The Batman (June 25, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just dawned on me where else I saw a blue light power build up using a powerful wind up sound just like with the batmobile..

1646611219285.gif

Huge let down not going with Phoenix Joker for this.
Shut your mouth! Its funny how our opinions of the Joker have flip flopped. I borderline hate the movie for all the reasons you listed when you first saw it. I saw it twice in the theaters. Once was good 2nd time I fell asleep for parts and I just hated the Joker himself. Not my kind of joker.
Well, saw this in a theater yesterday… and it has been crawling in my mind ever since.

Great visuals! Gotham… the Batmobile intro… I LOVED that Batman fight in the dark with only the gun flashes showing pieces of the combat! There were tons of things like that throughout the movie.

I’ll get to my OVERALL opinion so you don’t have to read the minutia below…

REALLY LIKED IT. I did not love it. I think in some ways it takes a bit of getting used to. It’s slower. It’s moodier. There’s not a lot of action. And… my ultimate fear… its way too long. But I can say I loved this alot more than it disappointed me.

As expected, I “enjoyed” this more than BB and TDKR. It now resides among my Top 3 Batman movies at the moment -- not in order: TDK, ’89 and The Batman. And ’89 is only there because of nostalgia and I still think the batsuit looks cool; but it really doesn’t compare to the other, harder-edged two.

OK, so details:

Loved Gotham.

Loved the Riddler. I actually found him scarier without his mask. Twisted little derp incel is scary as hell because he exists in our society. I kind of wish he got caught earlier and then escaped for a final showdown. I wanted more of him rather than cosplayers at the end.

Catwoman - sexy. I think I may like her better than Michelle, at least in my desire to… well, anyway…

Penguin. Disappointed Jye could get that name converted to Worguin before release, but whatever Jye. He was fine as a Mafioso… I think he might have been better served as Falcone and create a more interesting villain in Penguin. Incredible make-up anyway.

That said, Falcone was great -- dangerous, smarmy, yet smooth. You can see why he’s so feared.

Gordon. I love Jeffrey Wright but he felt like he was doing his usual thing. He was a good Gordon though, just nothing completely different.

Alfred. Meh. I don’t care for Serkis too much, so…

My biggest gripes are the length, of course, and the unnecessary final “act”. It felt tagged on. I thought it should end on Batman realizing the Riddler does not know he’s Bruce Wayne. Let the Riddler be tormented by that riddle. The whole “superplot” reveal, flooding Gotham, and the crazy Riddlerees assault didn’t work for me at all, and at that point a lot of good will started to outflow for me. Plus, a man in a cape still looks silly helping fireman as the sun rises. Maybe the flood should have happened earlier, at the midpoint of the story once Riddler’s caught, and in the turmoil that’s how Riddler escapes and Batman has to hunt him down before he does something else (a final, final twist). The Riddlerees could just be his gang protecting him in the finale.

Boy, what I wouldn’t give to take a crack at re-editing that movie. There’s a kick-ass monster at 2 hours 15 minutes in there.
Nice. Glad you enjoyed it. I must be the only one who really had no issues with the ending. Must be cause it gave me some of that action I was craving. Your ending would have been better... I agree 100% about the Riddler. Like a little incel weasel was perfect way to play him.
The face he made when he was getting handcuffed with his head getting pressed on the diner countertop. He looked possessed and I was like "holy **** that face and those eyes!!"
Yes! When he was opening his mouth when they were handcuffing him. Loved it. Perfect.
Is this a first…

DiFabio
Wor-Gar
Clown
JAWS
ironwez
batfan08

agree on a movie!

cough Khev cough

I know I missed a ton of other names

Someone ask Crows if he liked it lol

What was the name of that skinny Pakistani musician kid that loved TDKR and he had epic post battles with DiFabio….I wonder what he thinks lol

:lol

I was thinking the same thing.

I guarantee we agree on a lot of older/classic films... I don't know if this has ever happened for a modern blockbuster type film.

Come on Khev don't let us down.

As expected, I “enjoyed” this more than BB and TDKR. It now resides among my Top 3 Batman movies at the moment -- not in order: TDK, ’89 and The Batman. And ’89 is only there because of nostalgia and I still think the batsuit looks cool; but it really doesn’t compare to the other, harder-edged two.
:duff My thoughts down to the T.

Maybe I could enjoy Phonix in this batman universe (I know they could not do it now)

I mean maybe if he looked and acted a bit more classic Joker and stopped blaming society for all his problems :lol

Get rid of that stupid red circle at the end of his nose also and the blue triangles at the eyes... Stop dancing also..

Basically don't do anything you did in The Joker :lol

:lol

I was thinking the same thing.

I guarantee we agree on a lot of older/classic films... I don't know if this has ever happened for a modern blockbuster type film.

Come on Khev don't let us down.

I'm pretty sure we'd all agree on the classics, or we wouldn't all be here.

I think most here agree on TDK... as far as it being Joker/Ledger's movie.

If Khev swings with all, then its like a super trifecta... or septecta... but it will be interesting to see for whom this Bat-glory wears off the fastest.

Huge let down not going with Phoenix Joker for this.

Gawd no! I'm glad they didn't go with him.

While one can say the story mismatch between Bruce' history here can be explained by Joker's skewed view on reality on his own film, I do not think that Joker will be any match for any competent Batman. Even this "inexperienced" year 2 Batman would easily beat that Joker up.
This Riddler was a way better villain than that Joker will ever be if you put him into this film.
Are people getting the HT figures? Reg or Deluxe... or Bat-signal Super-DX?

Batman, Selina, Penguin and Riddler would make a cool looking shelf.

I even think Nolan's Joker could fit in with that group quite nicely for display.

I'm going to try to get the one with the Bat Signal from our local distributor if I get the chance to visit their shop this week.

So what’s better…

Joker or The Batman?

As far as a movie about comic book characters go, The Batman by a mile. If it's just about a character movie, then maybe The Joker. I still see "The Joker" as a movie more about some random clown having mental issues than it is a film about the Joker that would become one of Batman's main foes.

Can anyone remember all the colors of the Riddler's envelopes To The Batman?

I remember green, purple, yellow, and red. That's 4. Choombaz said there's 5, and one is a black envelope.

Phoenix's 'Joker' character has no place in a movie with heart like The Batman. Although I found his character film to be technically well done and well acted, it was a cynical, bleak and nasty simulacram of an auteur-style film with Phoenix repeating tired character beats he can do in his sleep at this point. His alienated loner on the brink of very bad things schtick bores me at this point.

He was 'The Joker' for about 20 seconds at best and a well-played psychopath for the rest of the film, and not remotely the twisted criminal mastermind that's been Batman's nemesis for decades across various media. No charisma, no intellect, and certainly no competence. All foggy psychosis and shock value.

Phoenix's 'Joker' character has no place in a movie with heart like The Batman. Although I found his character film to be technically well done and well acted, it was a cynical, bleak and nasty simulacram of an auteur-style film with Phoenix repeating tired character beats he can do in his sleep at this point. His alienated loner on the brink of very bad things schtick bores me at this point.

He was 'The Joker' for about 20 seconds at best and a well-played psychopath for the rest of the film, and not remotely the twisted criminal mastermind that's been Batman's nemesis for decades across various media. No charisma, no intellect, and certainly no competence. All foggy psychosis and shock value.
My impression is it was a film about a mentally-ill person descending into madness and eventually violence.

But who would want to watch that? Setting aside the fact that it's been done before and far better.

I mean maybe if he looked and acted a bit more classic Joker and stopped blaming society for all his problems :lol

Get rid of that stupid red circle at the end of his nose also and the blue triangles at the eyes... Stop dancing also..
HHlZ8ge.gif

Basically don't do anything you did in The Joker :lol
bZPM4yt.gif

OEmwF41.jpg

Back