The Expanded Universe

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much of the EU do you consider to be Star Wars?

• Total voters
EU based on the PT is much more palatable to me than EU based on the OT.

So yeah, Clone Wars is ok.

I like the EU stuff that take place thousands of years before the movies cause they have fresh new characters and stories. KOTOR at least to me had a better story than the last 3 movies. Most of the EU stuff that takes place during or after the movies are just meh imo. The exceptions for me are TFU and the Dark Forces series.

EU pre-ROTJ = mostly very good, EU post-ROTJ = mostly very bad. Del Ray has done some ok stuff post ROTJ, but Bantam put them into impossible circumstances. Traitor was an excellent novel.

Much of the EU I could take or leave, but there are several things that I would buy without hesitation. Those being:

Any KOTOR character
Mara Jade
Thrawn
Kyle Katarn
Quinlan Vos

EU pre-ROTJ = mostly very good, EU post-ROTJ = mostly very bad. Del Ray has done some ok stuff post ROTJ, but Bantam put them into impossible circumstances. Traitor was an excellent novel.

Exactly how I feel. The best of pre-ROTJ EU was The Rise of Darth Vader book. It was better in a lot of ways than the PT movies really.

I like all Star Wars. Grew up with OT but I also like PT (I don't like a few things about PT but I can't do much about this). I also like most of the EU: CW, books, comics. When collecting there's another story: I only collect OT/EU Imperials - no PT.

As far as EU, I tend not to include much beyond the core movies. The exception I have are books by Timothy Zahn and Karen Traviss. Zahn's writing and characterization is simply superb and holds more to the feel of the original movies than Lucas' prequels did. Karen Traviss is right up there as well for her Republic Commando books, which were excellently written and provided a lot of insights into clone and Mandalorian culture, not to mention all the questions she raised about how the Jedi and the Old Republic could so easily accept an army of slaves.

As for the rest...well, good stuff is few and far between. Much of it is simply rubbish (ESPECIALLY anything that Kevin J Anderson has touched) and I tend to ignore a lot of it.

After seeing the Clone Wars movie the other week I have been turned some what off Star Wars. There was nothing redeeming about it. Jabba couldn’t even save it for me. They turned him into a wimp. I had my other half ask me afterwards what I thought. I said. 'I never thought I would say this about something to do with Star Wars, but it was ^^^^. Don't bother seeing it"

Sure I still love the Old and new trilogy and always will, but I have no interest in seeing anything new. I take that back will check out the live action series when it hits.

When I was younger I enjoyed reading some of the EU books. Love the books Such as Tales from Jabba’s Palace etc… I think the main problem is they seem to have this fixation on the clone Wars period and inundating it with too much info.

Back