The end of an era - At The Movies final broadcast this weekend

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoboDad

Super Freak
Reaction score
I couldn't find any other threads, but I thought this deserved at least a passing mention.

After 35 years on the air in one form or another, At the Movies is ending its run with this weekends broadcast. Started in 1975 by film critics Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert as Sneak Previews, the show grew to become something of a pop culture icon, causing the catchphrase "two thumbs up!" to become well-known in almost all American households for decades.

But now, with Siskel gone, and Ebert's health making it impossible for him to ever return, even quality critics such as A. O. Scott and Michael Phillips can't recapture the magic, and with flagging ratings, Disney has decided to put the show out to pasture for good.

I will miss this show, which has been part of my weekly routine for more than a quarter of a century.

For me, that show ceased to exist when Ebert left. I do have fond memories of watching Siskel and Ebert as a youngster and teenager, though. Back in the pre-internet days, there was really nothing analogous to it.

Agreed. At least they have all the past reviews on the web. I love going back and reminiscing. I for one could never stand Roeper.

For me, that show ceased to exist when Ebert left. I do have fond memories of watching Siskel and Ebert as a youngster and teenager, though. Back in the pre-internet days, there was really nothing analogous to it.

Even with the internet, there is nothing analogous. Sure, I use sites such as RT, BOM, and a few others to get lots of good information, but there was something unique about the format of the show that made viewers feels as if they were sitting right there in the balcony with Gene and Roger, talking about the movies.

Agreed. At least they have all the past reviews on the web. I love going back and reminiscing. I for one could never stand Roeper.
Yep, the online archive has all of the Disney-owned reviews from 1986 forward, and most of the reviews from 1982-1986 (prior to Disney acquiring the property) can be found on Youtube. Unfortunately, very few of the 1975-1982 reviews can be found anywhere, if copies even exist any more.

I've watched it ever since I was a kid back when it was on PBS. I even continued to watch it when the two Bens hosted the show (although not as often since it was pretty awful then). But I thought Scott and Phillips have been doing a good job. It's too bad Disney decided to pull the plug. I have a feeling their feud with Ebert may have had something to do with it.

I haven't watched At The Movies in years. It was THE way to get the scoop on movies when I was a kid though and I tried catching it every week then.

I may have to check out some of the older episodes sometime.

But are there any decent substitutes out there? I've watched this show forever now, and it's always been great to get a sneak peek at what is out in theatres and whether it might be decent or not. Watching this show also introduced me to all those small independent films and films just in limited release that I would otherwise not even hear of or care about.
Loved Siskel and Ebert, but after that I didn't care who hosted it. Still watched it and got my sneak peeks and reminders of what's opening that weekend.
So now what???? Internet of course, but it was nice to just chill in front the tv and let them do the work for you.

Honestly after Siskel died, this show lost its appeal. Ebert has bought into his own hype and right after that the show became unwatchable. Ebert is funny in a random twitter comment here and there (not funny enough to follow) but the show should have been put down a while ago.

But are there any decent substitutes out there? I've watched this show forever now, and it's always been great to get a sneak peek at what is out in theatres and whether it might be decent or not. Watching this show also introduced me to all those small independent films and films just in limited release that I would otherwise not even hear of or care about.
Loved Siskel and Ebert, but after that I didn't care who hosted it. Still watched it and got my sneak peeks and reminders of what's opening that weekend.
So now what???? Internet of course, but it was nice to just chill in front the tv and let them do the work for you.
Sadly, there doesn't appear to be anything even close to the format of At the Movies anywhere on the horizon. There are a couple of programs on REELZ that might be worth a look, and who knows, maybe one of them will grow to fill the void. At least Leonard Maltin is there.

\

Kids have no respect. Devil said you were born in the late 90's.

Respect for who?

He Predators review is so asine is retarded. He doesnt even mention the characters, or the story, all he does is rant about how the planet doesnt make any sense, how the gravity could destroy the whole thing due to it's pull...because of some bull____.

Seriously....i'm fine if he didnt like it...but for that? What the ef?

He gave Kick-Ass a one star....which was just...ugh.

Book of Eli gets 3....as does Remember Me.....

Pfft.

Phillips and Scott are awful - pompous, smarmy, and I can't stand watching or listening to either one.

The beauty of At The Movies was that Siskel and Ebert truly didn't like each other. That was made obvious on the show, and they didn't hold back in their assessments of the films or each other's opinions of the films. It also helped that they were very different in their likes and dislikes, allowing you to get two sides, rather than two identical guys slapping each other on the back (like Scott and Phillips). There's a real opportunity for a show like ATM again, but it requires getting that chemistry right.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/OkwVz_jK3gA&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/OkwVz_jK3gA&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

unfortunately once disney took over and tried to contol what was being said about it's films, this shows days we numbered. I have great respect for what Siskel and Ebert we able to do over the years, but without them, it was only a matter of time.

Back