The DiD accessory thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally, Aragorn. There isn't as much to compare as I'd hoped, as the DiD version does not include his bow, quiver or arrows. But it does include one accessory that was sorely lacking from Sideshow's release, so that's something.

The usual sword comparison, with Sideshow's on top, the Toybiz soft version in the middle and DiD's version at the bottom. And that's probably how I'd rank them, too. Similar to Gandalf, the DiD version is clearly smaller than the other two, and lacking in some important details. Both the SSC and Toybiz versions have detailed scabbards that include the small knife in the side. On the Sideshow version, that small knife is removable, whereas the Toybiz version is merely sculpted on. But that's still much better than DiD, which completely omitted the knife entirely. No contest, stick with Sideshow's version.

DSC00019.jpg

Which brings us to that all-important extra accessory. It's the dagger that Aragorn received later on in the first movie; I'm thinking at Lothlorien but my memory's a bit fuzzy on the specifics. It actually has a nicely-sculpted hilt with decent colours and paint applications, and comes with a pleather scabbard to attach it to his belt. I'm sure Sideshow could have produced an even nicer version had they wanted to, but the simple fact is that this weapon is unique to the DiD release.

DSC00020.jpg

So is it worth picking up the DiD Aragorn just for the dagger? Knowing what I know now, I'd have to say no. Unless, of course, you manage to snag him for $10 or less. Otherwise, save your money.

Here's a summary:

Worth buying: Legolas, Gimli, Gandalf (if you're contemplating making a Gandalf the White custom)
Dealer's choice: Aragorn
Skip entirely: Sam (and presumably Frodo as well)

Looks like Legolas and Gimli were the only ones eh? Too bad.

Pretty much, although I'm glad I got Gandalf as he'll be useful when the time comes to make the custom White version. I've heard that Toybiz produced a rotocast version of Gandalf the White, so I'm curious if that head sculpt would be any better. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find that figure on eBay right now.

how long did it take the place you got it in the UK to get it to you.

It took about two weeks, give or take. I actually had to send the guy a reminder email and he promptly replied with a tracking number. Two weeks later, I had my figures.

I've still got that extra Legolas if anyone's interested. Make me an offer. :naughty

I was able to snag one of his Anakin's and Legolas a while back. I haven't had any luck finding his Aragorn though.

Darren still has Legolas heads available, if anyone's interested. Email him directly and he'll get back to you in no time. One thing to note is that you'll have to butcher up your Sideshow Legolas head to use Darren's, as you need the removable section of hair. I think I'll pick up an extra SSC Legolas as I'd like to keep an unsullied Sideshow head for comparison purposes.

As for his Aragorn, apparently it was just a repaint, not a resculpt. And since he's currently not taking any orders for custom paint jobs, you may have to wait a bit before he's able to take commissions again. That being said, the man does amazing work, so it might be worth the wait.

While working on my Gimli custom, I began to wonder if it would be worth picking up the rest of the DiD (Dragon in Dreams) LOTR 1:6 figures in order to swap out some of the accessories with the SSC figures. I was impressed with their use of metal and wood for Gimli's weapons, so I was curious if the other figures would also include weapons or accessories that were of better quality than the ones that Sideshow gave us.

I recently received DiD's Legolas and decided to start this thread for others who might also be interested in doing the same. I currently have Aragorn, Gandalf and Samwise on the way from the UK, so I'll update this thread with those comparisons once they arrive. But for now, let's take a look at Legolas.

I'll start with the swords. From left to right we have the Sideshow, Toybiz "soft" and DiD versions. It's pretty obvious that the SSC ones are the ones to get, despite the fact that the DiD ones use real metal. The detail work is considerably sharper on the Sideshow version, and the DiD version is clearly missing the all-important etching on the blade. The Toybiz version doesn't even merit mention.

DSC000062.jpg

Next up is an accessory that was sorely missing from Sideshow's release, the bow he received from Galdriel. On top is the Toybiz "soft" version with the DiD version underneath. The detail work actually seems a wee bit sharper on the Toybiz version, but the bow is also much thicker and bulkier than the DiD. Dealer's choice, but I'd probably go with the DiD version if I had to choose.

DSC000072.jpg

Another weapon/accessory that was absent from Sideshow's release was the Rohan sword that Legolas used at Helm's Deep (IIRC). On the left is the Toybiz version and on the right is DiD's. Again, the detail work on the hilt seems just a tad better with the Toybiz one, but that's about the only positive. The DiD one is made of real metal and fits incredibly snuggly in the metal sheath. No contest, the DiD one is the one to get.

DSC000082.jpg

A comparison of the various quivers. Sideshow's on the left, followed by Toybiz, and DiD's on the right. The Sideshow quiver is the one he had before the Fellowship arrived at Lothlorien, whereas the other two represent the one he received with his new bow. It should be noted that the DiD version is made of reinforced pleather with leather straps, and metal at the opening and base of the quiver. The Toybiz one is more correct in terms of the colour of the design, but that's about the only positive thing I can say about it.

DSC000092.jpg

This next accessory was also absent from the Sideshow release. It's the leather pauldrons that Legolas wore at Helm's Deep (again, if memory serves). The Toybiz versions are made of flexible plastic/rubber and are merely stitched onto the fabric custom. The DiD versions, however, need to be strapped on. Note that one DiD pauldron is actually linked to the quiver via leather strap.

DSC000102.jpg

So, final verdict. Is it worth buying the DiD Legolas? I'd have to say yes. The pauldrons and Rohan sword really complete his TTT or ROTK look, and the bow and quiver are the ones he used from Lothlorien onwards. You can easily switch out the DiD swords for Sideshow's, in order to have the best of both worlds. Here are a couple of shots of Legolas with the DiD Rohan sword and pauldrons.

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

I'll have the comparison shots for Aragorn, Gandalf and Sam soon. Also note that I ended up getting an extra DiD Legolas via lot auction, so if anyone is interested in getting one, PM me.

Hmmm... you've got me thinking now, i've got both figures but i think i'm going to put the TB Legolas pauldrons on the DID harness.:idea

Hmmm... you've got me thinking now, i've got both figures but i think i'm going to put the TB Legolas pauldrons on the DID harness.:idea

I tried that but didn't like the look. The shiny plastic/vinyl of the TB pauldrons clashes with the figure's cloth outfit. I found the DiD pauldrons looked MUCH better, and they're much more flexible, too.

Back