The Detolf Diorama Project - This is mine, post yours as well Freaks. Thanks 4 lookin

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy molly! Finally got around to looking at the pics on my pc and DAMN! this is awesome! *__* Really lovely set-up! When you got people coming over, how long are they staring at your collection?! I'd probably just stop in front of it and spend like half an hour. This is seriously such a great display!

Here are the things I was referencing in my previous post. Hope this stuff helps anyone thinking of doing Dio's

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 167
  • FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 170
  • FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 170
  • FullSizeRender_3.jpg
    FullSizeRender_3.jpg
    451.4 KB · Views: 171
Holy molly! Finally got around to looking at the pics on my pc and DAMN! this is awesome! *__* Really lovely set-up! When you got people coming over, how long are they staring at your collection?! I'd probably just stop in front of it and spend like half an hour. This is seriously such a great display!

Wow dude that is soooo fkn AWESOME of you to say. I feel like ten ft tall lol. And how long ppl stare depends HA! Dudes like us that are at least into semi dork mode like enjoy the movies, have read the occasional star wars book, etc. will usually just stare for about 5 to 10 mins or while we are talking they will keep drifting back to it lol. Normal folks like your typical girl will just kind of give it a solid 30 second once over lol. I can tell who likes them as they will typically kneel to see the bottom ones better HA.

But you rule and thank you so much for that rad compliment.

Totally not that hard to do :) I already had a grow tent set up as a spray booth and vented with growing fans lol. I got a little box in there as well with a fan hooked up to such all the air "and paint" through the box and out the tent so I can do dust free and mask free painting. Did all that when I was customizing Transformers and it came in handy with all of these but is totally overkill for your average dude....... or in your case Super HOTTTTT Girl!!! lol.

But ya, just get Home Depot water heater styrofoam, it is pink and about $5. It is totally better then ANY of the foam at Hobby Lobby or like stores and costs about 1/3 as much. Paints are important, but default to Tamiya TS spray paints and or brush paints "they are cheap and work super good on foam, no bubbling or cracking". They also have this stone paint from Hobby Lobby - Krylon Stone Paint "Granite" - that works great too, but needs to be lightly sprayed in coats unlike the tamiya that you can just spray a ton on, but the stone stuff has a great effect and is kind of a one stop solution if you want to do it that way. You can also just use tamiya as a primer and then spray the *** out of the stone stuff lol. Airbrush or dry brush or just brush paint effects like cracks etc. Also get a can of Smoke colored spray paint "transparent black" works awesome and just completes most dioramas in that respect. Hope all that helps. I just like to share as there was a lot of failures along the way and those were the harder lessons I learned lol.
Ok thanks for the info. I'll look into those paints. I have the Tamiya Acrylics. Would those work?

Sent from my XT1225 using Tapatalk

Really nice work! I love the dio where Cap has the guy pushed up against the glass, LOL. I'm sure that's fun from the other side too. Makes me want to get some baddies just for my Cap to beat up. :)

Ok thanks for the info. I'll look into those paints. I have the Tamiya Acrylics. Would those work?

Sent from my XT1225 using Tapatalk

The acrylics were the ones I am talking about. They are great and work on everything. But painting a full dio by brush would lag lol.

"Really nice work! I love the dio where Cap has the guy pushed up against the glass, LOL. I'm sure that's fun from the other side too. Makes me want to get some baddies just for my Cap to beat up. "

Totally, I buy cheapie bodies and dragon military gear for cheap and just set figures as punching bagfs for cap n bucky lol.

That is an amazing setup. You're making me rethink how I want to display mine.

Let me know if I can lend a hand in any way. Would love to save some people some of that failures I encountered along the way lol. And thank you so much.

Looks great, hope you got good ventilation though, those spray paints could seriously knock you out.

Oh yea. 300 cfm out and about 350 filtered in so I am post I've pressure so the paint get sucked out through the box and the rest get evacuated out the tent. But good point.

This is awesome, my kind of style with the diorama effect, brings the whole collection to life.... Fantastic collection.

Ohhhhh I am so glad u guys like them. I am gearing up to take this **** to a new level right now. Will post up once I create something.

Back