Superman II General Zod sixth scale action figure review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is one more from the begining.

z6.jpg

So what's more accurate in a figure - the actual color or percieved color on film? I think the Zod figure would have looked better in all black.

High-end tuxedos meant to be worn in artifical light are often midnight (dark navy) instead of black because of colour effects. What is important is the perception that the material is pure black, rather than it actually being black.

I received my General Zod and while I really do like the figure, the red trim and boots was bothering me. (Don't bother telling me that it was really red in the movie - I have seen the screenshots and heard the arguements for and against.) In my eyes, General Zod needed a fix!

I took a sharpie marker and colored along the white edge of the trim to make it black. I then colored over the trim itself with the black marker (I would recommend using a blunt tipped marker for maximum coverage) and the results were incredible!

The trim and boots still have that iridescent shiny look from the movies, but now it is more of a reddish black instead of just red. And once the marker dries, it is permanent (but I am being safe and not setting him next to Jor-el and his all white suit.) It really made a difference and looks MUCH more screen accurate. I wish I could show you a picture, but I don't have a digital camera at the moment.

hey guys

you know with some modification the figure can look really good

BEFORE

NOW

now he look great

Last edited:
Brilliant job. I'd had the feeling that a black sharpie would do the trick. Might just have to get one. By the way, the above still is the only one I've seen where the red shows on Ursa's costume; said scene was a Lester shoot...PS

Nice job Lord-22! Your custom looks excellent. The only problem I notice is that the Nazi boots don't look tall enough. Some taller Napoleonic era boots might look just right.

awesome repaint and rework on the figure. i don't know why they gave him that brilliant red boots for in the first place. :p

Watched the movie yesterday on satelite. The outfits are like those cars that have custom paint jobs that have two colors. When you look at it from a certain angle you get one color and from another angle you get the other color. The suit on the doll doesn't hang as naturally as in the film. The head needs better paint apps. Zod was paler, greyer on the sides, and more red around the eyes.

I ordered one. I was just happy to finally have a Terence Stamp version of General Zod. I thought the head sculpt was an awesome likeness of the actor considering it was done by Mattel. Has there ever even been any other figures of General Zod made?

i don't remember all this red in the movie

just look at this vid there is no f""ing red in the outfit.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/tB6rBFTQ9zc&hl=fr_FR&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/tB6rBFTQ9zc&hl=fr_FR&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

oh i find a toys review by the way.
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/LrerxozmZFw&hl=fr_FR&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/LrerxozmZFw&hl=fr_FR&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Last edited:
i don't remember all this red in the movie

just look at this vid there is no f""ing red in the outfit.

Wrong. It's there. You can even see reflections of it in the vid. I just watched this on bluray and you can see the red so much better in HD.

the fact is, the trim material that was used is an odd one that is gloss black transparent with a metallic red that shows through underneath. It can only really be seen when strong lighting hits it. Other stunt costumes made for different scenes in the movie are just gloss black.

I think the "multiple costumes" theory explains a lot. This site shows the picture from the eBay auction earlier this year that I think was linked earlier in this thread. To me this indicates the filmmakers wanted it to look mostly black on film, not red. The black costumes were probably created because the lighting in certain scenes would have brought out the subtle red tint in the costumes too much. Here we see a pair of the boots looking quite red but the costume looks completely black in the same photograph. And there is this text...

https://mydisguises.com/2010/01/28/want-general-zods-costume-from-superman-2/

Complete with full black long sleeve suit

The famous “knee high” General Zod flying boots which have a very subtle and unique pearlescent, metal flake type Burgandy tint which shows up when light refracts off of the boots when lit up from certain angles. These particular boots are the most desirable by far because of this tint and the fact that this pair zips up in the back as intended instead of the less desirable front zippers which were designed to make the boots look seamless in the back in certain flying shots.

general-zod-costume-for-sale.jpg

Back