The 3A Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm all about the ghetto photography. My setup is just some $10 halogen desk lamps.

Here's one of my AP Fightin' JC.
9214747103_3c248a1e21_b.jpg

dedguy, that style of photography is awesome and inspiring me to get on and take some more pics of some of my collection, I've done only 2 figures from my 3A bunch so far.

easyasonetwothree.png

IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

I love playing with different colour bulbs, and in a semi related question, does anybody have any of those LED colour changing bulbs with a remote? I might try 1 of them so I don't have to keep switching out boiling hot 60watt coloured bulbs!

I do. It was a cheapass one from meritline or dailysteals. I don't think it cost more than $10, and you pretty much get what'cha pay for. It works. None of the non-white colors are bright enough for daily use, but as a quick way to drastically change the color scheme of a photo, they are good!

I love playing with different colour bulbs, and in a semi related question, does anybody have any of those LED colour changing bulbs with a remote? I might try 1 of them so I don't have to keep switching out boiling hot 60watt coloured bulbs!

I just put colored cloth, paper, or plastic over lights. Or I use LEDs, Halogens, candle light, and incandescent for a variety of different white balances. The only thing I don't have is fluorescents which would be good for matrixy-like lighting (all of the Matrix was filmed with uncorrected fluorescents).

The last picture was taken with a candle, a halogen with yellow cloth draped over it, and an LED for the blue in the background.

Dedguy - Love your photos. I use your tutorials. They have helped me sooo much - Thanks!

Anyone - My 1/6 Caesar is a bit weak in the arms. He never was before but I took him down for a photo shoot and suddenly he can't hold his arms extended straight out front.

I'm kinda lost as to what happened. He was always extra tight and now flopsy wopsy.

Any ideas how to stiffen his shoulder up?
Thanks

Cc3680: Thanks, I really appreciate that. Glad I have been of some help.

On Caesar i it's the shoulder joints, you can add some talcum powder to the joints, that possibly may help.

talcum powder will only loosen up more. You need to use a drop of the runny superglue, and constantly keep moving the joint till it starts to stiffen. Do not stop moving the arm til it stiffens otherwise it will dry and be glued in place. You can also pop the joint out and spray clear dull coat over it and let it dry and put back together.

I had a bunch of figures in storage for a few months, and as soon as I took them out they had floppy ankles and badbot kept collapsing at the waist (all affected points were ball joints actually). Not sure how this happens, could it be temperature related? it doesn't seem permanent either, as they're fine now.

Yeah, I do think it's temperature related. At least for some cases. Was it warm in your storage, mortifactor?

I don't think talcum powder will work either. One tip I read that I've been meaning to try is to heat up the ball joint and pop it out, then put a small clipped out piece of a plastic bag in the cup. Heat up and reinsert the ball joint and see how that works out for you.

Thanks everyone for responding.
All good ideas.

In response to Mortifactor's experience. I thought temperature related too. It is summer here in Arizona and temps go high. He is inside and away from a window so you wouldn't think temp could be a factor but I am not dismissing the possibility. It did cross my mind. I actually think some of my HT figure were a bit loose in the ankle recently now that I think about it.

I'm scared to glue, but I have heard that before. What about hairspray???

I would try the plastic in the joint. Maybe what I will do is nothing right now and wait till things cool off. I can always work on him during the winter.

If anyone else has thoughts, I would love to here them.
~Thanks

Yeah, I do think it's temperature related. At least for some cases. Was it warm in your storage, mortifactor?

I don't think talcum powder will work either. One tip I read that I've been meaning to try is to heat up the ball joint and pop it out, then put a small clipped out piece of a plastic bag in the cup. Heat up and reinsert the ball joint and see how that works out for you.

Yeah it was noticeably warmer in the room I have the boxes in, just ambient temperature, no sunlight. I guess it is possible the ball sockets can expand.

The talcum power thing I have only tried once and it was on the guns for my Bertie MK3. It seemed to work. It's also entirely not dangerous to try since you can just wipe it off if it doesn't work.

With the ball-in-socket joint I think it works because it adds mass so it tightens the joint but also lubricates it so it still moves smoothly.

since we are on the topics of joints. My kyoku 1/6 has a right foot peg that keeps popping the shoe off. Any suggestion? it seemed like the ball joint just won't stay in the shoe. Should I reshape the shoe with heat?

Hmmm, are you saying that it wants to push out the balljoint as in you pop it in and it forcibly ejects the balljoint? Or is it loose and the balljoint doesn't really seat in the cup?

As long as you don't go overboard with the heat then it doesn't hurt to give it a try.

Back