Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3E5B5054-223E-4D2E-AD38-B688EE9BB586.jpegEF78569F-B636-45CD-B2D4-5A58C74431B3.jpeg28E6CBB9-C7FE-4291-9A34-314BAB54403C.jpeg

Nothing "toy-like" about him in those photos. GREAT pics, Enzo.

Interesting side note. I watched ANH last night on high-def Blue Ray... the old chestnut we've been told that "Rivets" was a prototype only used in the opening Tantive IV scene is not true. He may very well have been a "prototype", but "Rivets" appears in several other scenes throughout the movie too..

Nothing "toy-like" about him in those photos. GREAT pics, Enzo.

Interesting side note. I watched ANH last night on high-def Blue Ray... the old chestnut we've been told that "Rivets" was a prototype only used in the opening Tantive IV scene is not true. He may have been a "prototype", but "Rivets" appears in several other scenes too..

Thanks for the kind comment vader. It’s one of those pieces i cant stop messing with, open doors, close them, two legs no three legs. A lot of fun with this guy

I feel that! Sometimes when I'm working at night I keep it next to my computer and play with the sound effects; puts a big dumb smile on my face. I have to say, 3PO looks a little odd with the lights turned off. I'm sure there are mods to remedy that, but it's weird to see haha

I'll have to go back and rewatch some clips, but are R2's shoulder details back-to-front?

Yes and no. Depends on which R2 and what scene. This is supposed to be the remote controlled R2, not the Kenny Baker filled R2.

I don't know, that's what the Tamishi makers said. They added the Kenny Baker hoses for a bonus, but they said specifically that this was supposed to be the remote controlled prop. That one, which was often seen rolling, had this leg set up.....not that this info clears anything up. :)

Still a gorgeous. high quality model, rivets and slots or not. Your pics are great Rudimus.. wish I could make mine turn out as well. Definitely seem to do better in natural light and no flash, but still can't pull them off like yours. Do you use a tripod when shooting your scenes?

Still a gorgeous. high quality model, rivets and slots or not. Your pics are great Rudimus.. wish I could make mine turn out as well. Definitely seem to do better in natural light and no flash, but still can't pull them off like yours. Do you use a tripod when shooting your scenes?

Thanks vader619! Yes, got 2 tripods that I get some good use out of. A tabletop Joby gorillapod & a Manfrotto compact action, both are affordable & great for holding DSLRs. The best things about shooting toys is they're stationary, so the lighting can get adjusted through long exposure if needed.

Photoshopped? I’m gonna try gloss white enamel paint on the rivet holes eventually. Should be thick enough to fill.

I recently ordered the Tamashii R2 from Amazon and it arrived yesterday. After spending a little time with it, I naturally pulled up this thread for a little help with turning on the holo projector. (You really have to turn harder than I would have expected.) My only other complaint was the holo projector on top of his head comes off and needs to be glued back on. I found the comments here interesting reading and thought I would add my take on both the HT and Tamashii... I doubt any of my observations are unique.

Overall, I think both versions have their pros and cons. I don't think one is good and one is bad. I think it all boils down to preference. Having owned multiple full scale R2's, I think the criticisms appear to be carrying over to the 1/6 scale.

Hot Toys pros:
* Obviously the aluminum look to the dome
* R2 blue looks to be more accurate
* Nice weathering if you like your R2 dirty
* Broader variety in sounds
* Some will say dome shape is more accurate. I think this is personal preference.
* Fiber optic light color in front appears to be more accurate.

Hot Toys cons:
* Holo projector light comes on with the other lights and is very bright.
* Audio has a more tinny sound (not a big deal to me)
* No restraining bolt

Tamashii pros:
* R2 feels solid and gives the perception of durability
* Holoprojector light can be turned on separately
* Some will prefer the squeaky clean version
* Kenny Baker feet is a really nice add on not done before.
* Not sure this is a pro, but the dome finish has the look of fiberglass. Many movie R2 dome were made of fiberglass, so not necessarily a bad thing unless you want to see a painted spun metal finish. It's definitely an improvement over the sideshow R2 that looks like a flat gray finish in comparison.
* Overall I think this R2 "fits" better with the Tamashii C-3PO.

Tamashii cons:
* Some will put the rivets at the top of the list, but they don't really bother me. Neither do the small gaps to open the doors.
* Again, some may say the blue is not dead on or the dome shape isn't 100% right, but not a major issue for me.
* Dome finish will not satisfy fans that want a 100% metal look.
* I think what bothers me most is there really needs to be a film placed over the lights. One would have to open the dome as some have done on this forum.

Overall, I don't think you can go wrong with either. I think my preference is with Hot Toys, however, I like the Tamashii better when displayed next to the Tamashii C-3PO

Surprised there aren't more Tama 3PO pair-up pics with the Tama R2 and the HT R2. Would love to see more - maybe I missed it, but has anyone done the iconic Tantive IV corridor R2/3PO pair up using Joost's dio?

Back