The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Blu-ray wins format war

I've been collecting DVD's for nearly a decade and I've never in all that time had a player that wouldn't play a DVD. Never. I've owned several DVD players as well, from many brands, including Sony, Panasonic, Apex, and Toshiba. They've all loaded every disc, thousands, that I've put in them.

I've been collecting DVD's for nearly a decade and I've never in all that time had a player that wouldn't play a DVD. Never. I've owned several DVD players as well, from many brands, including Sony, Panasonic, Apex, and Toshiba. They've all loaded every disc, thousands, that I've put in them.

Going back a few years, but when The Matrix first came out my player didn't want to know. I took the player back to the shop and they gave me a complete refund as it wasn't 'fit for purpose', I even got to keep the scart and 5 free DVD's I got with it.

Two words: firmware updates.

pretty much, but whatever. if they want to find an excuse they will. sometimes i laugh at some people on these forums. they spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on collectible items yet they balk at spending sub-$200 on a hi def player--while at the same time claiming to be a "videophile."

But really, a player shouldn't need firmware updates just to load a disc and/or play the film itself.

Have you been using the same computer for the past 20 years? The advent of firmware upgrades is actually one of the cleverest things about the BD spec because it allows for innovation.

To access advanced special features, a firmware update would be tolerable, but needing a firmware update to simply load a disc is absurd.

It's because of all the security they are using on the discs, they keep changing things around with disks to try and stop people from copying movies (it doesn't) so the players need to update to play.

Yeah, like darthviper107 said, they keep changing stuff on the discs and it's new technology, so it's gonna have some bugs!! Hell, Xbox 360s might just finally be working! lol

Well, if you don't like BR, don't buy! Really simple! I love it and have a PS3, so it works great for me. Hell, I got a free BR player with the way I look at it, as I just wanted a PS3 and Sony happened to be cool enough to drop a BR player into my sweet game console!!!!

YES!!!! WALL-E and Unrated Tropic Thunder today!!!! Also HB: II cause I forgot about it the other week!

I just ordered both of mine for pick up at my local Best Buy, can't wait to watch these tonight!! :woo

Yeah, I'm heading to Best Buy. They have a free shirt according to the ad for Tropic Thunder. I'm a sucker for freebies. :rotfl

Okay we get it, you don't like Blu-Ray, move on.

Quite the contrary. In theory, Blu-Ray is wonderful. But it's implementation and execution as been terrible. That's my problem. If or when Blu-Ray finally catches on and when they make players that will be able to play all of the discs, then I'll bite. Until then, it'll take a $99 player for me to buy into this format, which looks to be on its last legs if things don't turn around this holiday season.

I thought this to be quite funny. Basically, Blu-Ray revenue hasn't shown any drastic increase over the past several months. It has spikes when a big release like Iron Man or Indy comes out, but otherwise, it's a niche format and looks to stay that way.

revoverlaidoct263of7cb8.jpg

did WALL-E look awesome ?. No one watched it yet ?.
I can imagine it looks brilliant. :rock

last I read Wall-E was branded reference BLuRay material.
I'll be watching it tonite ... :monkey1

Basically, Blu-Ray revenue hasn't shown any drastic increase over the past several months. It has spikes when a big release like Iron Man or Indy comes out, but otherwise, it's a niche format and looks to stay that way.

Why would it show a drastic increase during the summer months? That's not a traditional boom time for home media sales. We see a volatile DVD market and a steady but growing BD market - one that your own chart shows has swollen as we enter the fourth quarter. In any event this chart is so selective as to be useless at best and downright misleading at worst. The only valid metric re: DVD is comparable life cycle and right now BD has a larger installed base, higher revenue and more discs sold than DVD did at the same point in its own history. :rolleyes:

To access advanced special features, a firmware update would be tolerable, but needing a firmware update to simply load a disc is absurd.

What rubbish. We upgrade our computers all the time to use new software. The ability for BD players to update firmware is an asset, not a weakness.

barbelith said:
What rubbish. We upgrade our computers all the time to use new software. The ability for BD players to update firmware is an asset, not a weakness.

Please read the entire post before commenting. I said that a firmware update would be okay if it was to access advanced special features, but needing a firmware update just to load a disc is absurd. All Blu-Ray players should play all Blu-Ray discs. Period. 2-3 years later and the format is still having these kind of problems. It's the sign of a weak format that was rushed to stores before a final spec was created. The BDA should have used something more like the HDi interface taht HD DVD used, instead of this Java nonsense that seems to be so sluggish and unresponsive on so many players.

Why would it show a drastic increase during the summer months? That's not a traditional boom time for home media sales. We see a volatile DVD market and a steady but growing BD market - one that your own chart shows has swollen as we enter the fourth quarter. In any event this chart is so selective as to be useless at best and downright misleading at worst. The only valid metric re: DVD is comparable life cycle and right now BD has a larger installed base, higher revenue and more discs sold than DVD did at the same point in its own history.

Look at the spikes in the BD figures. It spikes when something like Indiana Jones or Iron Man are released and then the figures quickly level off.

And I believe after about 2 years, The Matrix had come out on DVD and sold over a million copies and continued selling millions more during the next couple of years. As it stands, Blu-Ray has been out for a little over two years and the biggest selling title on Blu-Ray is Iron Man with somewhere in the high hundreds of thousands. It sold 500,000 copies during its first week...and 7.2 million DVD's during its first week. I think that speaks for itself.

Back