Taking care of displayed figures and getting rid of dust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drclehmann

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hi, I've not been able to find the answer in the forum but maybe I did not look in the right place. I display a few select LOTR statues in my medical surgery office, on a high shelf, away from prying hands... No direct sunlight but over months, sometimes years, dust accumulates. What is the best way to get rid of it? I've used the cans of duster that are used for keyboards etc... and that works but it's rather expensive and I guess different methods might be used on characters, clothing (Premium sideshow statues for example) and bases... Thank you for giving me advice or pointing me in the right direction.

Time consuming, and possibly not the best solution for fabrics, but cheap and easy:

518994980_o.gif

I use an anti-static brush and I try my best to keep the figures from unwashed hands and sunlight. I don't keep figures boxed as I find them to actually increases the rate of deterioration, thus I keep them in display cases with some ventilation.

I'd say since you're having statues displayed out in the open. just get an anti static brush.

Most of my collection is boxed for the time being, some have just been checked and closed again ( because my collection is quite large). I'm intrigued by your advice on boxed figures. If they are stored in a dry environment without too much variation in temperature, do you think deterioration can occur? I'm intrigued (alarmed, rather...) Thanks for your input. Antistatic brushes, point taken.

I use one of the air duster spray cans made for electronics. Gets in all the crevasses and gets fabric too (most of the time).

I still use a duster every few months when I do a proper cleaning, though...gives a chance to do some reposing/reconfiguring as well.

Most of my collection is boxed for the time being, some have just been checked and closed again ( because my collection is quite large). I'm intrigued by your advice on boxed figures. If they are stored in a dry environment without too much variation in temperature, do you think deterioration can occur? I'm intrigued (alarmed, rather...) Thanks for your input. Antistatic brushes, point taken.

I've heard that some of the Hot Toys deterioration issues can be accelerated in the box...the Iron Man panty fade, the rubber arms deterioration, etc.

If your figures are all plastic and fabric - and you keep the little silica packets in there - I don't think you have much to worry about.

I prefer these over that duster combo. You should be able to find one in your hospital.

567082225_907.jpg

Thanks. Most are polystone statues. I've unboxed the plastic figures. thanks

I've heard that some of the Hot Toys deterioration issues can be accelerated in the box...the Iron Man panty fade, the rubber arms deterioration, etc.

If your figures are all plastic and fabric - and you keep the little silica packets in there - I don't think you have much to worry about.

I'm now using Cheddar balls since the manufacturer claims they can last longer & has natural mold/insect repellent and you can sand the surface up to refresh it.

I bought a can of compressed air and found it next to useless, yet it seems to be commonly recommended. I must have been using it wrong.

Giotto's rocket air blowers for cameras:

Giottos-Rocket-Air-Blower.jpg

Powder brush:

powderbr.jpg

And if those don't work: ;)

bosch.jpg

Last edited:
I'm now using Cheddar balls since the manufacturer claims they can last longer & has natural mold/insect repellent and you can sand the surface up to refresh it.

I think you meant cedar balls ;)

Cedarballs_600-vert.jpg

I bought a can of compressed air and found it next to useless, yet it seems to be commonly recommended. I must have been using it wrong.

If used improperly you can get the tip/nozzle ice frozen and thus very cold air will blow all over your figures. A rocket air blower, like the one from Giottos is much better. Plus you need no new compressed air tube once the gas is over.

If you're storing statues and with the conditions you mentioned, I don't think you have anything to worry about. It's the mixed media or 1/6 figures that deteriorates more easily. It's funny for me since many moons ago, I stored some figures in their boxes, took them out about 2 years after and the bodies were stained by the clothes, joints become brittle, stretchy fabric flaked and in the case of vinyl, they seep into the plastic tray. It was a nightmare!

Since then, I've been keeping figures displayed either out in the open or in cases and NONE of them had any deterioration whatsoever. I have no idea of the science behind it but if I were to guess, the ventilation keeps the figures from deteriorating.

I think you meant cedar balls ;)

View attachment 186549

If used improperly you can get the tip/nozzle ice frozen and thus very cold air will blow all over your figures. A rocket air blower, like the one from Giottos is much better. Plus you need no new compressed air tube once the gas is over.

I prefer Cheddar Balls.

BTW do different Balls smell differently? I bought a branded 20 pc from Hardware shop which cost $5, it has a distinct scent, then i bought a 50pc from ebay China for $2, they smell like baby powder. i wonder if they are as effective as the "branded" ones.

I agree, I use the rocket but blowing dust off does not remove the fine layer of dust, just the top layer. Dust has oil and is sticky, needs to be brushed off.

I wonder if the "dangers" of letting dust accumulate is exaggerated. Does anyone have any first hand accounts of dust ruining a statue? I would think it would take years of neglect for it to make noticeable color fade but maybe Im wrong :huh

Back