The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No Beauty and the Beast? Pinocchio? Sleeping Beauty? Snow White? :cuckoo:

I got all the Disney Classics but they're the danish releases. But i still don't have Beauty And The Beast because Disney cussed up :mad: It was released Oct. 19 but all the stores in the country only got between 0-4 copies and they were all sold out :gah: So it's been on backorder everywhere for almost a month and i'm waiting for Blockbuster to call me when they get it again since i can get it for free there.

Some Black Friday ads posted early. :hi5:
If I didn't already own almost everything that is going to be on sale, I'd be all over the place! Looks like the only thing I DON'T have is Predators Blu and that will be $9.99 at Best Buy. :rock

Walmart
https://forum.blu-ray.com/black-friday/157289-here-walmart-2010-black-friday-ad.html

Target
https://forum.blu-ray.com/black-friday/156964-target-ad-black-friday.html

Best Buy
https://forum.blu-ray.com/black-friday/157189-best-buy-bf-ad.html

wow. Best Buy is having Saving Private Ryan for $9.99?? That's BS!!! I just bought that when it came out.
And that 50" Plasma for $699 is pretty tempting even though I have my eyes on a Sharp LCD right now.

wow. Best Buy is having Saving Private Ryan for $9.99?? That's BS!!! I just bought that when it came out.
And that 50" Plasma for $699 is pretty tempting even though I have my eyes on a Sharp LCD right now.

The trouble with doorbusters are you usually have to stand in line early in the morning.

February may be short, but the Blu-ray slate from The Criterion Collection certainly is not – the independent label has just announced six very notable movies for that month. On February 1, it will release The Double Life of Veronique (La double vie de Véronique; Krzysztof Kieślowski, 1991). On February 8, Amarcord (Federico Fellini, 1973) and Still Walking (Aruitemo aruitemo; Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2008) are coming out. Finally, on February 22 Criterion will release three movies: Fish Tank (Andrea Arnold, 2009), Senso (Luchino Visconti, 1954) and Sweet Smell of Success (Alexander Mackendrick, 1957).

The transfer of Fish Tank has been approved by director Andrea Arnold, director of photography Robbie Ryan, and editor Nicolas Chaudeurge. Senso features a new, restored high-definition digital transfer, created in collaboration with the Cineteca di Bologna and Martin Scorsese's Film Foundation, supervised by director of photography Giuseppe Rotunno. The transfer of Still Walking was approved by director Hirokazu Kore-eda and director of photography Yutaka Yamazaki.

Special features include:

Amarcord:
Audio commentary by film scholars Peter Brunette and Frank Burke
American release trailer
Deleted scene
Fellini's Homecoming: new 45-minute documentary on the complicated relationship between the celebrated director, his hometown, and his past
Video interview with star Magali Noël
Fellini's drawings of characters in the film
"Felliniana," a presentation of ephemera devoted to Amarcord from the collection of Don Young
Audio interviews with Fellini, his friends, and family by Gideon Bachmann
New restoration demonstration
A book featuring a new essay by scholar Sam Rohdie, author of Fellini Lexicon, and the full text of Fellini's 1967 essay, "My Rimini"

The Double Life of Véronique:
Audio commentary by Annette Insdorf, author of Double Lives, Second Chances: The Cinema of Krzysztof Kieślowski
Three short documentary films by Kieślowski:
Factory (1970)
Hospital (1976)
Railway Station (1980)
The Musicians (1958): a short film by Kieślowski's teacher Kazimierz Karabasz
Kieślowski's Dialogue (1991): a documentary featuring a candid interview with Kieślowski and rare behind-the-scenes footage from the set of The Double Life of Véronique
1966-1988: Kieślowski, Polish Filmmaker: a 2005 documentary tracing the filmmaker's work in Poland, from his days as a student through The Double Life of Véronique
A 2005 interview with actress Irène Jacob
New video interviews with cinematographer Slawomir Idziak and composer Zbigniew Preisner
A booklet featuring an essay by Jonathan Romney, and a selection from Kieślowski on Kieślowski

Fish Tank:
All three of Arnold's short films:
Milk (1998)
Dog (2001)
Wasp (2003) (Oscar-winning short)
New video interview with actor Kierston Wareing
Interview with actor Michael Fassbender from 2009
Audition footage
Stills gallery by on-set photographer Holly Horner
Original theatrical trailer
A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Ian Christie

Senso:
The Making of Senso: a new documentary featuring Rotunno, assistant director Francesco Rosi, costume designer Piero Tosi, and Caterina D'Amico, daughter of screenwriter Suso Cecchi D'Amico and author of Life and Work of Luchino Visconti
Viva VERDI: a new documentary on Visconti, Senso, and opera featuring Italian film scholar Peter Brunette, Italian historian Stefano Albertini, and author Wayne Koestenbaum
The Wanton Countess: the rarely seen English-language version of the film
Visual essay by film scholar Peter Cowie
Man of Three Worlds: Luchino Visconti: a 1966 BBC special exploring Visconti's parallel masteries of cinema, theater, and opera direction
A booklet featuring an essay by filmmaker and author Mark Rappaport and an excerpt from actor Farley Granger's autobiography, Include Me Out

Still Walking:
Making Still Walking
Trailer
A booklet featuring a new essay by film critic Dennis Lim and recipes for the food prepared in the film

Sweet Smell of Success:
New audio commentary by film scholar James Naremore
Mackendrick: The Man Who Walked Away: a 1986 documentary featuring interviews with director Alexander Mackendrick, actor Burt Lancaster, producer James Hill, and more
James Wong Howe: Cinematographer: a 1973 documentary about the Oscar-winning director of photography, featuring lighting tutorials with Howe
New video interview with film critic and historian Neil Gabler (Winchell: Gossip, Power and the Culture of Celebrity) about legendary columnist Walter Winchell, inspiration for the character J. J. Hunsecker
New video interview with filmmaker James Mangold about Mackendrick, his instructor and mentor
Original theatrical trailer
PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Gary Giddins, two short stories by Ernest Lehman featuring the characters from the film, notes about the film by Lehman, and an excerpt from Mackendrick's book On Film-making

17927_front.jpg

17924_front.jpg

17926_front.jpg

17925_front.jpg

17928_front.jpg

13132_front.jpg

Did you read the small print though? 10 copies per store. Same goes for all the other blu movies mentioned in the ad, 5 per store! that's what pisses me off about these stupid black Friday ads, the splash a super deal on the front page and then get 5 per store?? Total BS. I know it's a tactic used to get you into the store but still. Good luck to anybody gunning for these as you'll have to compete again literally HUNDREDS of turkey filled sleep deprived raving mad shoppers.

That's a minimum not a maximum. Meaning there will be at least 10 in the store, but likely a lot more.

Either way, get there early though.

In my experience Kubuki, at least here in San Diego, the minimum is ALL the usually get. Hence the fistfight at the BB I was at last year. plus I was in line by midnight and I still didn't get some of the movies I wanted last year. But fingers crossed all the same that some of you luck out!

That's the trouble. It's so busy and so many people, that buy the time you navigate the store, things are gone. It used to be kinda fun to do Black Friday, but more and more it's losing it's "charm".

Back