Supernatural commission thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both, gentlemen look great. As for the Dean jacket I found that the saturday toys prison break version fit the bill. I believe WST did a brown dry brush on his and it is perfect. I also want Bobby as he is just plain cool. We will have to start pushing these soon.

Sweeney, thanks for the kind words. This whole painting thing has been uber helpful in me rehabbing after brain surgery (seriously). Takes me a while to paint em up cuz I get bouts of tremors in my right hand/arm. Here's a list of what I used:

Sammy
jacket - One Sixth Depot reversable
Shirt - eBay lucky find
jeans Hot Toys gunner eBay also
boots - New Line Miniatures 40's adventurer
silver watch
Body - Dragon (tall version)

Dean
Saturday Toys jacket (distressed with shades of brown & minimal use of a fune grade sandpaper)
shirt - plain generic black
shirt - US military unknown, removed sleeves to fit better into jacket
jeans - Saturday Toys
boots - New Line Miniatures
necklace pendant came from a Cy-girl Mystere weapon
Black watch which looks like the MTM he wears (I have a couple LOVE em)
bracelet on right wrist which looks like the elephant hair one he wears with two knots (rep. the connection between Heaven & earth)

both have socks, Dean's shotgun is a 21's century Toys & the handgun is a Twilight Magic Works, Sammy's gun is a shotgun from Buffy's Spike, his palm treo is from eBay as well. The pc was from Cotswald (Love their help-insanely helpful)

Will have to post all the misc gear not pictured:
olive drab gear bag filled with:
-stakes
-Bible
-car keys (ooh yeah)
-flashlights large & smaller one which Sammy has used
-shot gun shells
-fake ID
-misc knives & one like Ruby's
-gloves (don't wanna leave prints now)
-extra clips
-hand made EMF to look like a bodged up walkman
-video camera
-GPS
-and finally THE Colt with pentagram on the handle

Just a suggestion, but I used a Hot Toys body for Dean cuz it seemed a little stalkier while the Dragon is a little more slim.

Painted Sammy with a slightly more goldier base coat while Dean was a little more pale with a slight rosier tint. My 13 yr old niece was the one that pointed out the tones AFTER i painted them. I went back & repainted Sammy 3 times in total to get it right. She also has bee doing builds & hope to post some of her stuff. Occasionally have to get her to help with some detail because of my shakes. A solitary hobby has become a shared experience. Her 5yr old sis is currently completing a build of herself in anime style.

If there are any question feel free to pm me & I'll try to help in any way I can. Sometimes may take a little while to get back because I own/operaty by own optical boutique store.

Thanks again Sweeney, please keep up the great work & please keep posting more shots

Thanks for both the compliments, Dwing,
and for the Jacket info! :D
I really like the way the jackets look, especially
with the weathering and hopefully my Dean will
have one similar someday. ;)

knucklefunger, you deserved the kind words
and more! When I clicked your photo link I
literally thought, "Holy Cow!!! These look
exactly like Jensen & Jared!"

It's hard for me to believe the figures I have
are made with the same headsculpts!
You did a beyond awesome job!:)

Why did you have brain surgery, if you don't
mind me asking? I hope you're feeling better
and never have any more problems. I can believe
the tremors make it harder to paint the figures,
but seriously, if you get this quality WITH tremors...
can you only imagine what they'd look like without?

Dude, they'd talk and walk around!!! :D

Your list of accessories is INCREDIBLE!!!

You and your niece obviously pay a lot of
attention to detail and I like that in people.
I'm going to use your list as a checklist of things
to improve my own figures. (if you don't mind, that is.)

I can't wait to see more of your Supernatural customs!

Any plans to make the Metallicar? (Dean's Impala, but
I know you already know what I'm talking about. ;)
If anyone can do it, it's you! :D

Here's a list of what I used, but it was strictly limited
to what I had in my 1/6 accessory bin box.

Sam
Jacket - Frank Black's from Sideshow X-Files
Shirt - Hoodie from Dragon Freedom Force Jones
Jeans - MyScene Barbie boy pants
Shoes - Sneakers from Dragon Freedom Force Jones (w/Black socks)
Body - Sideshow Buck
Crossbow from Sideshow Buffy

Dean
Jacket - Master's from Buffy Sideshow's line
T-shirt - White Harley Davidson muscle shirt from Harley Ken (Barbie) doll
Shirt - Bluejean longsleeved shirt from Harley Ken (I used clothes from 2
different Harley Ken's and I'm not sure which pieces came from what. ;)
jeans - Harley Ken (again)
boots - Sideshow (I think, I can't remember what
they were with originally.)
necklace pendant - Just a Gold link on a string. :p
Gun - Frank Black Sideshow
Knife - Cheap looking 12" knife from some "Big Lots" Army figure
I found a wicked looking 1/6 knife on Ebay that I wanted to use,
but never could win it.

I still need to fix their bases, to cover up the "T2" and "X-Files"
logos. I wanted to cover it with fake grass and "salt" around them
in rings. ;)

I look forward to more photos and to everyone
who posts here, keep the customs coming!!!

Sweeney
Thanks for the kind words. Don't mind people asking about the surgery at all. There are two places a golf ball doesn't belong: in the rough & in my head. As it turns out it was a cyst not a tumor on the brain stem. Ended up having 1 procedure than an emergency procedure to install a shunt. Had 3 neurosurgeon working on me at one time, talk about attention. Everything is great now. Yeah there's few scars but so what. I get to live. Have learned to be patient & to value time a lot more.

Deep Purple Highway Star just came on the radio- appropriate

Anyway, here the link again, added the gear this time
https://s473.photobucket.com/albums/rr95/knucklefunger/

A friend is looking at doing the Impala (Metallicar - LOVE IT)

Painted Sammy 3 times & Dean twice. Worst part of companion pieces is that alone they look fine but together they can often look somehow wrong. Will have to keep this in mind when doing the Bobby & John. Also ran into the same situation with two Trek heads I was doing for a collector in NY

LOVE the idea of doing the bases with salt, was planning on doing Bobby's with a protective circle in chalk, with him holding a spell book.

Your stuff looks brilliant! Never criticise, just look at it objectively, even if it means waiting a couple days & going back a & looking at it with a fresh set of eyes. Never thought Barbie stuff would fit. Gonna raid the nieces toy boxes. Your scale looks significantly better than mine. Your Sammy is clearly taller than Dean. Keep up the fantastic work. Shows a lot of thought went into translaiting the personality types through the choice of clothing. Nice

Love the gear. Never thought of doing the ids. Have the same bag and gun-they work great.

Had to do the gear. Kinda get a little retentive about custom builds. Really want to do the Ghostfacers at some point. Auret was cool enough to point out that I have the incorrect colt. I'm lost when it comes to firearms. I'm Canadian (Canucklehead), what can I tell ya.

Plan on doing John's journal sometime as well for the bros

Wow, all your stuff is great, guys! I love seeing what everyone has been able to do with their Supernatural heads! Nice Job, Sweeney!

Alright, Knucklefunger, you're my hero! I finally get to see your work!!!!! AMAZING, dude! I absolutely LOVE your attention to detail, bro, and you put mine to shame. Execellent stuff- detail, excellent paint jobs! Love those ID's too! Sweet stuff!

I really love your painting. Is it all straight paint work, or do you mix pastels in too? I have a long and torturous relationship with learning how to paint, so tips are appreciated!
-Rick :)

William Shatner's Toupe
Thank you very much, I appreciate it. Your stuff is fantastic! Love the Kolchak (photos no less-now that's attention to detail)

I always research every build prior to mixing the paint. Hell my 13 yr old niece was kind enough to critique my original Sammy (1 of three attempts, you've seen the final version) with respect to the base skin tone. She was the one that pointed out Sammy's slightly goldier tone with the rosy cheeks & nose, where as Dean is a little more pale & slightly more pink overall, with the slight redness around the eyes. All I do is break it down to color as opposed to complete subject, just look at it as a collection of colors & where.

Nearly everything I did was airbrushed, prior to the brain surgery in June. The tremors I now get in the dominant hand disallow me to do the detail work with the airbrush any more, so the Wichester were done with airbrush base coats then followed up with chalk pastels.

I hate to say it but one of the most overlooked parts of a build is the hair. I figured why the hell don't I try to chalk up the hair, why is it just the skin tones? I mean, looking at my builds, the skin tones were fine but the hair just didn't seem right. So, gave it a shot on Simon Pegg from Shaun of the Dead & it turned out better than I thought.

Also, purely by accident, it seemed like th common practice with chalk pastels is apply, clear coat, apply next color, clear coat repeat. So,.. on a custom I was doing for a collector I had 2 days to complete the build & had 2 identical heads, so decided to give this a shot: base coat, clear coat then begin first layer of chalk. Instead of clear coating, proceed to one shade darker in the chalk, follow up by the rosy tones on the chin, adams apple, around the nostrils & then the ears as well as a little under the eye.

What really works beautifully on a vinyl head is to wash, clear coat then begin the chalk pastel process. Don't strip the head, sometimes it will discolor. At least it has for me. Which reminds me, it would turn out amazing if Chris were able to cast the heads in a flesh colored soft resin or vinyl ala Hot Toys or Medicom

I'll do up a full tutorial, where on the site would you suggest I post it?

Thanks
Will do. Going to be starting a pile of new projects so I may as well document the work. Don't really think I have any real knowledge to impart, but is someone learns something I cool with it. Just need to complete Ichi & Kakihara from Ichi the Killer as well as Kolchak & Connery Bond (of course).

Completely open for any suggestions & comments as well, always an ongoing learning project. Will begin soon.

Thanks Viper

I'd be interested, and in some of the monsters too, if you are planning on it.

Is this a thread for who'd be interested in buying such figures by the way?

I'm a confused noob, go easy on me :p

Zombiefanatic, love the idea. The scarecrow & Wendigo would be at the top of my list. Oh damn, the Doctor that was harvesting body parts would be a nice challenge to paint

WST, PLEASE start a Sam and Dean V2! Chris would kill a season 3 version of the Winchester brothers, and he is starting wave two soon. I'd be in for two each.

Actually, I would love it the heads would fit on the Toy Soldier body. I think the neck would look a little more realistic with the type of clothing the guys wear as opposed to say a Hot Toys body. Just a suggestion, could always be modded to fit

WST, PLEASE start a Sam and Dean V2! Chris would kill a season 3 version of the Winchester brothers, and he is starting wave two soon. I'd be in for two each.

Our brother-in-arms, Morbach, tells me there is good news on that front (having Chris do Supernatural heads for us), but Chris wants to be caught up with most of his other head commissions before starting any new lists, so look for it to happen a bit later on in the year. :D Morbach will be running this one, so start sending the donuts to bribe him for characters you want now. :)

-Rick :)

Back