The DC sixth scale license...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id love it, but time will tell. If its done in another medium than a comic book, they can *try* and do it. I want an awesome Hot toys Superman figure but who knows

I don't think SSCs would do any additional 1/6th lines. It is clear that their business model is more slanted toward statues, bust and 1:1 scale items. I think the only reason why they have any 1/6th scale products at all is because they sub licensed SW & GI Joe from Hasbro. I think there are enough SWs fans to keep the line going, although there seems to be more and more fans cherry picking the line, I worry about the Joe longevity. I think those fans are going to eventually get LOTR'ed.

I'd like to see HTs do it but they're having enough trouble getting out their movie based items as it is. No Avatar yet. No Keaton Bats, no Reeves Supes and no Sucker Punch.

Who? :dunno
:nana:

I read somewhere that the new DC Entertainment was currently looking at all licenses and considering farming some out. I'm not sure though that DC Direct would lose anything since that company itself is going through restructuring and have locked up releases already bleeding into 2012 in informal announcements.
Mikey, will DC Entertainment license out their 1:4 scale statues and 1:2 scale busts to Sideshow hopefully? That will be many collectors' dreams come true :pray:

Well, let me tell you what I know.

According to the initial release from DC Entertainment we learned this:

DC Entertainment’s “bi-coastal realignment strategy”: Despite the silly corporate-speak, this aspect of the DC announcements is, at least on the surface, the simplest to break down. The company’s operations related to business/administration, as well as multimedia and digital content, will relocate to “a Warner Bros.-managed property” in Burbank, Calif., while the publishing division will remain in New York City. The move is expected to be complete by the end of next year.

From there, however, the details get a little murky. Although the initial press release specifically mentions “consumer products” will be part of the move, neither DC Entertainment President Diane Nelson nor DC Comics Co-Publishers Dan DiDio and Jim Lee would say whether that was a reference to DC Direct, DC Comics’ collectibles division.

“I’m not sure what that would be referring to, exactly,” Nelson told Comic Book Resources, “but Warner Bros. obviously has a meaningful consumer products division and the part of DC that works closely with Warner Bros.’ consumer products are likely to be in the Los Angeles office, but you may be referring to DC Direct and you may be referring to other licensing initiatives and unfortunately right now I can’t get in to the specifics of that. I do think it would be fair to say that we’re looking for every opportunity to work more closely with the Warner Bros. businesses, consumer products is just one, and we are going to work more closely with them.”

Right after this announcement Bowen started teasing about DC characters coming which would be the first sign of outsourcing since the announcement. Solicitations through February seemed to be lighter than usual people figured they were at an end especially after Georg Brewer was bumped. The speculations continue but WB/DC has been really tight lipped about DC Direct as a whole. Although when their slew of GL announcments were for the middle and later part of this year instead of almost a year in advance like they have been people continue to think it's a slow process of outsourcing and once the figures, statues, busts, replicas are licensed out and completed tha tthey'll announce DC Direct's shutdown.

Sideshow has been actively chasing the DC license for a long time now, I've heard of it from SSC reps since 2005. They seem to be dodging the question a bit so there is a fantastic chance that they'd get the 1:4 scale line especially since DCD only did one a year and even the 1:2 busts since it's been a while since that was announced but I think that 1:6 would NOT go to SSC. I don't think they want it and I think that DC would either continue to do it in-house (if DC Direct survives) or offer it up to either HT or Matty who seems to be really trying for that niche.

Right after this announcement Bowen started teasing about DC characters coming which would be the first sign of outsourcing since the announcement. Solicitations through February seemed to be lighter than usual people figured they were at an end especially after Georg Brewer was bumped. The speculations continue but WB/DC has been really tight lipped about DC Direct as a whole. Although when their slew of GL announcments were for the middle and later part of this year instead of almost a year in advance like they have been people continue to think it's a slow process of outsourcing and once the figures, statues, busts, replicas are licensed out and completed tha tthey'll announce DC Direct's shutdown.

Sideshow has been actively chasing the DC license for a long time now, I've heard of it from SSC reps since 2005. They seem to be dodging the question a bit so there is a fantastic chance that they'd get the 1:4 scale line especially since DCD only did one a year and even the 1:2 busts since it's been a while since that was announced but I think that 1:6 would NOT go to SSC. I don't think they want it and I think that DC would either continue to do it in-house (if DC Direct survives) or offer it up to either HT or Matty who seems to be really trying for that niche.

Very good insights as always, Mikey. I hope Sideshow will pick up the 1/4 scale PF license and 1/2 bust license from DCE. For sure there will be many Sideshow fans supporting those lines. I would like to see Sideshow taking on the comic versions of the DC characters. :pray:

I can see DC Direct is slowing down. They don't have many new items to show at NYCC except a few Green Lantern movie stuff.

DCD has essentially ended the 13" line though with no new announcements and the last figure already shipped. Perhaps Matty is testing the waters, but I'd prefer it to go to a high end collectible company such as SSC or HT.

And judging from this thread - no one reads my year-end summaries...:pfft:

You have year-end summaries? :dunno

DCD has not announced any new 13" figures but have yet to confirm the line's end. Remember back with Brewer was still the head of DC Direct, he kept teasing that a new version of the line would be released. People speculated it'd be a true 12" line. Others thought by the Alex Ross Superman and Batman offerings it'd be an artist specfic line. I still say the good money rests with DCD trying to reinvent the line at least one more time before farming it out but I think if they do it still won't go to SSC. PFs and busts though if they are going anywhere is a lock to SSC.

I doubt very much that Sideshow would do sixth scale DC figures as well, not because of needing a new body or any other trivialities, but simply because even Sideshow knows that it's no longer their real strength. While it would be possible from a mechanics standpoint, and I raised the point to generate some discussion (which I have to admit has been very interesting), I suspect any Sideshow interest in DC would be around the PF's and replicas. Let's face it - that's Sideshow's current direction, and would be the obvious choice.

I'm really more interested in what may come of the smaller figure license. I know lots of folks here aren't interested in those, but if you look at how much Mattel has backed off with the DC license the last couple years (outside of collector lines), it seems likely that they're letting it go. It will be interesting to see what happens...

I am pleased with Mattel's 12 inch versions. Just needs slight modifications. the price point is unbeatable right now and my wallet will not be able to afford HT's rising prices soon.

Mattel's superman looks great and just needs a better body underneath. Did it fail to capture Reeve's likeness? A little, but not bad for a superman face. The suit is great and just needs to change the boot design; maybe rubber. Look at the Zod figure, if not for those boots, that figure is a perfect figure for it's price. A better paint job would really make that figure perfect.

I've posted somewhere before that we have great local talent here. Let's get Andy B,. Erick S., Trevor, Adam and Bobby C hired. These guys are great at capturing likenesses. The only injustice done is the paint application on their sculpts.

I've looked at Ht's Spiderman and Captain Action figure's coming Spider suit and guess what? For 30.00, i am going for Captain ACtion. And have you guys seen the Captain America suit? That is so classic Kirby it gives me chills of anticipation. I just hope that Captain Action gets the DC license for their classic look.

140.00 for a HT spiderman without a parker head? Too much. If it weren't for those import fees maybe it would have cost us less than a 100.00, then I would buy it for HT's quality.

I'm really more interested in what may come of the smaller figure license. I know lots of folks here aren't interested in those, but if you look at how much Mattel has backed off with the DC license the last couple years (outside of collector lines), it seems likely that they're letting it go. It will be interesting to see what happens...

My guess is that if Mattel were to let it go, which I really think they wouldn't, it'd go to another high-profile company. I wonder if Hasbro would take it and if DC would do it considering their link with Marvel...I can't think of another company that could do it. Could you imagine an NECA figure line?

I don't think Mattel's going to let the DC 6" line go and DC wouldn't dare let Hasbro have it as long as they are producing Marvel product. The days of the Mego dual super hero licenses is over...especially with WB & Disney at the helm.

Mattel is just choosing to spend resources in the 6" line and not have the 3 3/4" compete with it as a collector line. That's the opposite of what Hasbro is doing. All their collector line resources are aimed at the 3 3/4" scale...but we'll see when they relaunch Marvel Legends

...I don't have much faith that the new ML line is gonna be all that great.

I doubt very much that Sideshow would do sixth scale DC figures as well, not because of needing a new body or any other trivialities, but simply because even Sideshow knows that it's no longer their real strength. While it would be possible from a mechanics standpoint, and I raised the point to generate some discussion (which I have to admit has been very interesting), I suspect any Sideshow interest in DC would be around the PF's and replicas. Let's face it - that's Sideshow's current direction, and would be the obvious choice.

I agree with MC. I just hope Sideshow is allowed to make DC comic characters, not just limited to movie versions if Sideshow gets the DC license. :pray:

Mattel has already pretty much let the line go - have you walked down the action figure aisle in the last six months? The new GL product is the first DC product of any substance in a very long time. While collectors might be enjoying DCUC, it's not a mass market line, and I doubt that WB is really that amused by what little Mattel has done with their stuff. While there have been several good DC cartoons on the last couple years, including Batman Brave and the Bold and Young Justice, the product has been almost non-existent.

And let's not forget that this isn't Mattel's decision - it's WB's. Mattel can decide they DON'T want the license anymore, which they seem to have done with their latest releases, but they can't decide the WANT the license and just keep it. WB is going to be the ones to decide whether they get to keep it or now.

And another point to consider - the Hobbit. I wouldn't be surprised if WB wants the same company handling the DC line and the upcoming Hobbit line, but whether that helps Mattel (theoretically a big company could do the line justice) or hurts them (again, they've pretty much failed with the DC property so far, whereas WB would have greater pull with a smaller company) remains to be seen.

Mattel has already pretty much let the line go - have you walked down the action figure aisle in the last six months? The new GL product is the first DC product of any substance in a very long time. While collectors might be enjoying DCUC, it's not a mass market line, and I doubt that WB is really that amused by what little Mattel has done with their stuff. While there have been several good DC cartoons on the last couple years, including Batman Brave and the Bold and Young Justice, the product has been almost non-existent.

And let's not forget that this isn't Mattel's decision - it's WB's. Mattel can decide they DON'T want the license anymore, which they seem to have done with their latest releases, but they can't decide the WANT the license and just keep it. WB is going to be the ones to decide whether they get to keep it or now.

And another point to consider - the Hobbit. I wouldn't be surprised if WB wants the same company handling the DC line and the upcoming Hobbit line, but whether that helps Mattel (theoretically a big company could do the line justice) or hurts them (again, they've pretty much failed with the DC property so far, whereas WB would have greater pull with a smaller company) remains to be seen.

Hey MC, will it be possible that DC Direct will continue making action figures while licensing out the statue areas to another companies? With what you are saying, seems like Mattel won't be doing action figures for DC and WB may need to go back to DC Direct?

I see a LOT of Brave and bold stuff from mattel when I walk the aisles of my local walmart. Too much stuff. DCUC stuff is always picked clean in my area. Mego styles at Toys R Us are always just the superman and batman. I haven't seen any GL movie stuff but they may be waiting to a closer movie release date, which was just released a month ago. Is it picked clean because of high demand or not ordered by stores because of low demand? I don't know.
Young justice has barely just finished a season, so Mattel is just getting their figures out.

WB hasn't done anything to push their DC characters to audiences and I think mattel has been trying to cover what is out there. IN fact, I think Mattel is desperate to find more things to cover and produce with their DC license. Mego figures? Superman 12 inch figures? I think that's why Mattel got the DC license. Mattel has a way of making figures out of characters that their owners have failed to put out in the public eye. Mattel panders to the collector's market to get some new toy lines selling.

Of course, it may be wishful thinking in my part, because I don't want mattel to lose the contract and I lose the DCUC line which I have loved so far.

I don't think Mattel has given up on DC at all...have you taken a second to read the long list of general and exclusive products they have scheduled for GL?!?! It's rival to Iron Man II only!

The Brave & Bold stuff is an unfair comparison. When the cartoon was going strong, they had plenty of product out there at all major retailers. It was only when WBs/ Cartoon Network started tossing around the idea of canceling the show that Mattel seemed to start to produce reissues and delay new characters for release. But there still is a ton of product on the shelves in my neck of the woods.

And again, DCUCs can't really be a gauge of Mattel's interest in the aisles either. This line has primarily been for adults and really only widely available through online retailers once Mattel started selling block cases. To me, DCUCs
And like Amused said, WBs has never seemed to really support the DC property. Of course it will be their decision on whether to allow Mattel to continue with the license but these deals don't seem to be governed by what you can produce like DCUCs, DCIHs or BMBB. It seems to be determined by what a company can produce as it pertains to movie product. How much crap can a company produce to promote the movie. Can you generate enough buzz by producing stuff that feeds other merchandising.

That's why as soon as Hasbro got the Marvel license they dropped MLs. It just didn't fit their capabilities when it came to mass production. Although it was THE most popular action figure line at the time, their strengths lied in producing 3 3/4" figures. So that's what they did...for everything. Movie product & collector aimed lines.

Back