The 3A Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys what's the score on the dead astronaught line? Have they been released yet? I want the white one I think.......

yeah they were released. preorder was awhile ago. can get orange version at online retailers still. if interested in white one PM me ;)

tumblr_n8d0ukDbYB1tu688to1_1280.jpg

I don't get it.

I've tried really hard to see what everyone likes about these, but there's some quality I must be missing out on. It's like jazz. I've tried so many times to listen to Coltrane and Davis over and over, but I simply don't see what people that love jazz see.

I own one 3A figure: Lolli XXXmas in 1/12th scale. She's cool. I like her design. And I like the carded figures that have art that looks like the old Kenner Star Wars figures. But some of this other stuff is just beyond me. Like boxes with faces painted on them. Or robots that are just a tube with arms and legs.

I am in no way bashing 3A fans or belittling their tastes. It's the opposite really...I understand that a LOT of people dig this stuff and it's so frustrating to me that I can't understand why!!

Also, where is the source material for all this stuff? Are the toys based on actual Ashley Wood sketches, or a team of toy makers? I imagine it's kinda like how McFarlane Toys started right?

Like I really like my Lolli figure...she's a Tomorrow Queen...they all have the same body/head/arms etc. Is there an Ashley Wood sketch this figure was based on? I'd love to see it.

Are most 3A fans just fans of the toys themselves, or do they like Ashley's art more?

Anyway...sorry for the dumb questions. I'm just really curious about these toys. I'd love to hear from some hardcore 3A collectors and tell me what you love about these figures!

World War Robot and Popbot by Ash are both published via IDW maybe if you read some of that you would appreciate the toys more? i know i do. there will be a Adventure kartel book released soon and with each figure there usually is a poster with a comic page about the character on the back.

i like Ashleys Art and i like his stories its why i collect the figures. i.e. some figures have less story, those i tend to stay away from due to not havign any context to enjoy them etc i.e. the lolli tq you have has no real story sans she is a tomorrow queen.(tomorrow kings aka TK's and TQ's are from Popbot)

you can find some info about the stories/worlds created by Ash that have figure lines here-
https://www.threeawiki.com/Main_Page

my fav is WWR. but a new line called Evenfall has me very interested as well, some great imagery and bits info on that has been slowly comin. Adventure Kartel is like Ashleys ver of action man or sumthin but with zombies, robots and team of adventurers led by fighting jc. is really silly at times in a good way.

I don't get it.

I've tried really hard to see what everyone likes about these, but there's some quality I must be missing out on. It's like jazz. I've tried so many times to listen to Coltrane and Davis over and over, but I simply don't see what people that love jazz see.

Same here, :) I find 3A stuff beautiful and high quality, yet, it doesn't have great appeal to me.

Given their experience I wish they put more effort towards more licensed products, I bought this year's membership in hope of something great but so far I have only seen weird robots and character's from a mythology I don't get :dunno

Awesome offerings like the Halo and Real Steel action figures that caught my eye last year have been pretty much absent this 2014, instead we got some Iron Man figures that can't compare to what hot toys has to offer.

The one original figure I wanted was a "secret drop" that appeared and disappeared randomly at their website, give me a break! As a customer I felt really upset about that weird behaviour on their part :(

When I first started collecting 1:6 scale figures I didn't like any of 3A's figures really. Popbot is what really got me interested in 3A toys and it wasn't the story that got me intrigued. I saw a review that a guy did for a Badbot and a Lady Sham figure. It was mainly the way he posed them and the great weathered paint detail on the Badbot that made me interested. Once I got it in hand, I was hooked. The design is simple but elegant, the paint and weathering is great and for the most part the quality to price ratio is perfect especially when buying from them via Bambaland.

I sold all my Joes, Hot Toys, still have some Star Wars figures but 3A is all over my house now. It started with Popbot, quickly grew into WWR and Adventure Kartel. The figures are quirky, well executed and are uniquely unlike the majority of stuff sold today. I'll be honest, I don't like everything they make (e.g. Adventure of Isobelle, Parade, 3AGO, AP line, most of the license products) and some of Ashley's designs I don't dig at all like with Marvel and Evenfall lines. I just buy what appeals to me, and try to stick to the lines I like most.

If there is one thing I don't like about 3A is the drama during preorder sale of the exclusive, super limited, emo figures. It obviously creates these scenarios that result in scalping and huge aftermarket prices on rarer/limited figures, but is done because of some innate satisfaction for web drama during a sale on their chat forum. Enough ranting on my part though, this is all my personal opinion.

3A clicked with me instantly, I saw the NOM commanders and immediately flip the internet upside down to see what I could find out about them, and so it started, WWR is my fav line but I do like everything else.

There's nothing "to get" either you like it or you don't, it's a very niche art style, from minimal to over-stylized, dirty, rusty and worn out... Because if you really can't see what people like in them, if you really just see tubes with arms sticking out of them, then maybe you just lack artistic sensibility :dunno

Also, why would you buy a membership of something you don't like or know anything about? :lol Seems cheaper to buy the figures you do want by themselves.

Also, why would you buy a membership of something you don't like or know anything about?

Well, as I said, I acquired the membership because of their Halo figures and other licensed properties I've seen them make (Like Real Steel), I have Emile and I'm currently waiting for Master Chief.

Sadly (IMHO) their talents are more visible in their licensed products, not bashing on 3A though, I can see why people like their original rusty and dirty figures, it just doesn't click with me so far and no, it's not because of lack of "artistic sensibility" (Strokes beard in a snobbish way and glares coldly before turning in a condescending manner.) :lol

I still look forward for more of their licensed offerings and if by any chance I happen to like an original creation by them I'll be happy to get it, it's of wise men to change one's opinion they say :)

I didn't mean the lack of artistic crap as an insult :lol if you can see what other people like the figures for, but you still dislike it, in that case you clearly don't lack artistic sensibility, you just don't like it, and that's all cool, but if you really don't/can't see why people like it, then you may lack artistic sensibility.

For instance, I don't like a variety of anime, but I can see why some people do.

Isn't it cheaper to buy the figures on their own still? I mean, what you pay for the membership, minus the discount you get for 3 maybe 4 licenced figures you can get in a year, don't you end up paying more? Or at least even?

Last edited:
I feel the same and did the same back in 2012, canceled my Sideshow and HT orders and went full into 3A. Kept my SW figs as well and have a mix of 3A, SW and customs all on display.
The original Dropcloth design (not so much 1.5) has become one of my favorite figures the company made. Although I only have one Caesar (still unopened), I think this design is fantastic as well.
When I first started collecting 1:6 scale figures I didn't like any of 3A's figures really. Popbot is what really got me interested in 3A toys and it wasn't the story that got me intrigued. I saw a review that a guy did for a Badbot and a Lady Sham figure. It was mainly the way he posed them and the great weathered paint detail on the Badbot that made me interested. Once I got it in hand, I was hooked. The design is simple but elegant, the paint and weathering is great and for the most part the quality to price ratio is perfect especially when buying from them via Bambaland.

I sold all my Joes, Hot Toys, still have some Star Wars figures but 3A is all over my house now. It started with Popbot, quickly grew into WWR and Adventure Kartel. The figures are quirky, well executed and are uniquely unlike the majority of stuff sold today. I'll be honest, I don't like everything they make (e.g. Adventure of Isobelle, Parade, 3AGO, AP line, most of the license products) and some of Ashley's designs I don't dig at all like with Marvel and Evenfall lines. I just buy what appeals to me, and try to stick to the lines I like most.

If there is one thing I don't like about 3A is the drama during preorder sale of the exclusive, super limited, emo figures. It obviously creates these scenarios that result in scalping and huge aftermarket prices on rarer/limited figures, but is done because of some innate satisfaction for web drama during a sale on their chat forum. Enough ranting on my part though, this is all my personal opinion.

I disagree with artistic sensibility comment. I have a big sense of art hence why I have a huge collection of art. But 3A mostly doesn't jive with me, and I think it;s the same for others otherwise a lot of the sold out prices would be higher IMHO. I think it's just different strokes for different folks. I sort of like some of the figures but not enough to spend the asking price.

The exception are some of their licensed products, which I have ordered. Then again I ordered the Lost Planet figure OVER A YEAR ago and I get no updates. So that turns me off from ordering more licensed figures through them. It's like things appear and disappear on their webshop too.

Back