The effect of eBay's upcoming changes on prices?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek2783

Freaked Out
Reaction score
So, eBay is eliminating listing fees altogether in favor of final value fees. This means listing an item is initially free.

Do you think we'll see a flooding if the market with items, and if so, do you think it will lower prices? Or will it result in higher BIN listings, since the seller has no upfront cost, similar to Amazon?

Sellers should figure out pretty quickly (if they haven't already) that this is a gimmick, and they'll just end up owing more money to eBay. As such, I don't see this changing much of anything. It might end up deterring more sellers, as I suspect this change will correspond with sellers owing more than they currently would for selling a given item. The listing fees are negligible as it is. Final value fees and Paypal fees are really the only thing that matter to me when I sell.

Yes, you will probably see a rise in BINs with ridiculous prices no one will ever pay, but I'm not sure that that will affect the market broadly.

EBay needs competition.

Ebay has created a monopoly and they own the bank (Paypal)... to bad they don't have any competition to help regulate the FEES.

Not going to affect me in any form. I refuse to sell on that turd of a website ever again. I only resort to buying there when I can't find stuff anywhere else.

Until some other auction site has traffic that rivals, Ebay can pretty much do whatever it wants. They screw the sellers for all they can and cater to the buyers.

:lecture Got that right. Problem now is that it'll take a sizable $$ amount to fund a website to compete with Ebay.

don't think we will see one. anyway l love buying from ebay. l buy lots of stuff and find great deals on pretty much what ever l am looking for, but l will NEVER sell anything on there.

i would rather pay a higher fee for something i sold than pay listing fees on something that doesn't sell.

EBay clearly thinks that others will agree with you. But the high fee is already too high, and the listing fees are a pittance. . .it really doesn't modify the cost-benefit calculation to me in any notable way. For me, the time and effort of listing an item are much more costly than the $1 or whatever it monetarily costs to list currently. But when you owe $30-40 or whatever as a final value fee, then I start questioning whether it is worth my while to sell there. Now, that will be $35-45 instead I guess.

I enjoy buying and selling on ebay dspite the issues that I have with the website. I believe the sellers will likely try to drive the prices of their items up with higher BINs and starting bids. Whether they are successful or not rests in the buyers' weakness or strength when the decide whether they will pay the prices.

And based on what I have seen, I am expecting the buyers to largely cave and allow the sellers to jack the prices up.

And I am wonder if that it is not the driving force behind ebay's decision. It seems to me that whether we hate it or not...it seems to be a profit-escalating idea.

Hating them is the wrong course of action. The website is a fantastic resource. The game is all about what we will pay vs how much they will try to extract from us. And the buyers are usually the losers in that contest becase SOMEONE will have such a sense of urgency in having an item that they will pay higher prices to get them.

When I buy on ebay, I set a value for an item and I do not go above it. My experience has been that patience is almost always rewarded with eventually getting an item that I want for a price that I am not ashamed to have paid.

An example of this is a Sideshow Exclusive EIII Obi-Wan Kenobi that I wanted. I had to cancel my orders for them. And I have been waiting to open one until I got two, One in pristine condition and the other in at least excellent condition, for under 80.00 each shipped. It took a long time. But I got one sealed for 80.00 shipped and I just got one that claims to be sealed for 69.00 shipped (I have not seen that one yet).

sellers will just inflate the shipping charges

Except that I think eBay is already planning to charge fees for shipping as well. Not sure if they've already implemented this, but pretty sure I recall reading it in one of their newsletters.

Ebay has created a monopoly and they own the bank (Paypal)... to bad they don't have any competition to help regulate the FEES.

They have some competition here in Canada, I use Kijiji fairly often now, no listing fees and I just list for pickup in my area. I've sold a bit that way now and it hasn't cost a cent. Some people are using it to sell their homes minus the fees there as well.

ebay has competition here in the states as well. But the other auction sites simply can't wipe the sweat from the armpits of ebay.

Love them or hate them, it is undeniable that they are the way to go for exposure to your sales.

Back