Stryker2011's: JABBA THRONE ROOM CUSTOM DIORAMA (Cabinet build in progress))

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Stryker2011's: JABBA THRONE ROOM CUSTOM DIORAMA (WIP)

Hi all. It?s been awhile since I posted updates, and sadly I don?t have anything yet. However, I?ve been struggling with a lighting issue ? so the wife suggested I crowd source for a solution. Anyway, my concern is with all the highly directional light sources in this environment, and once I back light the photographic backdrop that blackpool has been working on, that Jabba, et al, will become a large mass of dark shapes. Any suggestions for possible subdued lighting that won?t detract from the existing spots, but will help pull the figures out of the shadows?

A diffused light from the front would balance that rear lighting or if you want to get technical, key light(s) depending on how many subjects you want to bring more attention to, which would be a lot of individual lights.

I would think one overall lighting setup coming from the top - down. Possibly 40-45 degree angle (depending on how far back you want lit without hitting the backdrop) towards the dais would light everything pretty well... like a subtle skylight.

A diffused light from the front would balance that rear lighting or if you want to get technical, key light(s) depending on how many subjects you want to bring more attention to, which would be a lot of individual lights.

I would think one overall lighting setup coming from the top - down. Possibly 40-45 degree angle (depending on how far back you want lit without hitting the backdrop) towards the dais would light everything pretty well... like a subtle skylight.

Thanks for the tip. I was thinking something similar with a small strip light facing toward the front of the throne, attached to the ceiling and hidden behind a blacked out bar. I think it would have to be dimmable to prevent it from getting too overpowering...

Okay this is going to sound like a weird one but, see about getting your hands on a broken/nonfunctional flat screen TV or monitor. I just watched a youtube thing about how to convert them into faux windows. Inside even a cracked or nonfunctional screen there is the multi-layer sandwich that turns what is usually a single strand of LED into a large diffused and even back light for display. In your case you could use the layers of lens and acrylic to created large even swaths of low light that wouldn't out compete your high lights.

But that's the thing, in this case you can take the full sized sheets and cut them into smaller pieces(they are just plastic and acrylic) and use them plus some programmable LED strips and foamcore to make small, compact, LED light pads. Then you can tune the color and brightness to your specs and pop them into the ceiling above any place that is too dark.

But that's the thing, in this case you can take the full sized sheets and cut them into smaller pieces(they are just plastic and acrylic) and use them plus some programmable LED strips and foamcore to make small, compact, LED light pads. Then you can tune the color and brightness to your specs and pop them into the ceiling above any place that is too dark.

Sounds like a similar item called EL panels. Pretty cool, but pricey. Although smaller ones aren’t that expensive.

looks amazing

It's been awhile since I had anything to update. Just recently received a small set of strip lights to test for additional front lighting to the throne area.

Left over strip section:

IMG_8093.jpg

Interestingly, the phone camera lightens much more than they look in person. But they work great imho. I can even change the colors and the brightness -- I can go Disco style, and even have the lights change colors after a few seconds (but I have no intention of doing that).

My personal preference color choice at the moment on the lowest setting (as I said, they look more subdued in person):

Orange:
IMG_8094.jpg

one setting higher:
IMG_8106.jpg

I'd post more, but this website is acting more goofy than usual since the migration (I had pics of all the colors, but half of them won't load). Grrr!

The final color choice, and the intensity of the front light will be determined after I have the backdrop in place and lit from behind.

Man this site is wonky. Today was the first day I was able to login on my computer (though initially it told me I entered an invalid Username and Password).

Anyway, a friend of mine made a backdrop for me, and I had it printed up, which just arrived today. It turned out amazing. I have all the materials (LED strip lights, acrylic panel, diffusor, metallic tape, etc.) to start assembling the backdrop light box. Now I need to find the time (guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend).

IMG_8118.jpg

In case anyone is interested in oversized printing services, this is the place I used here in the states (owned by David W. Kelley):

https://largephotoprinting.com/

That background looks very cool. Really looking forward to seeing this all come together!

Thanks, fellas. I’m taking my time with this part, as I want to make it look right.

Can't wait to see your setup with the background image and the lighting. Everything looks fantastic as you're heading toward the finish line. Congrats!! :clap

Sneak peak: Backdrop in place, now on to the lights. Cutting that backdrop to fit was one of the hardest things I've had to do on this project, mainly because I didn't want to ruin it. Getting it placed in the right spot was equally difficult, and required more trimming, shifting, etc., but it's on the plexiglass panel with a diffusor screen behind it. (The roof is off right now, as I need access to the back to be able to make the light box).

IMG_8119.jpg

Back