The Evil Within by The Creator Of Resident Evil Shinji Mikami

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Incidentally, I've been hearing a LOT of good news for AI and I've been hearing a lot of mixed stuff about this one.

Stuff I've been reading here (and heck everywhere) makes me want to hold back from buying this game immediately. Conceptually, the village "zombies" feel like a rehash of RE4. Okay since Mikami made that, let's say it was "self-homage", but there's just no excuse for "The Keeper" (aka Boxhead). Pushing aside that it's an obvious ripoff/homage of Pyramid Head (your choice), the uninspired and piecemeal nature of the design looks so haphazard to the point that there's almost no artistry to it (seriously a monster called "The Keeper" with a safe for its head? probably symbolizes dirty little secrets of some sort). I just hope that all the negative crits I've heard about this game will lower my expectations enough that I'll find myself enjoying it once I get around to playing it.

EDIT - Didn't know about this but taken from someone's post in another forum:
So apparently the safe-headed guy with the hammer is a ripoff of a parody of Pyramid Head that appeared as an easter egg in a Silent Hill spinoff game.
311088_10151415805758526_1957754340_n.jpg

That's so meta.

I don't know how to feel about this...

If nobody posted, gaming heads has a Keeper statue. The exclusive is **** with the extra alt head but the regular is p' nice.

from Twitter...

It looks like Ice-T likes this game... :lol

ICE T @FINALLEVEL · 23h 23 hours ago
Gamer News: I've been playing 'The Evil Within' DOPE! Reminds me of the first Resident Evil.. The game that got me INTO video games.

Yeah i see the similarities too. Like in resident evil where you are shooting explosive crossbow bolts, disarming expolsives and bear trap whilst throwing glass bottles to stumble enemies that comprise of barbed wire. Or maybe he is referring to like in Resident Evil when you could upgrade your life bar and stamina in between warping between worlds trapped inside of somebodies imagination. Or not having to worry about inventory management because theres no locked doors and areas that need something to progress usually present themselves a minute before hand. Or maybe all the scripted chase sequences and set pieces such as literal cities blowing up.

Gotta love how Evil within gets statues but Last of us has yet to get ****.......... lmao I find it funny.

Right? Its ****ing weird. ****ing Titanfall a game with no story involved gets all these figures and Pyramid head knockoff gets a statue but a game with so much figure potential gets zilch.:lol

I'm glad evil within got a statue. Might not be the game we were all expecting but I still enjoyed most of it.

Might buy the statue dunno yet.

Gotta love how Evil within gets statues but Last of us has yet to get ****.......... lmao I find it funny.

Yeah, I don't get it. Only thing I can think of is Naughty Dog wants too much for license. :dunno

Last edited:
I finally started playing yesterday and got through the first three chapters. So far, I'm not a big fan. I really don't like the control mechanics and visuals very much. I turned the grain right down on my display since it didn't really add to the experience for me. Also, the aim mechanics are occasionally off. For example, I'm zoomed in on a slow moving zombie's head and the shot hits the window beside it. Overall, this doesn't really feel like a next gen game to me. I'll finish the game but it's definitely not one I would try to platinum.

so .. after disabling some traps and found a treasure like box i got thrilled :D .. and then opened it... poof ...i got pissed.. and still pissed about it .. that is unfair

Yeah that pissed me off at first, because its super unclear how to " check " so you just hold it down and you are blown to bits. In an area which you are meant to take your time and be stealth no less. I think i spent about 60 minutes on that section. Thats when i started to liken the game to Dark Souls. You die, die and die again. The surprise death treasure boxes are like, straight out of Dark Souls.

i'll just avoid treasure boxes from now on .. it's unfair to know what might be hidden in there .. i just finished Chapter 3 with the frustrating Chainsaw dude .. so far the game is disappointing me .. only + is Chapter 1.

I played a couple more chapters last night so now I'm on Chapter 6. I did enjoy it more than initially. Maybe because I'm now used to it. I still think the controls are crap. I love aiming at someone's head and seeing the bullet hit the wall beside it or pressing a button to interact with something just to find the character has slightly moved off of it so the button doesn't work.
:gah:

so .. after disabling some traps and found a treasure like box i got thrilled :D .. and then opened it... poof ...i got pissed.. and still pissed about it .. that is unfair

Yea it is a boring game I game couldn't complete it lost interest.

I know they're two completely different titles but has anyone here played Sunset Overdrive? I can't decide if I want it, or Evil Within....

Back