Star Wars: The Force Awakens (12/18/15)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015) Discussion Thread

That's official then? It's old news he said was game if they asked and seemed pretty excited to return. I wish he would collaborate with someone incase he chooses not to score the sequels. Can't say I would blame him for not committing. But if he is physically willing and able, that'd be awesome :)

This movie is probably is one of the best possible hands

"If you don’t care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, nothing anything is important if you don’t feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)

"If you believe in the effects and the green screen, you'll enjoy the film a lot more." - George Lucas (3/5/02)

Hence why this movie can't be as bad as the prequels.

"If you believe in the effects and the green screen, you'll enjoy the film a lot more." - George Lucas (3/5/02)

...that's a real quote??? :monkey1

I didn't know people didn't like Super 8. What was not to like?! It was a movie from the '80s for today's audiences. I went around describing it as a hybrid between ET, Goonies, and Jurassic Park. I stand by my description as it's got extraterrestrial activity, some likable and realistic kids, and suspense/terror. What more did you need? If nothing else, the characters were great and everyone delivered a wonderful performance! The antagonist was a little one-dimensional but that seems to be have done on purpose. I have high hopes for the characters and performances of both returning and new players in this movie :)

"If you don’t care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, nothing anything is important if you don’t feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)

:lol:lol

And there you go. A perfect illustration of why the new films will be better than the prequels by default.

This isn't exactly a brilliant insight. I think 99% of filmmakers understand this. Unfortunately, Lucas is one off the 1% after years of living in a delusional dreamworld populated by the opinions of yes-men and no critical self analysis.

I liked Super 8. It was a slightly less corny The Goonies with a bit of Close Encounters thrown in.

Good news about John Williams. At least we have the man himself to rewrite Disney's lame fanfare music so it better meshes with the begining of SW.

This isn't exactly a brilliant insight. I think 99% of filmmakers understand this. Unfortunately, Lucas is one off the 1% after years of living in a delusional dreamworld populated by the opinions of yes-men and no critical self analysis.

It's all that's needed, even if it's basic.

Lucas being gone by default makes this better.

As long as Ben Burt is kept at arms length, bringing JW back is a cool thing.

No sun glare but maybe "force" glare......:thwak

I can see it now, a repeat of the Cloverfield warnings taped to theatre doors :

"Lightsaber battles may cause seizure and motion sickness."

Me too. What's wrong with Ben Burtt? He's a brilliant sound guy.

I know he directed the Pod Race but so what? JJ has his own 2nd unit directors so Burtt wouldn't be doing that kind of thing anyway.

Edit: I was unaware of a grudge between JW and BB. Tell more.

Yeah, what's wrong with Ben Burtt?

And I hate to say it, but I'm a little leery of JW since he's been a little hit or miss in his later years. His last few have definitely been on the upswing, but I was annoyed at his prequel soundtracks because they were so intrusive and were about as subtle as a rancor. He really sledgehammered the emotional scenes with loud, obnoxious sappy music to let the audience know something sad was happening. He needs to reel it in.

Don't get me wrong, JW is a fantastic composer responsible for most of my favourite soundtracks. I'm just saying he can be, and was on the SW prequels, extremely heavy handed.

Ah, ok, pix. I think I have heard something about JW vs Burtt. Isn't it something like they're always butting heads about whether the music or the sound effects should be more prominent in particular scenes?

He did fine with the Crystal Skull soundtrack, about the only positive thing I can say about that movie aside from Harrison looking good.

Edit: I was unaware of a grudge between JW and BB. Tell more.

Burt is a genius in his own right. No dispute there. But he basically perpetrated a cut and paste of all JW's music on the PT. He removed entire sections of music to cut in music that was written for previous soundtracks. Also in the mixing, many of Burt's soundscapes and effects overpower the music; or in other words he felt the music was made impotent because of Burt's tinkerings.

Back