Superman 75th Anniversary Animated Short

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brandon Routh catches a lot of crap, wholly undeserved.

Debate all day about Superman Returns as a story or not enough action, etc... But Routh did EXACTLY what he was supposed to do - channel Christopher Reeve's performance, and he was very good at that.

Yeah, it goes without saying really, doesn't it. :wink1:

There's always going to be those who thought SR was plain awful though - & to those I say:

59915-Dog-slap-smack-gif-NRiZ.gif

:lecture

I thought he did a phenomenal job. When he first talks to Lois on the plane I got chills, and when he shows up as Clark, I was wholly convinced. The script is what killed the movie, essentially adding a son and rehashing the story from the first film.

Oh, I did, too, but, sadly, that's one of the things that happens when you're playing a version of a character made famous by someone else in a film which really didn't make much of an impact at all; you get swept under the rug. I'm of the opinion that Returns, as a whole, was a good film; it just wasn't a good Superman film, kind of like Ang Lee's Hulk.

Suffice it to say, I really do believe that it just failed to make an impact. I don't think anyone truly hates the film; I just think that there are a lot of people out there who just don't care about it. ****, look at Batman & Robin. There's a movie that made an impact; it made a big ****ing crater the size of Texas that WB spent the better part of a decade trying to dig themselves out of.:lol

I, too, liked Brandon Routh. It's just a shame that all he got to do was be the Hollywood equivalent of a State Fair Elvis impersonator. That's on Bryan Singer, not Routh, though. At the end of the day, as you guys said, it was Routh's job to play Christopher Reeve's Superman, not Superman, but, at the end of the day, the only person who I could see as Christopher Reeve's Superman is Christopher Reeve, and therein lies what I believe to be the reason for Routh's bad rap.

There's a pic of one convention, I don't know which one, where Routh's table is DESERTED and he's just sitting there all awkward, it's so sad, dude should get more praise, if it was me I'd be all over his table making him sign **** for me and telling him what a great job he did :lol

There's a pic of one convention, I don't know which one, where Routh's table is DESERTED and he's just sitting there all awkward, it's so sad, dude should get more praise, if it was me I'd be all over his table making him sign **** for me and telling him what a great job he did :lol

The Day Superman Cried.

Was that it?

Lack of context.

Poorly promoted convention? It doesn't look like anyone really showed for the other 'celebs' either.

This might also be what the room looked like before they opened the doors.

Routh did an autograph session at a local comic book store for Free Comic Book day a few years ago, great turnout.

Superman Returns was an ok movie for me in my book. Not great, Singer made some bad choices that showed he knew nothing about the characters. Lois would never forget Superman. In her eyes he stands above every other man out there. Bosworth was a terrible choice for Lois too. Singer should of left the Reeve Superman alone.

Bosworth was a terrible choice for Lois too.
Yep.

It should've been the other way around - Bozoworth should've been Luthor's disposable bimbo, & PARKER POSEY should most definitely have been Lois - she would've nailed it.

Synger should be held to account for that monumental **** up alone. :exactly:

I couldn't help but think that in the film, as well ("Damn, Parker Posey would've made a great Lois Lane").

Back