The 3A Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am finding that the whole AK range of figures is really gaining greater favour with me.......good value and loads of character...

sure bots are very cool as well but the human figures are winning through :clap

Oh wow! That's an awesome deal, thanks for the heads up!

I'm so overwhelmed by the choices, I think - Too many things that I want, I can't decide what to go for first. I suppose there are worse problems to have though, right?

I've also come to accept that I'm overwhelmingly enamored with King Thumb. I just hope I have some chance to snag him when they start to ship or something!

i am finding that the whole AK range of figures is really gaining greater favour with me.......good value and loads of character...

sure bots are very cool as well but the human figures are winning through :clap

Uh yeh for sure. Especially since the jump to portable i really am starting to get into adventure kartel hardcore. I hope mini tommy mission or bleak are on their way soon. Need someone to bash some mini zombie heads in since i have like 10 on order. :rotfl

Got a wwrp Armstrong mod 7 today from my brother for my birthday.
Its awesome:yess: my first 3a figure and I love it. Even my brother looked and played with it a fair bit and figures aren't his thing.
I'll also order the Gravedigger HB with some birthday money after getting the Armstrong it makes me sure the bramble will be just as great.

Roll on feb/march for my other pre orders.

You should get a Bertie from the store while they're still there (if you haven't already). Would make a nice addition size-variation wise. Bertie is a lot bigger than Armstrong.

To give you some idea, here's a size comparison which includes Armstrong and Large Martin:

4302699621_87623b8984_o.jpg

and here's a comparison between Bertie and Large Martin. I would have posted some Bertie/Armstrong pics but I guess I don't have any.

Deep Powder Bertie MK3 by dangercorpse, on Flickr

The only down side is the ordering system. Now I don't mind the showing up at Bambaland on the day of a release, but the paying for a figure up front is kind of a pain. I know they make their orders from the manufacturer based on the number of figures they sell in that 24hr period, but Paypal months before the product ships (and in some cases a full year) is not a great way to do business. Yes it is convenient, but the simple fact that I have paid for something and it gets to me months after the 30 day charge-back period on my VISA is REALLY sketchy. Especially since they don't do refunds or cancellations...What if the product doesn't meet expectations and I decide I don't want it? What if I just spent $250.00US on a robot toy and my car breaks down and I need the cash? Hey we have all been there. Pre-order something and then you realize that, "Hey I don't need this because of _________."

Hey don't get me wrong. I love their stuff and their customer service (the one time I had a problem they went out of their way to fix it). I don't even really mind their ordering system, or should I say that I understand it and choose to spend my money with them anyway. I can see, however, where someone might be nervous. I can think of MANY much larger online retailers/manufacturers that I would never give my money to in a similar fashion. With me, however, I trust 3A. They haven't given me a reason not to...And it will be interesting to see if the level of detail in both their product and their customer service remains consistent as they grow larger...

I agree there. I especially don't like that we have to use Paypal. They are a flat out crooked service. Google it, you will see how hands-off they are, and how unfair they can be. I have had two Paypal accounts locked now because my cousin stayed with us once, and abused his account with the same address. Every time I start up an account, they lock it down after a few days, and tell me I can't open a new account until I settle up what his account owed. I'm not paying for his shenanigans. Not sure how I'm going to get another account started, or if I could trust it. I don't want to miss any AK drops, especially since I managed to get in on the ground floor of AK AP.
As was mentioned, one of the things I like best about 3A stuff is I do feel like I can really enjoy it. I don't feel like it's going to be damaged if it's out in the open, I guess the look of being "worn" makes it so much easier. (and it really enhances the figures! No one does wear like 3A.) With my HT figures, they get placed in a good pose and put away in a display case. They just aren't durable enough for any real fun. Way too many delicate rubber parts, paint ops, etc. They are more like museum pieces, not action figures. I have decided to cut back on my HT purchases in favor of 3A, because I'm not crazy about getting the figures that involve a lot of rubber, and/or a high price any more. I'm not going to stop getting HT, but my 8-12 figures a year will probably be more like 4-6 from now on. The prices help that choice a lot. You can get like 3 AK figures for the price of one HT. Lots more fun to be had! There's no way the HT figures with major rubber components are going to be in good condition in 10 years, and over 200 dollars is too much to pay for something that most likely won't last intact.
I'm also really grooving on AK- the other lines are nice looking, but AK hooks me. I think it's that "Johnny Quest/Scooby Doo Saturday Morning Adventure (gone emo)"/ GI Joe Adventure Team vibe. I love the jumpsuits. So 70's Adventure Team. I just know that had to be one of Ash's influences. I also think the box art is superior. HT has really raised the bar for elaborate packaging, but that stuff is so cumbersome it just ends up stacked in the closet. The 3A boxes just *want* to be kept out on display, enjoyed and looked at with their weird phrases and high design. It's a nice hybrid of modern design with an old school aesthetic- again, it harkens back to old GI Joe figure boxes, a simple tray and a lid. Just too cool. The figures sure do smell bad fresh out of the box though! (pretty funny) :rotfl
I got the Ankou + Zomb Twoway pack today, it is so f'n awesome. Love the orange and yellow Ankou (my 2 favorite colors) and good ol' "Andy", the Command Zomb. Made my day!
Now if I could just figure out a way to still shop on ebay... I desperately want a JC and a Bleak.

...another observation- has anyone noticed that 3A's bodies are essentially version 1 HT bodies? Same body, footpegs, version 1 fat wristpegs, etc. Wonder how that works? 3A's versions hold a pose better, but it may be due to paint ops on the bodies. Doesn't upset me, because it's an awesome poseable body, I just wonder how they were allowed to do that?
Also, you guys that have been around a while- do you think we will see a retailer version of Bleak and JC?

Last edited:
They're actually a different sculpt, not hugely different but there's some noticeable differences. The most obvious is the torso being very different but the arms are also a bit bulkier, in particular the forearms. The construction is near identical though.

The shoulders I had modded on the Yoji body but the rest is unchanged. It's definitely based on the HT body but I think was designed from scratch. It's the body ThreeZero used before ThreeA was around iirc.

Tomorrow King; Yoji nude comparison by dangercorpse, on Flickr

For anyone who is interested I'm going to be selling my 1/6 scale Cydonia & African Def Brambles. £120 each delivered if you live in the UK. I've decided I'm only going to collect the 1/12 scale bots from now on :)

Also, you guys that have been around a while- do you think we will see a retailer version of Bleak and JC?

It has been my experience that the individual characters usually show up again in a slightly tweaked way. As long as you aren't married to one particular colorway (God I hate that term) or version you can usually pick up another release of the same character. For me, I usually grab one of each release unless there is very little difference. For example most of the Tokyo Kings are too similar for me to bother tracking them all down, but the Heavy Tomorrow King was different enough to pick up. Likewise I picked my favorite of the Finger Gang (#10 btw) and grabbed him. Didn't see a need for all of them...Anyway, as of yet there is no announcement about a retail version of Bleak, but I wouldn't be surprised if he showed up again. The only figure that I know of that is in fact not going to show up again is the old De Plume. Ash said so himself. They are working on a replacement for the old version but as of Barguest De Plume he is officially retired...

Pictures of the replacement zombs that are shipping out are in the newest vox newsletter. Here is the picture if people havent seen them:

waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the first batch in my opinion.

Not sure if I'm that bothered about the two Bertie's they have up at the moment. Think I'll wait for the next release.
The gravedigger just grabs me, only issue is that i might get stung with customs charges now as I'll buy from eBay.

This thread seems to have exploded over the past week with new people coming in.

I agree with everyone here that 3A stuff is a lot more fun. Due to the stylistic designs, there's no nitpicking likenesses like with Hot Toys and Sideshow. It's not just about a face sculpt - it's about design and because they don't have to adhere to a property's likeness creativity can flow.

I've sold practically my entire 1:6 collection (only two Sideshow figures and one HT remain) because I dig 3A's stuff that much. But I'm kind of a minimalist, so it's not like there was that much to unload. Minimalist collector - contradiction of terms.

As far as a retail Bleak, Ash did mention at one point there may be another Bleak in a heavy parka, a "****-weather" version. But if you look around hard enough you can find one reasonably priced. I found mine for original cost plus shipping - my favorite AK figure so far.

As far as a retail Bleak, Ash did mention at one point there may be another Bleak in a heavy parka, a "****-weather" version. But if you look around hard enough you can find one reasonably priced. I found mine for original cost plus shipping - my favorite AK figure so far.

Yeah, but I bet that he won't come with Custard...

Yeah, but I bet that he won't come with Custard...

Very possible - didn't think about that ... not sure what Custard's future would be there. You've got to have Custard. A satanic dog that sounds like James Earl Jones when he speaks?

I just want a portable bleak with custard to happen. Pack him on the card like the original snake eyes and timber and you have perfection.

This would be perfect. Can't wait for the mains to make an AP appearance.

Also F-it Omnipuss is up on Bambaland for those interested.

This thread seems to have exploded over the past week with new people coming in.

IMHO that's probably due to a general positive vibe in 3A threads compare to the negative bull____ throwing around in ssc, ht, medi, enterbay, etc threads. Most posts are constructive and informative. very little personal attacks and non-sense. Which I think helps new member or long time lurkers to join in the discussion. :)

By the way i love how the thread has been more active. The kid robot forums are usually depressing and i dont really go on the official threea boards that often.

Back