The couponing thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoboDad

Super Freak
Reaction score
OK, so there are many of us who are trying to find ways to tighten our belts and save money in these tough times. One of the techniques for saving money, LOTS of money, is becoming "all the rage" around the US - couponing. Clipping coupons out of the ad inserts in the newspaper, and printing even more directly from manufacturer web sites, and then combining those coupons with advertised sales.

My wife went to a class (yes, they have CLASSES for this stuff :lol), and came home totally energized to try it out. Well, over the years we've tried various couponing techniques before, but never really saw that much of a savings on our grocery bill. However, it seems apparent to me that retailers and manufacturers are more motivated than they have ever been before, and they are actually working together to make some incredible deals available to consumers.

Now, before anyone says anything, let me just say that, because of our previous experiences, I was as skeptical as I could possibly be going in. But now that I've seen our grocery bill for the past two weeks, I am sold on the idea.

It does take some work, and there is a small amount of "lead time" where you don't get as many great results as you would like, but once things get rolling... wow.

We did our shopping on Monday and Tuesday of this week (you do have to shop at multiple stores to get the maximum deals), and brought home $275 worth of groceries, and paid a total of $90 for it. And I'm not talking about stupid things we would never eat or use, I am talking about the same products we always have bought, just a LOT cheaper.

Anyone else out there doing this yet?

Not yet, but you did interest me with the numbers you posted. Got any links where I can get some coupons or information. I usually check this site for daily deals. Its a mixed bag on electronics and clothes, but sometimes they have groceries, etc. This site is a lifesaver around Black Friday.
www.slickdeals.net

We did our shopping on Monday and Tuesday of this week (you do have to shop at multiple stores to get the maximum deals), and brought home $275 worth of groceries, and paid a total of $90 for it. And I'm not talking about stupid things we would never eat or use, I am talking about the same products we always have bought, just a LOT cheaper.

OK, spill the beans. What'd you buy and how'd you do it? Just with coupons or looking at advertised prices?

This isn't so silly at all. There was a special on 20/20 about families that do this and save a ton of money. However, I don't have a family and am far to lazy to do this just for myself. However, this is an awesome thread! :rock

OK, so there are many of us who are trying to find ways to tighten our belts and save money in these tough times. One of the techniques for saving money, LOTS of money, is becoming "all the rage" around the US - couponing. Clipping coupons out of the ad inserts in the newspaper, and printing even more directly from manufacturer web sites, and then combining those coupons with advertised sales.

My wife went to a class (yes, they have CLASSES for this stuff :lol), and came home totally energized to try it out. Well, over the years we've tried various couponing techniques before, but never really saw that much of a savings on our grocery bill. However, it seems apparent to me that retailers and manufacturers are more motivated than they have ever been before, and they are actually working together to make some incredible deals available to consumers.

Now, before anyone says anything, let me just say that, because of our previous experiences, I was as skeptical as I could possibly be going in. But now that I've seen our grocery bill for the past two weeks, I am sold on the idea.

It does take some work, and there is a small amount of "lead time" where you don't get as many great results as you would like, but once things get rolling... wow.

Anyone else out there doing this yet?
I am amazed that people are just doing stuff like this now. My parents used coupons all the time when I was a kid. I remember stores used to do double and triple coupon days. I can't tell you how many grocery items they have gotten for free because of coupons combined with sales. I can't buy anything without making sure I am getting the best price, because I learned from watching them all the time. It's kind of sad that people actually have to take classes for this sort of thing.

It's a combination of coupons and advertised sales and promotions. Here is a great example. We really like Smart Ones single serving frozen entrees. They make a great quick lunch, and they are healthy and taste great. Normally, they retail for around $2.50. We found a coupon that gave $4 off if you bought ten, and then found a store that had a sale on them (they were on sale for $1.86 each), plus they were running a promotion where you got a coupon for $7 off your next purchase by purchasing 10 of the entrees. By purchasing 20 of the entrees, using two of the coupons, and the sale price and promotion, our net cost ended up being about 75 cents per entree.

And that is just one example. And we're still really new at it. Many of the seasoned couponers are saving over 75% off their average bill.

You can do a google search for couponing and find thousands of sites on the subject, but the one my wife says is the best is athriftymom.com. I haven't been there myself, but I guess they have all kinds of tips, techniques, and ideas on how to make the most of the system. They also have links to several sites where coupons can be printed.

I am amazed that people are just doing stuff like this now. My parents used coupons all the time when I was a kid. I remember stores used to do double and triple coupon days. I can't tell you how many grocery items they have gotten for free because of coupons combined with sales. I can't buy anything without making sure I am getting the best price, because I learned from watching them all the time. It's kind of sad that people actually have to take classes for this sort of thing.

The class that my wife took is really only oriented to two goals. First, making people aware of the fact that it does work, since most people don't have personal exposure to actually doing it, and second to provide ideas on how to make the most of it without getting overwhelmed by it. For example, they show how to set up a binder to keep all of the coupons organized, and how to spot possible combinations of sales and coupon that might not obviously go together.

The people who run these classes also have worked with local newspapers to create "couponer specials", where you can subscribe to the paper for a lower rate, but still get as many as 6 copies of the Sunday paper (where all of the coupon inserts com from). This gives you a lot more coupons to work with. Some can be "stacked" with other coupons, such as retailer coupons to double or triple the value of any manufacturer coupon.

So, while I agree that the basic concept shouldn't be foreign to anyone, the way it has been taken to the next level is pretty amazing, and is far beyond anything I've ever seen before.

My mother's been doing this for years. But if you work 9-5, and have traffic and a commute and kids, when do you find the time? I'm a single guy, with a 9-5, but with a 3 hour commute daily...I get up at 6:30 and run all day before I get home around 6-6:30. Getting in the car and running around stores is NOT something I want to do at that point. If there's shopping to be done, you stop at the store near you, get what you need, and go home. I know this works, but it's hard to do it.

That said, I'm always using coupons online and combining them...but that's because I can do that at work :)

I am a notorious cheap ass and not just on toys..I've been a hardcore coupon and clearance fan for several years. I admit, I buy stuff I would not have otherwise, but when its something consumable you only lose if you throw it away or it makes you eat more than normal right?

I've never had a set budget for food to begin with, so I can't really say "I saved this" vs what I otherwise would pay, but I know I've combined clearance items with multiple coupons all the time and often score stuff like a gallon of ice cream for $1 or bottles of shampoo and body wash for 50 cents and stuff.

I also buy the meat department specials where they knock off a $1 or $2 when its approaching sell by date, I just put it in the freezer anyway. The key here is don't buy the 2lb cut where it has a $2 off sticker. Instead by 2 of the 1 lb cuts that each have $2 off stickers so you save $4. :naughty. I did this the other day I was at Sunflower they had premarinated chicken thighs normal price $3 lb but they were nearing expiration so I bought like 6lbs worth of fresh already marinated chicken for like $6.

Last edited:
It's a combination of coupons and advertised sales and promotions. Here is a great example. We really like Smart Ones single serving frozen entrees. They make a great quick lunch, and they are healthy and taste great. Normally, they retail for around $2.50. We found a coupon that gave $4 off if you bought ten, and then found a store that had a sale on them (they were on sale for $1.86 each), plus they were running a promotion where you got a coupon for $7 off your next purchase by purchasing 10 of the entrees. By purchasing 20 of the entrees, using two of the coupons, and the sale price and promotion, our net cost ended up being about 75 cents per entree.

Holy crap. :google

You can do a google search for couponing and find thousands of sites on the subject, but the one my wife says is the best is athriftymom.com. I haven't been there myself, but I guess they have all kinds of tips, techniques, and ideas on how to make the most of the system. They also have links to several sites where coupons can be printed.

Let me know when athriftyrobodad.com goes live. :banana

my wife has been doing this for years. our local paper puts out a grocer's special page twice a week. and fortunately we have a boat load of stores in the area that are so competitive that they will price match all of them (or for the most part). and most stores print more coupons on your receipt that you just got for shopping there at a discount...:google
she and her friends get together & discuss strategies on the details & map out there plan of attack. but that is all her world and she does a good job. i definitely married up...:cool:..............:lol

she and her friends get together & discuss strategies on the details & map out there plan of attack. but that is all her world and she does a good job. i definitely married up...:cool:..............:lol

thats awesome...my wife freaking prefers to pay full price for crap. like she's embarrased to use coupons. :rolleyes:

The class that my wife took is really only oriented to two goals. First, making people aware of the fact that it does work, since most people don't have personal exposure to actually doing it, and second to provide ideas on how to make the most of it without getting overwhelmed by it. For example, they show how to set up a binder to keep all of the coupons organized, and how to spot possible combinations of sales and coupon that might not obviously go together.

The people who run these classes also have worked with local newspapers to create "couponer specials", where you can subscribe to the paper for a lower rate, but still get as many as 6 copies of the Sunday paper (where all of the coupon inserts com from). This gives you a lot more coupons to work with. Some can be "stacked" with other coupons, such as retailer coupons to double or triple the value of any manufacturer coupon.

So, while I agree that the basic concept shouldn't be foreign to anyone, the way it has been taken to the next level is pretty amazing, and is far beyond anything I've ever seen before.

My parents have been pros at this ____ for years, even without the internet. I still remember going to the grocery store with them and they had envelopes filled with coupons. My Dad used to frequent this one grocery store and the employees there called him the coupon guy.:lol:lol:lol

thats awesome...my wife freaking prefers to pay full price for crap. like she's embarrased to use coupons. :rolleyes:

Another thing that gets me is people who won't eat leftovers from a restaurant. They prefer to just waste food.

My wife doesn't just get together with friends, she actually goes up to strangers in the store, if she sees them carrying their coupon binder. :lol

But yeah, I definitely agree about the marrying up part. She just called, in fact, to tell me that she got a BOGO on london broil. :woo Time to get the barbeque out of winter storage!

My parents have been pros at this ____ for years, even without the internet. I still remember going to the grocery store with them and they had envelopes filled with coupons. My Dad used to frequent this one grocery store and the employees there called him the coupon guy.:lol:lol:lol

Envelopes, Pffft! ;)

Here is what my wife has with her right now:

Dual-100_b.JPG

You can't see it in that pic, but it even has a shoulder strap. She has it filled with clear baseball card pages, and all of the card slots are filled with coupons.

Envelopes, Pffft! ;)

Here is what my wife has with her right now:

Dual-100_b.JPG

You can't see it in that pic, but it even has a shoulder strap. She has it filled with clear baseball card pages, and all of the card slots are filled with coupons.

:lol:lol:lol

Back