The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Blu-ray wins format war

Nielson media research and Adams research both had the same. Their margin of error would have to be astronomical to be off by that much.

Not really. Nielson is notoriously inaccurate (their broadcast ratings for example are a joke in TV and radio circles) and neither company has access to proprietary numbers. The only people who know are the studios and retailers, both of which seem to think BD is well ahead of Y2 DVD adoption.

In any case, if we're going to go by analyst comments then the idea BD will never grow beyond a niche is dead in the water. Nielsen expects BD to sell more than DVD within two years and every other major analyst believes it will happen by 2012 at the latest.

Not really. Nielson is notoriously inaccurate (their broadcast ratings for example are a joke in TV and radio circles) and neither company has access to proprietary numbers. The only people who know are the studios and retailers, both of which seem to think BD is well ahead of Y2 DVD adoption.

In any case, if we're going to go by analyst comments then the idea BD will never grow beyond a niche is dead in the water. Nielsen expects BD to sell more than DVD within two years and every other major analyst believes it will happen by 2012 at the latest.

I've not seen one retailer or studio mention that software sales for BD was ahead of DVD in their respective years and even if they did, I would listen more to a third party analyst over a studio head anyday when it comes to spouting out numbers. Regardless of how much of a joke Nielson or Adams reseach is, it's almost statistically implausible that both groups over estimated by a margin in excess of 50%.

As for when it'll catch DVD, only time will tell, so looking at the numbers now, IMO, I'd say it's highly unlikely to be in a 2 year window. All that's irrelevant though because it's all a guessing game of when it comes to predicting the future.

I would listen more to a third party analyst over a studio head anyday when it comes to spouting out numbers.

I would tend to listen to the people who have the facts in front of them than the people who have to guess and are often proven wrong. But that's just me. It's horses for courses obviously but I think we can both agree BD is going to replace DVD as the mainstream home video platform.

I stopped buying DVDs when Blu-ray won the format war, even though I don't own a Blu-ray player yet. I'm planning to get a new HDTV at some point next year so I'll get one then. No point in buying something on DVD now and then wanting it on Blu-ray several months from now.

I actually already bought the Clone Wars movie on Blu-ray because I wanted the Target exclusive.

I stopped buying DVDs when Blu-ray won the format war, even though I don't own a Blu-ray player yet. I'm planning to get a new HDTV at some point next year so I'll get one then. No point in buying something on DVD now and then wanting it on Blu-ray several months from now.

I actually already bought the Clone Wars movie on Blu-ray because I wanted the Target exclusive.

What was the Target exclusive? Best Buy had it in steelbook. I didn't buy it because I really didn't care for the movie.

I will continue to buy DVDs and Blu. I love Blu-rays, but I can't justify buying a $30 Blu copy of Blades of Glory when the same movie is on DVD at Walmart for $4 (and my PS3 upconverts). That said, almost everything newly released I will buy on Blu!

I will continue to buy DVDs and Blu. I love Blu-rays, but I can't justify buying a $30 Blu copy of Blades of Glory when the same movie is on DVD at Walmart for $4 (and my PS3 upconverts). That said, almost everything newly released I will buy on Blu!

Agreed, DVD still has its place until the prices of Blu's finish dropping to $15-$18.

Of course you could just use my philosophy; If it isn't worth buying on Blu-Ray then I really done like it enough to warrant buying it. Prevents me from having a ridicules amount of movies, some that i hardly ever watch after the first time. I try not to get sucked into "collecting" movies and only buy what I really like.

Sorry, but I'm not buying Blades of Glory on any format. I'll Dled that ^^^^ on my laptop. I loved that movie, but I wouldn't buy it period.

All new movies are on BR period. They just look so much better to me and I love the newest ^^^^!!!

When each newly released Blu Ray costs about 20 bucks, I will start getting these. No lie.

New releases in-store tend to be $29.99 unless on sale and when they're on sale they're usually $27.99 or thereabouts.

New releases in-store tend to be $29.99 unless on sale and when they're on sale they're usually $27.99 or thereabouts.

These are the prices I paid the day these titles were released this year:

Incredible hulk $25.99
Sleeping Beauty $23.99
Iron Man $25.99
Transformers $24.99
National Treasure 1&2 $39.99
Rambo $22.95

As you can see none of them were $30, even the Disney movie which always tend to be more expensive. So as I said: "Almost there, most are $23-$25 when first released. Smaller titles are already $20."

I buy most of my Blu-rays from Amazon. I think they got pretty good prices and never have any dents or tears on the slipcovers if they have one (I am weird about that).

Its getting there. Waiting for the 19.99 mark though. Thats just a good price for me.

Back