The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They can keep it. :lol

I hate 3-D. (psst, even thinking of skipping TPM 3-D! :horror)

jarjar.jpg

They can keep it. :lol

I hate 3-D. (psst, even thinking of skipping TPM 3-D! :horror)

I am neutral on 3D (even though I've been buying 3D movies, probably unnecessarily :slap:gah: :lol:lol), but Hugo was an amazing experience in 3D. I saw it twice in the theaters (the first was 2d and I went back to see it in 3D) and the 3d actually added to the movie experience. I am definitely getting that movie on 3D Blu-ray as I don't think I could watch it without the 3D. Even though I will have to since I don't own a 3D tv. :lol

Hey, I was wondering if anyone here heard anything about a possible Terminator Quadrilogy coming out anytime soon. I found out that there is an european DVD box set with all the movies and I'm kind waiting for a BluRay set to come out. Any news?

Terminator Quadrilogy
VIFR006689_250.jpg

:rock :rock :exactly::exactly::yess::clap

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/ridley-scott/film-viewing-blu-ray_b_1132350.html

The Only Way to See a Film

By Ridley Scott
Director

Technology continues to bring us wondrous advances in filmmaking to improve how we view movies.

While it's exciting to consider the possibilities stemming from this era of innovation -- which directors and futurists for decades have envisioned -- that allows us to watch a movie "anywhere, anytime," the more preoccupied we become with the technologies of how movies can reach us, the less we seem to ask the most important question: How do we really want to experience a film?

In my view, the only way to see a film remains the way the filmmaker intended: inside a large movie theater with great sound and pristine picture. Music and dialogue that doesn't fully reproduce the soundtrack of the original loses an essential element for its appreciation. Simply put, the film loses its power.

Short of that, the technically sophisticated Blu-ray disc, of which I've been a supporter since its inception, is the closest we've come to replicating the best theatrical viewing experience I've ever seen. It allows us to present in a person's living room films in their original form with proper colors, aspect ratio, sound quality, and, perhaps most importantly, startling clarity.

Which is why it has never made sense to me that those preoccupied with how movies are delivered have for years written off "physical media" (i.e., movies on discs) as "dead" even though the evidence shows it isn't happening and won't for years to come. Technology will need to make many more huge leaps before one can ever view films with the level of picture and sound quality many film lovers demand without having to slide a disc into a player, especially with the technical requirements of today's 3D movies.

Granted, the older DVD technology is phasing out. But it is yielding to the Blu-ray just as videocassettes once gave way to the technically superior DVD. This is evolution. Far from being dead, physical media has years of life left and must be preserved because there is no better alternative. Pundits aside, Blu-ray for the foreseeable future remains the finest technology to preserve the impact and enjoyment of watching movies at home.

We've come a long way from those flickering, silent screens which were accompanied only by a person playing a piano. What has remained constant is that people then and now have always sought out the magic one feels after watching a truly memorable film. For movie lovers it doesn't matter whether that magic comes at a theater or through a disc, an electronic stream, a satellite or a wireless device as long as it is delivered through the best possible experience.

The browser should shrink the image automatically. If that's not the case I'll delete it. I can see how a picture that big can be an inconvenience.

Oh don't delete it! I was just surprised how big it is. On my computer if only shrinks about a quarter of an inch from the original. Others may see it differently.

That sig shows up very tiny for me, but when I enlarged it, I thoroughly enjoyed the read and laugh.

Ridley's comment: I was scared at first that it would be promoting 3-D. Glad that wasn't the case, and I totally agree about seeing a film in the theater proper. Proof positive is me driving to L.A. from Vegas to see Blade Runner: Final Cut in theater when I didn't think it would make it here. I don't regret it at all. I only wish more great films were rereleased in full film glory on the big screen, and not just in areas far away from me.

Now, I has a sad... :(

Can't wait for Prometheus! :D Wait, is that coming in 3-D? :panic:

Hey, I was wondering if anyone here heard anything about a possible Terminator Quadrilogy coming out anytime soon. I found out that there is an european DVD box set with all the movies and I'm kind waiting for a BluRay set to come out. Any news?

Terminator Quadrilogy
VIFR006689_250.jpg

D, I´m also still waiting on a T1 Skynet Edition, which Van Ling has in the works for years, but is on hold for stupid Titanic 3D.
Hope they wrap this up in due time...
:slap

Oh fury, I wouldn't put in an article promoting 3D. That would be crazy. :horror:panic::panic::panic:

:lol:lol:lol

That sig shows up very tiny for me, but when I enlarged it, I thoroughly enjoyed the read and laugh.

Ridley's comment: I was scared at first that it would be promoting 3-D. Glad that wasn't the case, and I totally agree about seeing a film in the theater proper. Proof positive is me driving to L.A. from Vegas to see Blade Runner: Final Cut in theater when I didn't think it would make it here. I don't regret it at all. I only wish more great films were rereleased in full film glory on the big screen, and not just in areas far away from me.

Now, I has a sad... :(

Can't wait for Prometheus! :D Wait, is that coming in 3-D? :panic:

After much speculation, the Criterion Collection has finally posted their full roster of Blu-ray releases for March 2012.

Titles include Martin Scorsese's The Last Temptation of Christ, Mikhail Kalatozov's Letter Never Sent, Chris Hegedus & D.A. Pennebaker's The War Room, the David Lean Directs Noël Coward boxset - which bundles together In Which We Serve, This Happy Breed, Brief Encounter, and Blithe Spirit - and Roy Ward Baker's A Night to Remember.

Of those, A Night to Remember, The Last Temptation of Christ, and Brief Encounter are the only previously available Criterion entries receiving Blu-ray upgrades; the rest are new to the Criterion Collection.

Furthermore, the Kalatozov, Hegedus & D.A. Pennebaker, and the three remaining Lean films are making their respective debuts onto the North American Blu-ray format.

Quoted below are Criterion's release date and disc specifications for each film.

Update: It appears that for the time being, the four David Lean Blu-rays are only available if purchased through the four-disc bundle.

The Last Temptation of Christ (March 13th, 2012) —
Restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by cinematographer Michael Ballhaus and editor Thelma Schoonmaker
5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack by supervising sound editor Skip Lievsay
Audio commentary featuring director Martin Scorsese, actor Willem Dafoe, and writers Paul Schrader and Jay Cocks
Galleries of production stills, research materials, and costume designs
Location production footage shot by Scorsese
Interview with composer Peter Gabriel, with a stills gallery of traditional instruments used in the score
An essay by film critic David Ehrenstein

Letter Never Sent (March 20th, 2012) —
New high-definition digital restoration
Uncompressed monaural soundtrack
New English subtitle translation
A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Dina Iordanova

The War Room (March 20th, 2012) —
New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by directors D. A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus
2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
Return of the War Room, a 2008 documentary in which advisers James Carville, George Stephanopoulos, and Paul Begala and others reflect on the effect the Clinton war room had on the way campaigns are run
Making The War Room, a conversation between the filmmakers about the difficulties of shooting in the campaign's fast-paced environment
Panel discussion hosted by the William J. Clinton Foundation and featuring Carville, Clinton adviser Vernon Jordan, journalist Ron Brownstein, and surprise guest Bill Clinton
Interview with strategist Stanley Greenberg on the increasing importance of polling
A booklet featuring an essay by writer Louis Menand

David Lean Directs Noël Coward (March 27th, 2012) —
New high-definition digital transfers of the BFI National Archive's 2008 restorations
Uncompressed monaural soundtracks
Audio commentary on Brief Encounter by film historian Bruce Eder
New interviews with Noël Coward scholar Barry Day on all of the films
Interview with cinematographer-screenwriter-producer Ronald Neame from 2010
Short documentaries from 2000 on the making of In Which We Serve and Brief Encounter
David Lean: A Self Portrait - a 1971 television documentary on Lean's career
Episode of the British television series The Southbank Show from 1992 on the life and career of Coward
Audio recording of a 1969 conversation between Richard Attenborough and Coward at London's National Film Theatre
Trailers
A booklet featuring essays by Ian Christie, Terrence Rafferty, Farran Nehne, Geoffrey O'Brien, and Kevin Brownlow

A Night to Remember (March 27th, 2012) —
New high-definition digital restoration
Uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
Audio commentary by Don Lynch and Ken Marschall, author and illustrator of Titanic: An Illustrated History
The Making of A Night to Remember, a sixty-minute documentary from 1993 featuring William MacQuitty's rare behind-the-scenes footage
Archival interview with Titanic survivor Eva Hart
En natt att minas, a forty-five-minute Swedish documentary from 1962 featuring interviews with Titanic survivors
Trailer
A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Michael Sragow

70_BD_box_348x490.jpg

601_BD_box_348x490.jpg

602_BD_box_348x490.jpg

603_BD_box_348x490.jpg

7_BD_box_348x490.jpg

Back