the ebay/paypal buyer screw!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tylerd

Super Freak
Reaction score
seems likes there's no lines in who gets screwed on ebay. ever wonder what happens if a seller sends you the wrong item? in my case, the seller was very nice. he apologized over and over again, admitting he was at fault for the mistake. come to find, he didn't even have the item in his inventory that he was selling. he offered an immediate full refund upon returning the item. BUT.... he wants me to return ship the item at MY expense! :confused::confused::confused:

and to top it all off, i file a paypal dispute, then escalate it to a claim and this morning i get an email from paypal. it seems their policy requires return shipping to be provided by the BUYER! that's right, the buyer who received the wrong item has to pay to return the item. paypal's explanation was they don't think it's fair for the seller to take a double hit on shipping. BUT IT WAS THE SELLER'S MISTAKE!

the whole ebay and paypal experience seems to go against you no matter what side you're on! :banghead :banghead :banghead so looks like i'll get a full refund...minus $20!

Paypal is weird like that, no matter what, their "Best" resolution is to make the buyer send the item back at their own expense. Then they reward you a full refund thinking it makes things all better some how. :confused:

Send it the cheapest way possible, get delivery confirmation and call it good. It sucks, but thems the breaks I guess.

EDIT to be clear, I meant this if you are the buyer having to send back an item at your own expense... not if you are the seller sending out items.

Last edited:
Send it the cheapest way possible, get delivery confirmation and call it good. It sucks, but thems the breaks I guess.

doesn't always work though... i'm going through this process myself and i'm gonna get bent. the funny thing is that it was sent to the person's office and signed by someone else. then waits almost a full month before going straight to paypal to demand a refund because he claims it was repainted. didn't even contact me to work a solution out.

I was refering to seding the item back to the seller... not if you are the seller initially sending an item.

And I think are in the worst case scenario as a seller can be in. If you get the item sent back I can guarantee it will be messed up (to prove his point, and screw you over) which means you can't make your money back, and if you have to give him a partial refund you're screwed that way as well.

what PP doesn't think about is that the PP fees go away(I think) that the seller paid so the seller should have to pay shipping the second time....especially in the case where it's their fault. PP needs to take it casey-by-case. I agree with Galactiboy, send it back as cheap and securely as you can and chalk it up to dealing with the devil....err, i mean PP/ebay.

The biggest winners in the whole collectibles buy and sell thing?

UPS and FedEX... by a mile.

OK, things are getting weird. since elevating my dispute to claim, the seller has contacted me to explain in great detail his reasoning behind not providing a shipping refund. then i get an e-mail from paypal with a special transaction credit. they issued me a credit on my account to cover return shipping. :huh anyone ever seen that happen? i'm happy nonetheless and will be returning the item for refund. :banana

I'm curious about the guys reasoning for not.

didn't make much sense. his reasoning was 'perhaps you'll just keep the return shipping money' or 'i could just send him back a box with rocks in it'. i believe his intention was to refund my money, excluding the return shipping which according to paypal, he is not obligated to pay back. maybe paypal will change this policy, as a double shipping hit for a seller in the wrong should be paid by the seller, and not a shared cost between seller and buyer.

Yeah. I agree, especially considering he shipped the entirely wrong item.

I think had he shipped the right item and the box had a slight damage or something that only extremely discerning people would complain about, then I think the return shipping should be covered by the buyer, but in this case he should definately cover it.

OK, things are getting weird. since elevating my dispute to claim, the seller has contacted me to explain in great detail his reasoning behind not providing a shipping refund. then i get an e-mail from paypal with a special transaction credit. they issued me a credit on my account to cover return shipping. :huh anyone ever seen that happen? i'm happy nonetheless and will be returning the item for refund. :banana

you wanna talk about weird?

i bought a ssw moria orc swordsman on ebay for 750 shipped that was advertised as being mint in a mint box. when i open the statue, i find that the sword has been broken in half and glued back together, at one point the sword had been glued on to the hand, there were paint rubs all over from the carton not being taped, the bads from the bottom of the base were peeled off, and the art box had been torn to hell then retaped.
shortly after filing my claim with paypal, i get an email from ebay apologizing for the problems with the transaction and a code for a 'customer courtesy coupon' for $750 off any purchase. i kid you not, i won my claim and got what amounted to a $750 gift card from ebay.

now that's some weird stuff

i get an email from ebay apologizing for the problems with the transaction and a code for a 'customer courtesy coupon' for $750 off any purchase. i kid you not, i won my claim and got what amounted to a $750 gift card from ebay.

now that's some weird stuff

Hope thats legit. Crazy seller could be sending you a bad e-mail.

Hope thats legit. Crazy seller could be sending you a bad e-mail.

i had similar thoughts so i called ebay and they confirmed it was real. to tell you the truth, i couldn't believe it... almost felt wrong spending it :lol

well if Sideshow send me the wrong item or the thing has some defects..I have to pay the shipping for the return also..even if its their fault....you know cause I'm in Canada....So ebay aint the only ones who use this practice.

well if Sideshow send me the wrong item or the thing has some defects..I have to pay the shipping for the return also..even if its their fault....you know cause I'm in Canada....So ebay aint the only ones who use this practice.

OK now that takes the cake as lame.

Back