The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Blu-ray wins format war

We get it, you don't like it. Fine.

God, if you don't like BR and the concept, would you please stop clogging the thread up. I wanna talk about fun stuff and new BR movies.

I said that a firmware update would be okay if it was to access advanced special features, but needing a firmware update just to load a disc is absurd. All Blu-Ray players should play all Blu-Ray discs.

As a proud owner of a Blu-ray player, I have to agree. There is no excuse for not being able to play any Blu-ray disc on any Blu-ray player.

Adding features via firmware = Good!

Having to upgrade firmware for basic functionality = Bad!

What do you guys do with your box sleeves that your BR's come in? Do you keep the BR jewel case in them or toss them out?

I kept some (like Iron Man, where it was a different cover) and threw some out (Like the PotC ones, which were the same cover)....

Wall-E should be here tomorrow on Blu for me. Coming from Amazon.

Who cares about comparisons. Those who prefer DVD's start your own thread where you can have a DVD love fest and bash Blu-Ray to your hearts content. Leave this one to the Blu-Ray fans, Blu-Ray is what they prefer and they don't need to be "educated" otherwise.

How come 90% of threads on all message boards are people trying to convince other people that they are wrong? Let people have their own likes and dislikes, it doesn't ruin your life that they don't agree with you does it?

Stupid I tell you, just stupid...............

I feel like Rodney King, "Cant we all just get along".

Once again Jesse is the voice of reason.

Either that, or his avatar has taken control of me again.

:eek:

I used to keep my box sleeves, but over time I've started throwing them out. Particularly if they are identical to the case art. I don't expect to need them in the future, it's not like I'm going to selling them as mint.

Please. Grow up. I'm simply stating my opinion and backing it up. I'm sorry you can't handle a mature discussion, free of name-calling and baseless accusations, weighing the pro's and con's of a subject like an adult. I'm not telling anybody what's right and what's wrong and what they should or shouldn't watch and what format they should or shouldn't watch their content on. All I'm doing is what you're supposed to do on a discussion board - state your opinion in a friendly manner and back it up in an intelligent discourse. Some of you seem to be of the belief that if someone has a differing opinion or if their view of a certain topic is somewhat negative, then they should just leave the thread. I'm sorry, but that's not the proper way to handle a discussion. It's not as black and white as some of you seem to believe it is.

What's even more absurd is that I actually said that I'd buy a Blu-Ray player for a low price. But I guess it takes too long to read an entire post. Much easier just to nit-pick certain phrases. ;)

Yes, god it takes to long to read your posts, so I'm sure most people just ingore them!

Never had a problem with my PS3 playing any BR or DVD I threw at it.

And I was never name calling, all I was saying was that if you don't like BR, please stop complaining about it here. This is a thread for people that love BR.

Thank you Jesse for stating the obvious!!

If you must bash all the things wrong with BR, please make a BR bashing thread. Yes it has problems, but all new technology has problems. ^^^^, 360 is just starting to get over one of the biggest problems in electronic history!!

So please, take all your negativity to another thread so we here can praise BR for it's gorgeous IQ!!!!

/Rant

Also, can't wait for Wall-E, Tropic Thunder & HB: II!!

Yes, god it takes to long to read your posts, so I'm sure most people just ingore them!

Youre acting like a child.'

If you had read my posts, you would have seen that I had said this a couple of times, leading to my conclusion that Blu-Ray is a PS3 format and not a genuine home video format like DVD since the PS3 is the only legitimate machine that will play every Blu-Ray disc.

And I was never name calling, all I was saying was that if you don't like BR, please stop complaining about it here. This is a thread for people that love BR.

No, this is a Blu-Ray discussion thread. It doesn't say "Blu-Ray gush thread" in the title.

If you must bash all the things wrong with BR, please make a BR bashing thread. Yes it has problems, but all new technology has problems. ^^^^, 360 is just starting to get over one of the biggest problems in electronic history!!

"New" technology? The format has been around for over two years. I wouldn't really call that new. 360, like Blu-Ray, was rushed out before it was finalized.

So please, take all your negativity to another thread so we here can praise BR for it's gorgeous IQ!!!!

/Rant

Negativity? No, sorry, but all I'm doing is stating valid problems with the format. Of course the picture and sound quality on most releases is excellent. I wouldn't begin to refute that. What I've said is that the format has many problems which will ultimately lead to its short life-span and niche market among consumers. Obviously, you're in that niche, but you can't expect everyone to agree with you. That's simply naive.

We get it, you don't like it. Fine.

God, if you don't like BR and the concept, would you please stop clogging the thread up. I wanna talk about fun stuff and new BR movies.
Like WALL-E (looks absolutely GORGEOUS!!!) and Tropic Thunder!! :rock

Who cares about comparisons. Those who prefer DVD's start your own thread where you can have a DVD love fest and bash Blu-Ray to your hearts content. Leave this one to the Blu-Ray fans, Blu-Ray is what they prefer and they don't need to be "educated" otherwise.

How come 90% of threads on all message boards are people trying to convince other people that they are wrong? Let people have their own likes and dislikes, it doesn't ruin your life that they don't agree with you does it?

Stupid I tell you, just stupid...............
:lecture WORD.

How about three separate threads... :idea

1.) I love Blu-ray
2.) I hate Blu-ray
3.) Blu-ray format and the underlying technology: Pros and Cons?

:monkey3 :D

/Rant

sums up my thoughts exactly. it seems like someone is upset about HD DVDs death. if you are just gonna repeat why you dont like Blu Ray please do us all a favor and stay out of this thread and keep comments to yourself.
~~and yes i picked up Wall-E and Tropic Thunder. i watched Tropic Thunder and all of its special features... i'll have to watch Wall E this weekend, but i couldnt resist and watched the Burn E feature and it was pretty funny.

Please read the entire post before commenting. I said that a firmware update would be okay if it was to access advanced special features, but needing a firmware update just to load a disc is absurd.

I read your post; I just disagree with it. We upgrade our computers to run the latest software. The ability for BD players to do the same is a masterstroke.

Look at the spikes in the BD figures. It spikes when something like Indiana Jones or Iron Man are released and then the figures quickly level off.

Just like DVD. And apparently for corresponding titles, based on your chart. This is such a red herring.

And I believe after about 2 years, The Matrix had come out on DVD and sold over a million copies and continued selling millions more during the next couple of years. As it stands, Blu-Ray has been out for a little over two years and the biggest selling title on Blu-Ray is Iron Man with somewhere in the high hundreds of thousands.

You can believe what you like. The fact remains BD is actually performing better today than DVD was at a corresponding point in its life cycle.

It sold 500,000 copies during its first week...and 7.2 million DVD's during its first week. I think that speaks for itself.

It certainly does. It tells us DVD has a far larger installed base than Blu-ray. And also that you're being deceptively selective with your figures, since per title comparisons are meaningless. Where was DVD at the same point in its life cycle?

Oh yeah. Behind BD.

I'm sorry you picked the losing format and took it personally. But the fact is BD is doing better than DVD was at the same point despite the HD battle, the need for an HDTV and a creeping recession. I think that speaks for itself.

Got around to watching Kung Fu Panda tonight and it is awesome on Blu!

Say what you want about upconverting DVD's but you still don't get nearly the crisp/fine detail like the strands of hair, vibrant colors and upgraded sound that Blu provides. DVD's looks so mucky and out of focus/soft even upconverted to me that there is no comparison.

Still have to watch Wall-E, Tropic Thunder and Hellboy 2!

I watched both Wall E and Tropic Thunder last night. Great stuff! It was nice seeing the director's cut of Tropic Thunder.

I read your post; I just disagree with it. We upgrade our computers to run the latest software. The ability for BD players to do the same is a masterstroke.

Masterstroke? Okay. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Just like DVD. And apparently for corresponding titles, based on your chart. This is such a red herring.

Did you somehow miss the extremely large gap of $100+ million between DVD and Blu-Ray?

You can believe what you like. The fact remains BD is actually performing better today than DVD was at a corresponding point in its life cycle.

At best it's performing as well and at worst it's a niche format compared to DVD.

It certainly does. It tells us DVD has a far larger installed base than Blu-ray. And also that you're being deceptively selective with your figures, since per title comparisons are meaningless. Where was DVD at the same point in its life cycle?

I thought I had said. At this point the Matrix had come out and sold several million copies.

Oh yeah. Behind BD.

I'm sorry you picked the losing format and took it personally. But the fact is BD is doing better than DVD was at the same point despite the HD battle, the need for an HDTV and a creeping recession. I think that speaks for itself.

I didn't "pick" a format. There's nothing here for you to come to that conclusion. HD DVD was a finished format when it was released and its support was better than Blu-ray. Heck, there's still firmware updates being issued for Toshiba players. Though you don't need the updates to play a disc. These are facts, not opinion. But that's neither here nor there.

I want you to find some statistics that says that Blu-Ray is doing better than DVD more than 2 years into the format. Please. It really comes down to the fact that the leap from VHS to DVD was huge offering many more features and advanced image and sound quality. The leap from DVD to Blu-Ray is incremental and for most people, totally unnecessary, since the improvement is not as large and the fact that people have much larger DVD libraries than they did VHS libraries. The format will never overtake DVD. It will remain perhaps, as the little brother of DVD, for the video and audiophiles of the world, but that's about it.

You label me as bashing the format while some of you seem to have rose-colored glasses on gushing over the format. Why is it so hard to find some sort of common ground in discussions around here? The world is not black and white and neither is are form of entertainment.

You label me as bashing the format while some of you seem to have rose-colored glasses on gushing over the format. Why is it so hard to find some sort of common ground in discussions around here? The world is not black and white and neither is are form of entertainment.

Why is it so hard for you to let them have their viewpoint and leave them alone about it. It is not your personal job to correct their outlook on Blu-ray.

Here is what some people find so hard to understand:

People don't always want to "discuss" things. On message boards "discussion" means arguing 99% of the time. People start a thread so that other like minded people can join and comment along with the OP. If the OP of a thread asked for example; "Blu-Ray, is it better then DVD?", then that would be the perfect place for all your views. People come here for fun and to relax, they get sick and tired of arguing or "discussing" things to death when all they wanted to do was find some like minded people to share their likes (or dislikes) on a topic. There is a never ending supply on every single message board of people that just can't resist injecting differing opinions in threads that clearly don't ask for it under the "It's a free country", "what about the first amendment", blah blah blah. People like this clearly don't do it to preserve their right to the first amendment, to preserve the rights of democracy or any other lofty unselfish reason. It's simply done because some people are actually arrogant enough to believe that their opinion (no matter how unwelcome it may be) should matter to everyone. When they get told this isn't the place for it or that it is unwelcome in this particular thread they take it as a personal mission to argue a whole new point to death in addition to the original one.

All it takes is someone humble and respectful enough to simply say "I'm sorry, I didn't realize that wasn't the intention of this thread, I will start another thread where the people who share my viewpoint can discuss the topic further".

Message boards don't have a limit on threads as far as I am aware, so if you don't see a thread to your liking then start a new one, don't try to convert an existing one into something it isn't.

Did you somehow miss the extremely large gap of $100+ million between DVD and Blu-Ray?

Do you expect a new format to match one that's had 11 years' head start in terms of revenue? What planet are you from?

At this point the Matrix had come out and sold several million copies.

Sadly this isn't really relevant unless our sole metric is "which format was first with a title with 3 million copies sold." But that's not a metric that paints any kind of real picture beyond positioning The Matrix as a tipping point title. It doesn't say anything about the installed base or total discs sold or total titles available or gross revenue derived from the format - all areas BD is beating DVD on based on lifecycle.

I want you to find some statistics that says that Blu-Ray is doing better than DVD more than 2 years into the format.

I'm sorry, but why are you bothering to have this argument if you don't know what you're talking about? :rolleyes:

You can pick up a ton of information and regular updates at places like The Digital Bits. But even if your energy only expands to Google, it only takes a second to get to pieces like these:

https://www.videobusiness.com/blog/830000483/post/310028031.html

https://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6572676.html

Last edited:
Back