The Batman (June 25, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cover of this month's Total Film.
20220128_155758.jpg

But *does* he need to protect against guns or does he just need to avoid being seen and shot at?

We have to forgive the cape because it's axiomatic, but after that it strikes me that stealth and mobility, plus the ability to engage in close quarters combat when need be to negate the ranged weapons, is what Batman could be. He's supposed to be this Master Tactician and Planner. Basic Sun Tzu states that you don't fight unless you've chosen the ground and assured victory. Why is Batman fighting 'fair'? Why is he presenting himself as a target? Wouldn't be so much more scary if he was mostly unseen yet effective?

I picture some of the fight scenes from Bourne Identity and John Wick (minus the guns) in terms of joint locks and disabling opponents at close range.

I also don't buy him staying up -- Kevlar or not -- when shot at point blank range.

Maybe a Kevlar vest etc. integrated into his suit but not to the point of sacrificing speed and stealth, more of a last resort to prevent immediate fatality.

That kind of confidence and skill would make Batman even more of a psycho in a world of heavily armed criminals.

Exactly. Avoid being shot. Be better, faster, be invisible. That seems to be his whole gag anyway. Popping out of the dark to snatch a criminal.

The idea of a Terminator Batman who strides into the warehouse and deflects 20 guns is just silly and not what Batman is about. He's smarter than that.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin-ja!!!!!

I would even buy that the cape is made of exotic high tech anti-ballistic material. Not enough to prevent severe injury at close range but enough to prevent slugs from penetrating, maybe fire resistant as well. At least then it would have some tactical advantage.

Yeah, I still find the cape the most archaic item on Batman's costume. I mean, in the real world, no one wears a cape -- not for any purpose at all. It's not even a fashion style.

However, in a make-believe Gotham that establishes capes as a fashion style, then I would accept it -- also, as you say, it would need a tactical advantage. Perhaps to ricochet bullets, but more probably to disguise Batman in the dark, also, like Frodo's cape that makes him look like a rock, I could see Batman covering himself and looking like a small plastic covered crate in a shadowy warehouse until he springs to life.

I would even buy that the cape is made of exotic high tech anti-ballistic material. Not enough to prevent severe injury at close range but enough to prevent slugs from penetrating, maybe fire resistant as well. At least then it would have some tactical advantage.
Well in BVS Batman actually saved Martha from a flamethrower with his cape.

... I guess ... the issue is similar to the Daredevil one. None of these superheroes are allowed to be small, street-level operators anymore (especially not Batman).

There have to be explosions, flashy tech, larger-than-life set pieces and warehouses full of heavily armed opponents surrounding the hero.

It will never happen, but how I would love to see someone take Spidey or Batman, strip them back to their fundamental motivation to just do something and integrate them into the ecosystem of the mundane criminal underworld as the ambush predators they are. Spidey motivated by a sense of responsibility and guilt, Batman by vengeance, grief and rage.

Terrorizing drug dealers, beating on violent criminals, rescuing regular people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Adopting bad neighbourhoods, and tipping off the police. No need to 'save the world'.

... I guess ... the issue is similar to the Daredevil one. None of these superheroes are allowed to be small, street-level operators anymore (especially not Batman).

There have to be explosions, flashy tech, larger-than-life set pieces and warehouses full of heavily armed opponents surrounding the hero.

It will never happen, but how I would love to see someone take Spidey or Batman, strip them back to their fundamental motivation to just do something and integrate them into the ecosystem of the mundane criminal underworld as the ambush predators they are. Spidey motivated by a sense of responsibility and guilt, Batman by vengeance, grief and rage.

Terrorizing drug dealers, beating on violent criminals, rescuing regular people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Adopting bad neighbourhoods, and tipping off the police. No need to 'save the world'.

i got you brothers:

NcMuzyo.png

Back