The Best Brilliant But Cancelled Dramas of the Decade

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deadwood was too awesome for TV. It seems like there are hundreds of crappy, play-to-the-lowest-common-denominator sitcoms last forever, but sometimes the good shows just expect too much from the audience.

I also agree about Freaks and Geeks.

Roswell..........

Roswell went "south" because of the WB. Unfortunately, WB thought they had "better ideas" than the writers of the show for the start of the second season. Season 1 was perfect. Season 2, while good, felt MUCH different from the highly rated Season 1 and it showed. So you can thank the WB for Roswell's low ratings and cancellation. If the writers were allowed to continue their original thoughts, I can almost guarantee that we would have see a Season 4 and 5, if not more.

UPN did us fans a favor by picking it up for a third season, but unfortunately the damage had been done.....:monkey3 Not even UPN could help that.

For what its worth, I LOVED Roswell too. And honestly, I put it right up there behind Buffy and Angel. Roswell certainly held its own, and while I wish some things turned out differently, I'm still glad I got to enjoy the experience. But, everything happens for a reason. It was a unique show with a concept and likeness that I doubt we will ever see again. The characters and their relationships were what drew the audiences in, including myself. Mix that in with an extra-terrestrial twist, and you have one amazing show, hence the success of Roswell. That's one show I won't forget. :monkey2

I take it you were a big Nasedo fan, Nasedo?

John Doe for sure!!!

Karen Sisco was put on hiatus (never a good sign) and was supposed to be changed to Sunday night after ALIAS for a Sunday Heroine themed night.

Drive was a tremendous letdown when it was cancelled.

Now & Then ended with such a great cliffhanger that the network should be cancelled for not giving it a proper ending. And that was Without a Trace's Eric Close as the "Super" human. He then went on to

The Magnificent Seven - C'mon! Biehn, Perlman, Close....TV deserves a western!!

Jericho got a bit of a reprieve at least.

Eyes was another great show. Very likeable cast and just a lot of fun to watch.

Veritas was a great show. Unfortunately killed by the news break-ins and special broadcasts resulting from 9-11.

Crusade would have been nice to see continue.

Yeah, I liked John Doe too. Purcell has gone on to good things too.

Funnily - the ABC Family show "Kyle XY" is a teenage John Doe - I'm liking that one too.

I understand your point because Firefly was amazing (and I'm a huge Whedon fan,) however, Firefly got a movie deal in the end. That's something that most successful shows hardly get.
that just supports how awesome the show was.
Firefly wasn't on there because it's not a drama, it's Sci-Fi.
sci fi is the genre. that doesn't mean its not a drama.

sci fi is the genre. that doesn't mean its not a drama.

According to the author of the article, Firefly is sci-fi. Thus you and I both stand corrected as Roswell and Firefly made it on that list instead.

https://tv.yahoo.com/blog/the-best-brilliant-but-cancelled-scifi-shows--108

that just supports how awesome the show was.

Without doubt, I feel that it was an awesome show, but with that reasoning, Buffy the Vampire Slayer deserves to be on the list even more so than Firefly because: it was Emmy-award winning, spawned millions of dollars in merchandise including a comic book line, graphic novels, statues, conventions, and not to mention it gave life to "little old show" called Angel. Furthermore, Buffy is still in syndication. Yet, even after all of that, it was still canceled. So if any of Joss' creations deserves to be on the list, it's Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I loved the Magnificent Seven!!!

Due South and War of the Worlds come to mind as well. Those two shows suffered from producers screwing with the chemistry though.

Whats really sad is some shows I plainly remember thinking "that looks stupid" when it was on the air, only to have discovered them again on Netflix and really like them.

I remember especially dismissing both Joan of Arcadia and Wonderfalls when seeing previews for their "talk to God" premises and now they are both some of my all time favorites.

Me and Woman are doing Jericho right now. Does it end well in season 2 at least? Does it get cut off abruptly?

I liked Everwood and The Magnificent Seven but I never felt so strongly about those, now Deadwood and Carnivale were true gems that should have gotten their proper runtime of Seasons! Especially Carnivale as I have never seen a show like that before or since and that ending makes me so sad to see what could have been...:(

!!!!!!R O M E !!!!!!!!!!!!

Rome
(August 2005 - March 2007)
Here's another one of those visually stunning historical pieces that HBO does so well. It's just a shame that they all seem to get cut short because of low ratings and expensive production costs. Who'd have thunk? Featuring the dashing Kevin McKidd in a toga, this epic undertaking tried to hail Caesar but even though it looked stunning and had engaging plots, it was buried under the costs of its elaborate sets.

it was Emmy-award winning, spawned millions of dollars in merchandise including a comic book line, graphic novels, statues, conventions, and not to mention it gave life to "little old show" called Angel.

I don't think any of that necessarily means it's any good.

Back