The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Blu-ray wins format war

I want you to find some statistics that says that Blu-Ray is doing better than DVD more than 2 years into the format.

I'm sorry, but why are you bothering to have this argument if you don't know what you're talking about? :rolleyes:

You can pick up a ton of information and regular updates at places like The Digital Bits. But even if your energy only expands to Google, it only takes a second to get to pieces like these:

https://www.videobusiness.com/blog/830000483/post/310028031.html

https://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6572676.html

OMFG PWND! :mwaha :stick

Say what you want about upconverting DVD's but you still don't get nearly the crisp/fine detail like the strands of hair, vibrant colors and upgraded sound that Blu provides. DVD's looks so mucky and out of focus/soft even upconverted to me that there is no comparison.

That's because having your machine guess at information that's not there will never be as good as actually having that information in the first place.

I'm sorry, but why are you bothering to have this argument if you don't know what you're talking about? :rolleyes:

You can pick up a ton of information and regular updates at places like The Digital Bits. But even if your energy only expands to Google, it only takes a second to get to pieces like these:

https://www.videobusiness.com/blog/830000483/post/310028031.html

https://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6572676.html

No need to be so smug when you're actually wrong yourself. Fact of the matter is Bluray is not doing better than DVD in it's first few years. Not by a long shot. The skewed hardware numbers from early adopters based on PS3 sales don't mean anyone is buying the media to play in it. The disc sales are what matters. They'll increase no doubt but it'll be along time before they ever catch DVD sales.
https://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6532685.html

No need to be so smug when you're actually wrong yourself. Fact of the matter is Bluray is not doing better than DVD in it's first few years. Not by a long shot. The skewed hardware numbers from early adopters based on PS3 sales don't mean anyone is buying the media to play in it. The disc sales are what matters. They'll increase no doubt but it'll be along time before they ever catch DVD sales.
https://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6532685.html

Just for reference:

New or used DVD sold in the US, compared to VHS

VHS / DVD
Bil. Units/Year
---------------------------
1996 | 10 / 0
1997 | 9 / 0
1998 | 9 / 0
1999 | 8 / 1
2000 | 7.5 / 2
2001 | 7 / 4
2002 | 7 / 7

Six years is how long it took DVD sales to catch VHS sales and that was with an exponential increase in quality as a selling point.

Everything is relative.

Just for reference:

New or used DVD sold in the US, compared to VHS

VHS / DVD
Bil. Units/Year
---------------------------
1996 | 10 / 0
1997 | 9 / 0
1998 | 9 / 0
1999 | 8 / 1
2000 | 7.5 / 2
2001 | 7 / 4
2002 | 7 / 7

Six years is how long it took DVD sales to catch VHS sales and that was with an exponential increase in quality as a selling point.

Everything is relative.

That's probably about how long it'll take Blu-ray discs to catch up to DVD as well, so I don't follow you. I'm not saying it's not doing well, or that I don't like it, because I love it. It's just not doing half as well as DVD did in it's first 2 years. A lot of reasons factor in to that, but I was just quoting a post that was adamant about it doing better already after 2 years, when that's not true.

That's probably about how long it'll take Blu-ray discs to catch up to DVD as well, so I don't follow you. I'm not saying it's not doing well, or that I don't like it, because I love it. It's just not doing half as well as DVD did in it's first 2 years. A lot of reasons factor in to that, but I was just quoting a post that was adamant about it doing better already after 2 years, when that's not true.

Just saying everything is relative so I don't understand what all the debate is between everyone.

It clear that Blu-Ray has better quality then DVD. For those want that step up in picture, can afford the player, and the $5-$10 more per title then they will buy it. Frankly who cares how it is doing compared to anything in the past. It is better quality then DVD period, whether 1 person buys it or 6 billion.

No need to be so smug when you're actually wrong yourself.

Actually the studios themselves claim it's performing better. Third party analysts have to guess. I work in an industry where the analysts are almost always wrong, so perhaps you'll forgive me for not bothering with an unverifiable report eight months out of date. :)

On the plus side, that means I'm not putting much stock in the fact that virtually every home media analyst believes BD will outpace DVD in unit sales by 2012. Which - if we're to trust analysts - basically kills Krypto's claim it'll always be a niche format. Win some, lose some.

Last edited:

Why is it so hard for you to let them have their viewpoint and leave them alone about it. It is not your personal job to correct their outlook on Blu-ray.

Here is what some people find so hard to understand:

People don't always want to "discuss" things. On message boards "discussion" means arguing 99% of the time. People start a thread so that other like minded people can join and comment along with the OP. If the OP of a thread asked for example; "Blu-Ray, is it better then DVD?", then that would be the perfect place for all your views. People come here for fun and to relax, they get sick and tired of arguing or "discussing" things to death when all they wanted to do was find some like minded people to share their likes (or dislikes) on a topic. There is a never ending supply on every single message board of people that just can't resist injecting differing opinions in threads that clearly don't ask for it under the "It's a free country", "what about the first amendment", blah blah blah. People like this clearly don't do it to preserve their right to the first amendment, to preserve the rights of democracy or any other lofty unselfish reason. It's simply done because some people are actually arrogant enough to believe that their opinion (no matter how unwelcome it may be) should matter to everyone. When they get told this isn't the place for it or that it is unwelcome in this particular thread they take it as a personal mission to argue a whole new point to death in addition to the original one.

All it takes is someone humble and respectful enough to simply say "I'm sorry, I didn't realize that wasn't the intention of this thread, I will start another thread where the people who share my viewpoint can discuss the topic further".

Message boards don't have a limit on threads as far as I am aware, so if you don't see a thread to your liking then start a new one, don't try to convert an existing one into something it isn't.

This is a discussion thread in a discussion forum. If you can't handle someone who disagrees with you on an internet forum of all places, then I truly feel sorry for you. You have a lot to learn. I have not bashed the format or any particular poster in this thread. I have observed the rules and followed them. If anything, a few of you guys seem more antagonistic than I right now, proclaiming that I have no right to post in this thread since I don't share a point of view of the populace and have decided to discuss the topic in a civil manner. Which is unfortunately, something that I can't say about you or a few other posters in this thread. If you want to be naive and childish, so be it, but don't expect everyone else to be.

barbelith said:
Actually the studios themselves claim it's performing better.

And I'm sure they have no stake in the success or failure of this format at all. ;)

Well, to be fair, the article you cited was from February. That information, and the perspective that went with it, are not exactly relevant today, as we enter the holiday shopping season, with Blu-ray media prices finally starting to come down (at least on release week pricing), and a very aggressive ad campaign under way.

The significant information will be the media sales results of the next six weeks. And from what anecdotal evidence I've heard so far, and my own experience, sales are brisk.

This is a discussion thread in a discussion forum. If you can't handle someone who disagrees with you on an internet forum of all places, then I truly feel sorry for you.

:rotfl Because that's what I said, "I can't handle it"...........

You have a lot to learn. I have not bashed the format or any particular poster in this thread.

Never said you did, I said people don't want to have to argue with you.

I have observed the rules and followed them. If anything, a few of you guys seem more antagonistic than I right now, proclaiming that I have no right to post in this thread since I don't share a point of view of the populace and have decided to discuss the topic in a civil manner. Which is unfortunately, something that I can't say about you or a few other posters in this thread.

Nobody said you broke any rules, those are your words. I never said you had no right to (that's actually my whole point which obviously you'll never get), it's about having the right to and choosing not to because it is a thread where people want to talk about how much they like their BD players.

If you want to be naive and childish, so be it, but don't expect everyone else to be.

Name calling is a sign of desperation, and frankly uncalled for. But "you have the right to" so I guess that means you should keep doing it. :rolleyes:

Well, to be fair, the article you cited was from February. That information, and the perspective that went with it, are not exactly relevant today, as we enter the holiday shopping season, with Blu-ray media prices finally starting to come down (at least on release week pricing), and a very aggressive ad campaign under way.

The significant information will be the media sales results of the next six weeks. And from what anecdotal evidence I've heard so far, and my own experience, sales are brisk.

How so? The numbers that were given then were still representative of the trend at that time. 8 months out just means the gap could have increased or decreased, it certainly didn't draw even. Regardless it's nowhere near as close as was being discussed and certainly not even a question of Blu out selling DVD in respective years. I was just making the point because it was being tossed about that Blu performed better in it's first two years than DVD did, which just isn't the case. I personally believe Blu is doing wonderfully well for what it's up against, but I'm just being realistic. God knows I'm doing my best to keep them in business.

it doesnt help that Blu's first 2 years are in the middle of bad economic times either.
DVD showed up when things where better and people were spending more.

People are being much more selective of their purchases now and basing them off of price and not necessarily what they really want to buy....

it doesnt help that Blu's first 2 years are in the middle of bad economic times either.
DVD showed up when things where better and people were spending more.

People are being much more selective of their purchases now and basing them off of price and not necessarily what they really want to buy....

I agree that's part of the reason, among a myriad of other things, mainly the number of homes capable of using the technology compared to DVD essentially being a plug and play device for the times.

I was just making the point because it was being tossed about that Blu performed better in it's first two years than DVD did, which just isn't the case.

Correction: which one analyst without access to actual numbers is alleging. :monkey3

I agree that's part of the reason, among a myriad of other things, mainly the number of homes capable of using the technology compared to DVD essentially being a plug and play device for the times.

Yeah, that's true.

I remeber going into my local video place, which rock!!!! They carry everything!!! A huge oldschool VHS collection, a gargantuan DVD section and a HD-DVD/BR section to rival a BB or CC.

Well, I was going to rent a movie and saw they were having a sale on HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray. I got a bunch of HD-DVDs and a few cheaper used Blu-Ray titles. Well, the guy had to ask me if I had either of the players, as they don't play on regular DVD players. I said of course I do and asked him if people were bringing them back complaing about them not playing.

He said that it happened a lot. So yeah, people just don't have the technology in their homes and believe that they are the same. That just makes me think that the advertising has to be pretty bad if people don't even know they need a different kind of player and TV to make ^^^^ run!!

I know I'm a tech nerd and love this stuff and seek it out, so I guess I can see most of America not knowing about every new piece of tech. Just wow. Maybe the word needs to be spread a little better.

And also, what's the percentage of HDTVs in the US right now to SDTVs?? Cause you have to have an HDTV to play them. And most people that already splurged on an HDTV aren't likely to splurge on BR too right when the prices are pretty crazy too. They are to expensive, I know that. But if more were sold, the price would definitely go down. But that means that the studios and manufactureres need to sell it a lot better if they want people to buy them up.

This BF, there are alreayd 2 BR Players under $200., from Samsung & Phillips I believe. So, with the prices of BR Players coming down and the prices of the discs themselves lowering, I can see it growing. And yes, of course DVD is gonna be huge for awhile still. Everyone has one and it's in every computer in the US and the world just about! It's gonna take a long time to spread this ^^^^ out!!!!

Now if Apple would only put a BR Player in their MacBooks, I'd buy one in a heartbeat!!

Back