Tamashii Movie Realization Star Wars

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bootlegs are gonna kill this line.
I'm sure they'll keep producing, most people are buying the originals. But understandably some people can't pay $70+ (or here in aus around $150 judging from online pricing) per figure, especially for army building. I think most people are going for the originals , but are using the bootlegs to supplement their collections

Bootlegs are gonna kill this line.

That and Bandai new issues speed. You got the biggest franchise in the world, a great artist and mega idea about fudal japan transplant and you do what? Issue repaints. I mean black pauldron sand trooper? Akazonae has 85% same parts as stormtrooper, but its, wait for it, its red!

It's the same with every other line from Bandai. They produce the figures as exclusives, and usually overpriced, and as soon as the quantities are gone, the bootleggers step in and flood the market with the bootlegs so everyone can army build or get the ones they missed for cheaper (and usually lesser quality, not always though).. If anything kills this line, it's the stupid policy from Bandai they use for EVERY other figure. It's what happens to Dragonball Figuarts, it's what happens to Saint Seiya Myth Cloth line, and it's happening here too. I'm not worried about it.

It's the same with every other line from Bandai. They produce the figures as exclusives, and usually overpriced, and as soon as the quantities are gone, the bootleggers step in and flood the market with the bootlegs so everyone can army build or get the ones they missed for cheaper (and usually lesser quality, not always though).. If anything kills this line, it's the stupid policy from Bandai they use for EVERY other figure. It's what happens to Dragonball Figuarts, it's what happens to Saint Seiya Myth Cloth line, and it's happening here too. I'm not worried about it.

Yup. I am considering stopping this line.

Yup. I am considering stopping this line.

Oh don't get me wrong, I -love- this line, it's right up my alley. But I'm not going to stop buying the bootlegs (to supplement the official figures I already paid the hefty price for) so I can have an alternative, cheaper way to customize figures and/or army build a little. I understand the reasoning behind not supporting bootleggers to support companies, but Bandai makes basically 80% of the figures from 90% of the lines in this day and age, so I'm not worried about them. What I do NOT support is their stupid-butt policy to make every other figure a limited quantity web exclusive just so it gets a premium price without any good reason, and then their complete refusal to re-issue figures that are in high demand (thus allowing scalpers to make ANOTHER premium on top of the already steep cost of these figures).

TL;DR : Bootlegs woo!

No official annoucement from Tamashii just yet. Archer is coming in march so anything past that could be announced anyday now for a late spring/early summer release.

just got bootleg akazonae.
No sense in photographing it, as it is good mold taken from original. Main beef with bootleg is in quality and coloring.
Quality is exactly as price - low. There are 3 kinds of plastic - soft one (skirt, thin parts of armor), hard and glossy one (chest) and hard dull one (joints). Soft is too soft, almost gooey to touch. Glossy is too glossy in comparison to original. Dull one is britle even by bootleg standard.
Sheath is too small for the sword. Sword hilt of the original has nice color detailing, bootleg has only one color.
Weathering (darkening of indentetions) is almost non existent and then you get a black blob on both recess and exposed parts. Original has wonderfull fine black weathering. Here - nothing or blobs.
As this figure is mostly repaint of stormie, the worst thing is the red repaint of black parts (textile parts like pants). Badly done. Red is applied thin and black underpaint is too much visible.
The mace/baton is a very good replica of original figure.
Joints are too loose in sense that parts joined both fall off (wrist particularly) and move on the weight of parts alone. Basically elbow must be straight. If it is bent, the weight of the arm straightens it on its own.
Robes are actually quite well made. You even can use them as spare parts for the original. Texture is the same as original, but color is a bit off (lighter). Not much.

All in all, the worst of all the bootlegs i have. Stormies you can put side by side and if you do not inspect in detail you can not distinguish fake and original. Boba is more noticable, but also good paint job. Akazonae is by far the worst. Low quality plastic and bad paintjob. I will customize the hell out of it and it will no longer be SW samurai, just samurai figure. If i find thecright size head :)

I got stuck with the first two releases (Vader and a few Stormies), if this line were more affordable (-$20) I would have bought all of them :dunno

just got bootleg akazonae.
No sense in photographing it, as it is good mold taken from original. Main beef with bootleg is in quality and coloring.
Quality is exactly as price - low. There are 3 kinds of plastic - soft one (skirt, thin parts of armor), hard and glossy one (chest) and hard dull one (joints). Soft is too soft, almost gooey to touch. Glossy is too glossy in comparison to original. Dull one is britle even by bootleg standard.
Sheath is too small for the sword. Sword hilt of the original has nice color detailing, bootleg has only one color.
Weathering (darkening of indentetions) is almost non existent and then you get a black blob on both recess and exposed parts. Original has wonderfull fine black weathering. Here - nothing or blobs.
As this figure is mostly repaint of stormie, the worst thing is the red repaint of black parts (textile parts like pants). Badly done. Red is applied thin and black underpaint is too much visible.
The mace/baton is a very good replica of original figure.
Joints are too loose in sense that parts joined both fall off (wrist particularly) and move on the weight of parts alone. Basically elbow must be straight. If it is bent, the weight of the arm straightens it on its own.
Robes are actually quite well made. You even can use them as spare parts for the original. Texture is the same as original, but color is a bit off (lighter). Not much.

All in all, the worst of all the bootlegs i have. Stormies you can put side by side and if you do not inspect in detail you can not distinguish fake and original. Boba is more noticable, but also good paint job. Akazonae is by far the worst. Low quality plastic and bad paintjob. I will customize the hell out of it and it will no longer be SW samurai, just samurai figure. If i find thecright size head :)

Reading your review made me open my own Akazonae bootleg I'd received a few days ago but hadn't found the time for. Yep, it's definitely a piece of crap. The color is fine, but the leg fell off right out of the box, the joints almost all swivel freely, and the quality isn't quite up there on the paint. So that motivated me to do a better job at it and customize the crap out of it (literally). I'm now working on an Emperor's Shadow Guard, and will let you know when it's finished (probably over the weekend) with some pictures. :)

Reading your review made me open my own Akazonae bootleg I'd received a few days ago but hadn't found the time for. Yep, it's definitely a piece of crap. The color is fine, but the leg fell off right out of the box, the joints almost all swivel freely, and the quality isn't quite up there on the paint. So that motivated me to do a better job at it and customize the crap out of it (literally). I'm now working on an Emperor's Shadow Guard, and will let you know when it's finished (probably over the weekend) with some pictures. :)
Can you let us know how you fixed the loose joints? Having issues with them on a bootleg gurlukovich soldier...

Can you let us know how you fixed the loose joints? Having issues with them on a bootleg gurlukovich soldier...

The method I use is to squeeze a drop of glue into the joints and then wait a few seconds, then move it a little, then wait some more, move it back a little.. if done properly, it should make the joint a bit tighter. If it's still loose, repeat the process until you're happy. And if you overdo it, well you got a statue :D

Here's my customized Akazonae bootleg, ready to join his friends.

For the reference, I wanted to turn him into an Emperor's Shadow Guard :

EmperorsShadowGuard.jpg

And this is what my terrible phone took for pictures of the result :

uUtS2Ep.jpg
TJ3MC6i.jpg

Overall extremely easy, much less work than the customized Death Trooper I previously did. Mostly painted glossy black, colored the visor red, painted the pike silver, and split the end to insert a Darth Vader bootleg saber blade, then just had to work on a pose. I didn't use the cloak as I felt it took away from the martial arts pose, but I might paint it black later and have it on display with it, not sure yet.

Let me know if you folks like it! :)

Nice black finish, but I would do something to disrupt the uniform black. Look at Vader figure for inspiration. It has different colors of details (purple lacing of armor), some lighter accents for 'dirt' etc.

The method I use is to squeeze a drop of glue into the joints and then wait a few seconds, then move it a little, then wait some more, move it back a little.. if done properly, it should make the joint a bit tighter. If it's still loose, repeat the process until you're happy. And if you overdo it, well you got a statue :D

View attachment 311043

uUtS2Ep.jpg
TJ3MC6i.jpg

Overall extremely easy, much less work than the customized Death Trooper I previously did. Mostly painted glossy black, colored the visor red, painted the pike silver, and split the end to insert a Darth Vader bootleg saber blade, then just had to work on a pose. I didn't use the cloak as I felt it took away from the martial arts pose, but I might paint it black later and have it on display with it, not sure yet.

Does that trick work of the joint won't stay on? For e.g. that hip joint barely clips on, and when you move it it sort of falls out of the ball.

Really nice work though, was the figure itself good? Also if you maybe added a matte finish to some of the cloth areas it would add some tonal variation. Matte makes most figures look higher quality too, because it gets rid of the plasticy look over the whole figure, so that the bits you leave gloss look intentional

Thanks for the comments! Well, in this case the glossy look IS intentional on the armor parts since it looks just like the Shadow Guard I wanted to make, but I agree that it could look better with a matte finish on the cloth areas (what little of them there are) and maybe a dull gray on the shin guards and wrist guards. I'll work on that and get back to you.

As for your question, well I'm not sure about the hip joint for your figure because mine didn't have that issue at all, but mine had a broken leg that wouldn't stick in its place and would keep falling off, so I glued it in. You can still move the joints below the thigh, but the leg itself is glued into the figure so it restricts the poses a little bit. That's the price to pay for getting a cheap bootleg though, but there's no way I'm going to customize figures that cost 90 bucks to this extent otherwise. So bootlegs it is for those customs!

can anyone with both vers of vader tell which they prefer and why? havin trouble choosing. dig the skeletal details on death star ver but kinda find that huge death star symbol on helmet top abit of over kill, perfect ver would be the death star with previous vers empire crest but cant(shouldnt) swing both so have to choose. would appreciate advice via those that have both inhand, thks!

View attachment 311043

uUtS2Ep.jpg
TJ3MC6i.jpg

May I recommend an app called picsart.
It's free and you can adjust and fine tune pictures.
You could improve your pics easily

Back