The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know what the better 4k player is: Sony X800M2 or the X700?

Both look good Wor-Gar but depends on your preferences. X700 has wi-fi but no Bluetooth connectivity that I can see listed and not as sturdy of a build outside but since most of us just leave it on a shelf that shouldn't be a deal breaker. The Dolby has to be turned on as the player doesn't auto scan for it unless they did an update to change that. Hope this helps you out.

I see that some of the Marvel steelbook shave dropped to $28, is this their ?Black Friday low? or will they drop even lower?

Sorry Slynger; I don?t visit this site as often as I used to; otherwise I would have answered your post earlier. The Marvel, Disney, and Pixar SteelBooks were all Buy 2, Get 1 free, so while they were $27.99, the final per SteelBook price was less than that. Iron Man, Iron Man 2, and Iron Man 3 were part of the promo as well, but they were further discounted to $21.99.

Hope you were able to take able to take advantage of the B2G1 promo.

If Disney+ is any indicator of how the original Star Wars trilogy is going to look on 4K Blu-ray, I have to say it’s a mixed bag. Episode four looked great by and large. But The Empire Strikes Back had some serious problems. Whatever process they used to enhance the image for the wider color spectrum works great on much of the film, but some of the Dagobah and Cloud City scenes came out horribly - actors faces were completely obliterated in shadow. I sure hope they correct this, but I have a feeling they’re not going to bother. was I the only one that has noticed this?

I'm thinking they didn't do much for HDR on the existing films. For something shot on film it doesn't contain full HDR, in that while it has a lot of color it can't have higher brightness values. To do a proper HDR conversion they have to manually go in and rotoscope parts of the image and decide how bright they want things to be, and I don't think they were doing that for this 4K master. Hopefully when they release for UHD Blu-Ray it will have HDR done properly.

I see that Paramount will be releasing Gemini Man on 4K with 60fps HFR. For whatever reason I assumed that wasn't an option for home releases.

Hopefully that means that next year's rumored LOTR/Hobbit 4K set includes options to watch the latter trilogy in 48fps. Despite the controversy over that format and the films themselves I still consider HFR to be the "correct" way to view them (and in 3D too, but that will have to be a battle for another day.)

I see that Paramount will be releasing Gemini Man on 4K with 60fps HFR. For whatever reason I assumed that wasn't an option for home releases.

Hopefully that means that next year's rumored LOTR/Hobbit 4K set includes options to watch the latter trilogy in 48fps. Despite the controversy over that format and the films themselves I still consider HFR to be the "correct" way to view them (and in 3D too, but that will have to be a battle for another day.)

Forgive my ignorance but how will 48 fps be accomplished on a 4k disc? I'm not sure but didn't a special adapted projector needed for the theater? So it is possible on 4k disc but not blu ray?

There's 60fps Playstation and X-Box games on 4K game discs so I'm guessing that similar technology would be at play for the movies.

I played with HFR on my old tv and it made Jaws look like a soap opera. Its really freaky. You feel like you're right there... but its far less theatrical.

I played with HFR on my old tv and it made Jaws look like a soap opera. Its really freaky. You feel like you're right there... but its far less theatrical.

Exactly how I felt seeing the first Hobbit film in the theater- very hard to adjust at first but next two had less noticeable "soap opera tv" feeling- I read Jackson said process was adjusted for those two...

Its great fun to rewatch old movies on though. Like I said, the stirring waters in Jaws looked like you could jump right in.

How do you do this? You play a Blu Ray in a machine with a faster frame rate??? I had no idea this kind of thing could be done!

I think he's talking about having your TV turn off motion blur. I used to do that when watching my Hobbit blu-rays because it is a decent way to simulate HFR at home.

It was actually a setting in my tv. I think it was called HFR that simulated 48fps. A gimmick. I played a few movies with it and showed a few friends and then never touched it again.

The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Holy crap the MCU movies 4K steelbooks are at $15.00!!!!

BF the non steelbooks were $23!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back