Star Wars: The Force Awakens (12/18/15)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (12/18/15) Discussion Thread

Ewoks defeating Imperial troops IS a bit far fetched, sure.. :lol

However, 'never underestimate the will of the people' - that was the gist, I believe.

It would have been like Jawas defeating Sandtroopers or Ugnaughts beating down Stormtroopers on Bespin.

Wooden logs literally crushed in metal. Chewbacca and Ewoks tarzaned. Rocks pummeled troopers with armor.

For those keeping track, here is your original Jabba before it hit the cutting room floor:

FordandMulholland.jpg

Yep I remember seeing that scene on a show somewhere and I was like say what? Personally I don't like the scene and it feels out of place regardless. I thought it made Jabba more mysterious to hear things about him without seeing him until the end.

It would have been like Jawas defeating Sandtroopers or Ugnaughts beating down Stormtroopers on Bespin.

Wooden logs literally crushed in metal. Chewbacca and Ewoks tarzaned. Rocks pummeled troopers with armor.
:lol That's why I said it was laughable.

Actually there is this show that tests out theories and stunts from movies to see if it is really possible. They had a SW episode where they tested out various stunts like Luke and Leia swinging across the bridge and all that. One of the things they tested was the log scene smashing into the sides of a metal vehicle just like in the movie and it did work. They stated that what was far fetched was the Ewoks getting the logs setup in the trees in the first place but not the force of the logs crushing the armor itself. Obviously the scenes are far fetched regardless but c'mon it's pop corn scifi fun!! :)

Yep I remember seeing that scene on a show somewhere and I was like say what? Personally I don't like the scene and it feels out of place regardless. I thought it made Jabba more mysterious to hear things about him without seeing him until the end.

Yeah, even Lucas himself admitted the original Jabba didn't seem fearsome enough, or something along those lines. Especially for someone who's suppose to be a crime boss, gang leader, and involved in the gambling syndicate.

Instead, he looked like a guy on Tatooine eating too much bantha fodder. :D

No problem. :)

I remember seeing this version as a child...

06.jpg

and that it was re-done in 2004 with the updated CGI Jabba but I never knew it wasn't in the original (perhaps because I didn't see ANH until almost 20 years after it's release :lol).

06.jpg

and that it was re-done in 2004 with the updated CGI Jabba but I never knew it wasn't in the original (perhaps because I didn't see ANH until almost 20 years after it's release :lol).

Yep that infamous special edition that also added the Greedo shooting first scene. Ugh what a dark time for older SW fans. :(

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The SEs were my first experience of the films in the cinema. And still my only come to think of it.

Ok so this is you showing your age if you are serious. That scene was added in years later as part of The Special Edition. Originally we did not see Jabba until ROTJ.

:lecture:lecture:lecture :exactly: :goodpost:

But the SE version of Jabba was way more horrid than that. Isn't that the BR updated Jabba? I remember him being skinny and painful to look at for the SE version that hit theatres in the 90's.

Edit: NVM, saw his ugly mug on the last page. :lol

06.jpg

Last edited:

Well, all due respect to my friend Greygoose, Jabba is clearly CGI, a technology which wasn't around in 1977. Although perhaps he assumed that they had later put CGI over a dodgy looking puppet version of Jabba (rather than the human that was actually standing there as the scene was originally filmed).

:lecture:lecture:lecture :exactly: :goodpost:

But the SE version of Jabba was way more horrid than that. Isn't that the BR updated Jabba? I remember him being skinny and painful to look at for the SE version that hit theatres in the 90's.

You are correct sir. That other pic he showed later was the first version that premiered with the SE movie that was released in the theaters back in 1997. Then it was released on DVD in 2004. Finally the scene was modified further to improve Jabba in that scene on the Blu ray release that you just quoted above.

Well, all due respect to my friend Greygoose, Jabba is clearly CGI, a technology which wasn't around in 1977. Although perhaps he assumed that they had later put CGI over a dodgy looking puppet version of Jabba (rather than the human that was actually standing there as the scene was originally filmed).

Yeah. I was scratching my head wondering how he could've assumed CGI like that was around in 1977. :lol

This is calamity...

I just realized younger audiences know absolutely no better.

Damn you, Lucas! :gah:

Yeah. I was scratching my head wondering how he could've assumed CGI like that was around in 1977. :lol

Some people from our generation assume movies and television were always in color, just shot in B&W for artistic or cost-saving purposes. :lol

See, Han "glitching" when he walks over Jabba's "tail" bothered me more than how Jabba's actually looked. Then again I was still reeling from Greedo shooting.

A lot of those changes were just obnoxious. I mean, I like seeing the scene with Jabba out of context for like Behind the scenes purposes (especially when he was a real actor and I was fascinated by alien "Jabba" from the Marvel comic adaptation), but in the context of the actual film? Nah, I prefer hearing about how notorious Jabba is in Star Wars and Empire, then seeing him for the first time in Jedi.

This is calamity...

I just realized younger audiences know absolutely no better.

Damn you, Lucas! :gah:

Some people from our generation assume movies and television were always in color, just shot in B&W for artistic or cost-saving purposes. :lol

You guys are crazy!! :rotfl

Again. I saw ANH like 20 years after it's release (and as I was only about 10 years old it was probably well into the 2000's before I even took notice of anything) so officially to me ANH (regardless of what the OT purists say) was the first time I saw him. When I put the Star Wars blu ray on for my kids, again ANH will be the first time they see Jabba. If the 'I saw Star Wars in 1977' group want to have a dig at anyone have a dig at Lucas for ****ing around so much with so many versions.

Back