year ago and it was awesome. So when I bought a second one I was not only surprised at how crap it was, I was crapped off that no way would another idiot pay for this what I just did.

If I open a box and see $200 worth of value, I don't care what it'll be worth in the future. But opening a $200 figure box and seeing $50 worth of value... that sucks. Medicom burned me 4 times like that before I finally learned to lose faith in them. Doesn't seem to happen with HT though :)
Truth, valid point as well. I think more about if I could get things for a lesser price down the line, rather than if they will be a greater price in the future. And obviously quality should be essential.

I'll never sell my figures, I've seen some of my figures triple in price on evilbay, no temptation there at all.

Man, I dunno. When I hear people say stuff like "I'll never sell anything I own", it boggles my mind.

Never? Ever? Only under extreme circumstances?

Look, I buy stuff because I like it. Period. I never make a purchase with any intent other than "I like that. I want it."

But the thing is, they just...keep...making stuff. Every year, every month, almost every day, companies like HT and SSC crank out product that I like and - I don't know about the rest of you - I just don't have the space to display it all. Frankly, even if I did, I'm just not a fan of stuffed-to-the-gills Detolfs and rows of 7 foot tall bookcases lined with hundreds of 1/6 figures. It's just not my thing.

What about Bespin Luke? I already have a 12" Bespin Luke by Sideshow. It was the best 1/6 representation of that character in that outfit at the time so I bought it. Should I display it side-by-side with the infinitely better Hot Toys version I'm sure to buy? What about Indy? How many Iron Men do I really need? Jokers? Batmen? Terminators?

Have none of you ever simply drifted away from a collecting focus? I'm sure there are plenty of you who were Star Wars completists and have since abandoned that practice after realizing that you were blindly buying a bajillion candy-colored Clones and PT-era Jedi that you had no emotional attachment to. Should you just keep all those figures even if you don't really love them?

What about simply growing up and moving on? There are hardcore collectors - guys who love this stuff with all of their hearts - who've all but given up the hobby because they had a child and realized that their priorities were a little out of whack.

It's not as simple as "buy what you like and never even think about selling". Proudly stating your intent to "never" sell as if it makes you a more serious collector is (for lack of a better term) a little naive. There are all kinds of reasons why someone might eventually want to sell a piece or two from time to time.

Hot diggity damn, I'm long-winded today. :monkey3

Man, I dunno. When I hear people say stuff like "I'll never sell anything I own", it boggles my mind.

Never? Ever? Only under extreme circumstances?

Look, I buy stuff because I like it. Period. I never make a purchase with any intent other than "I like that. I want it."

But the thing is, they just...keep...making stuff. Every year, every month, almost every day, companies like HT and SSC crank out product that I like and - I don't know about the rest of you - I just don't have the space to display it all. Frankly, even if I did, I'm just not a fan of stuffed-to-the-gills Detolfs and rows of 7 foot tall bookcases lined with hundreds of 1/6 figures. It's just not my thing.

What about Bespin Luke? I already have a 12" Bespin Luke by Sideshow. It was the best 1/6 representation of that character in that outfit at the time so I bought it. Should I display it side-by-side with the infinitely better Hot Toys version I'm sure to buy? What about Indy? How many Iron Men do I really need? Jokers? Batmen? Terminators?

Have none of you ever simply drifted away from a collecting focus? I'm sure there are plenty of you who were Star Wars completists and have since abandoned that practice after realizing that you were blindly buying a bajillion candy-colored Clones and PT-era Jedi that you had no emotional attachment to. Should you just keep all those figures even if you don't really love them?

What about simply growing up and moving on? There are hardcore collectors - guys who love this stuff with all of their hearts - who've all but given up the hobby because they had a child and realized that their priorities were a little out of whack.

It's not as simple as "buy what you like and never even think about selling". Proudly stating your intent to "never" sell as if it makes you a more serious collector is (for lack of a better term) a little naive. There are all kinds of reasons why someone might eventually want to sell a piece or two from time to time.

Hot diggity damn, I'm long-winded today. :monkey3

I think you are reading some of the "never sell posts" in a general context. Me personally, I was stating it in the context of resale value. If I have a kid or simply don't like the hobby, i would sell stuff or pass it down to someone else. And I'm sorry if you mistook the tone of my post. Not saying we are better collectors or anything, just that you may enjoy the hobby more (and even stay in the hobby longer) if you enjoy what you buy for what they are instead of the secondary market that surrounds them.

I am never going to sell any statues/figures of mine, unless its a life and death situation. That being said, does resale value cross my mind? Of course. But does it determine whether or not I buy something? NO. Resale value only comes to mind when I read threads and I see people hyping statues and then later going on to sell them for profit a month after release. Resale value is worthless to me, if they become literally $1 items, then more for me. I buy these things for their sculptural value and artistic aesthetics. I buy it because I think they would make cool office displays or would look awesome near my tv. Now since you make your own money, you can buy for whatever reason you like. But be wary that constantly thinking about the values of your items may drive you up a wall. Just enjoy them because they are awesome, trust me its literally carefree collecting(in terms of resale value).

Well said.

Nope. I don't worry about resale value. I get stuff to enjoy them. Whatever priced I paid for something I felt it was worth it.

:lecture

Yup. Assess the price, figure out if price = perceived value for you, and go from there. Each time I see something sell for less than what I paid, I see it as a good deal —not a kick to the junk because I paid more.

I'll be keeping my figures until I die and pass them on. Thats until my money hungry grandson with his hair slicked back trys to sell them and then the family has to battle him to get custudy of the figure's. In the end they all learn a lesson and find a letter written by me at the end of the movi... errr conflict saying somthing nice. Thats all I want.

The money I spend on collectibles is money that is gone. If I need money that bad, the value of my collectibles is the last thing on my mind.

1/6 scale stuff is going to be worthless in a couple decades. Better versions will be out that puts our stuff to shame. That's just the progression of that line of collecting. Statues are a little more secure, but by just how much I wouldn't venture. They're interpretations and sculpture more along the line of art rather than a pose-able representation trying to be most accurate to on-screen, source material.

Hot Toys will DX or DX 2.0 anything that sells, and I'll be buying Joker 7.0 if I'm still in the hobby :lol

Well, as a collector I only have one great fear, and that is the fear of price drops on my figures. At first I was a happy collector buying my sideshow star wars figures, and then I moved onto hot toys. THis decision was due in part to my love of superheroes and their movies, and the amazing quality of HT figures. Now that I look at ebay's completed listings, my Sideshow star wars figures are worth almost nothing, and I am just afraid that the same thing may happen to my precious HT figures.

:dunno you loose some and you win some. I got a HT Bruce Lee DX 3 weeks ago, got the SSC Ex i sold it @ ebay for a good price :yess: I think it depend what line and character :dunno i been wanting to get HT Blade but so expensive also Robocop. I think hot toys wont loose their value maybe some like MJ thriller and Terminator sarah connor figures

It's nice to be able to recoup some of the cost of an expensive collectible if your taste or interests change or to fund an anticipated upcoming release with the proceeds from a figure you no longer have as much enthusiasm for.
I agree that you should collect what you love and not what you think will be valuable, but no matter how much I love the hot toys iron man figures I would not have bought a single one if I thought that two years from now they would be sold for $40 on eBay.
Man I hope I did not just jinx us all :)

Yes riky thats exactly wjhat I'm taljking about. I mean I love my figures but I want my collection to be worth something, and be proud of that.

This hobby can be real frustrating causing in great loss and suffering but thats what makes it fun when you get the reward in the end.

Back