Star Wars: The Force Awakens (12/18/15)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George Lucas on SW TFA on the Charlie Ross show

I guess he never saw Guardians of the Galaxy, Alien and Aliens to name a few? :lol

I think the man speaks truth...
Both American Graffiti and Star Wars were unique and new. How on earth is Guardians of the Galaxy even remotely new? As for Alien and Aliens, Ridley Scott himself said he was inspired by what Lucas did, and Aliens is a sequel... I don't think I quite follow your reasoning there...
And I think we all agree that TFA is a remake of SW. A tremendously enjoyably one, but a remake nontheless.
Lucas expanded the SW universe in every movie, TFA made the galaxy small again, reduced it to bad guys and good guys again. In TFA you're either a Nazi, a member of the Resistance, or a scavenger. There are no civilizations, no exotic planets, no different cultures. It really is very basic. Wonderfully made, and very entertaining, but very limited, basic, and not terribly new.
Abrams and Disney had such a huge canvas to paint in, unfortunately, they played it very safe. And the masses are proving them right: people want safe, they want what they already know. It's not very often that people embrace something new, which is why we really should be thankful for Lucas' genius in giving us SW in the first place.

Look George, you sold it. Why come out and be critical or the company you sold it to? It was your decision to sell to Disney. You know who Disney is and what they do.

I think the man speaks truth...
Both American Graffiti and Star Wars were unique and new. How on earth is Guardians of the Galaxy even remotely new? As for Alien and Aliens, Ridley Scott himself said he was inspired by what Lucas did, and Aliens is a sequel... I don't think I quite follow your reasoning there...
And I think we all agree that TFA is a remake of SW. A tremendously enjoyably one, but a remake nontheless.
Lucas expanded the SW universe in every movie, TFA made the galaxy small again, reduced it to bad guys and good guys again. In TFA you're either a Nazi, a member of the Resistance, or a scavenger. There are no civilizations, no exotic planets, no different cultures. It really is very basic. Wonderfully made, and very entertaining, but very limited, basic, and not terribly new.
Abrams and Disney had such a huge canvas to paint in, unfortunately, they played it very safe. And the masses are proving them right: people want safe, they want what they already know. It's not very often that people embrace something new, which is why we really should be thankful for Lucas' genius in giving us SW in the first place.

He said all the "space films" failed. There are more than few that didn't failed.

And Star Wars wasn't technically new. It was an homage to things past (mainly from his childhood), but presented in a new way.

Lucas is Darth Plagiarist...because he didn't get those rights to Flash Gordon he wanted. :wink1:

image.jpg

Jar Jar Binks is in that picture. I can't imagine watching him over and over again will calm anyone down.

Unless it's some kind of clever experimental aversion therapy...

treatment_aclockworkorange.jpg

If I don't enjoy a film then I don't give it another thought. :lol

Well the thing is you can hate something that you so wished you could love. A position Jye temporarily held on this film and which many of us here hold eternally for the prequels.

The key thing is 'interest'. I have no interest in Transformers therefore I don't care that the movies are crap and I won't give those films a second thought. People continue to criticise the Star Wars prequels so many years later because they were brought to love Star Wars based on the original trilogy and were naturally interested in what the prequels could have been....but unfortunately aren't. The magnitude of the shame that this is, combined with a new Star Wars trilogy keeping it in our consciousness, is what keeps us pissed off about the prequels all these years later. (There's my answer to WWEJedi on that question he keeps asking)

I find it hilarious that 95% of the Freaks here in the movie forum over analyze every minute detail to such a degree that I really don't see how they enjoy going to the movies at all. :lol

If a movie is interesting i love to speculate about the story and characters....same for a good book. Thats a far cry from returning to troll a thread for a movie you didnt like. Very different motivations there.

He's not wrong about the state of Hollywood not investing in blockbuster projects unless they're adaptions

And he's right about the spaceships too. TFA used the falcon and X-Wings and Star-Detroyer over inventing new and interesting ships. I was shocked Rens shuttle made it into the movie and wasn't replaced by an Imperial Shuttle tbh

What?

Sometimes I wonder if people actually saw the movie they are criticizing...

Troop transport.....new
Reys speeder.....new
Junk collector that had BB8.....new
Gangs ship.....new
Hans freighter.....new
Kylo's ship.....new
Leia ship....new

So you think cause they didnt stop using the successful x-wing platform. Or star destroyer or Tie , thats not original?
Seems to me it fits the story for a splinter group of the Empire and Resistance to use what they had used before.......

This is post war not the golden age....

If a movie is interesting i love to speculate about the story and characters....same for a good book. Thats a far cry from returning to troll a thread for a movie you didnt like. Very different motivations there.

What?

Sometimes I wonder if people actually saw the movie they are criticizing...

Troop transport.....new
Reys speeder.....new
Junk collector that had BB8.....new
Gangs ship.....new
Hans freighter.....new
Kylo's ship.....new
Leia ship....new

I honestly don't remember what any of that looks like, but to be fair, I've only seen the film twice, unlike the old films.

Well the thing is you can hate something that you so wished you could love. A position Jye temporarily held on this film and which many of us here hold eternally for the prequels.

A path between hate and love also there is. Difficult this path is, but not impossible.

Luke, like your father the Prequels are: bad, but in them good still there is.

Back