Star Wars Han Solo in Carbonite Life Size Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clearly you need some advice on how to invest your money.

Maybe but you said interest so I assumed a typical bank/CD rate. My nest egg, rainy day find earned maybe 10 bucks this year. I doubt anything I did would have changed much.

Maybe but you said interest so I assumed a typical bank/CD rate. My nest egg, rainy day find earned maybe 10 bucks this year. I doubt anything I did would have changed much.

Nah, I was talking about investing a little more aggressively than in a bank CD which pays next to nothing now. If I invest $7k I can normally expect to make about $400-500 off that in a year. That's why I said with Sideshow taking these Flex Pay installments and keeping them for nearly a year the HIC ends up costing even more which is crazy considering how overpriced it already is.

Flexpay by its nature is for people that don't want to think too much about the actual cost and don't have the discipline to save for it or have other options like a credit line. Sideshow's doing those people a big favour by even allowing the payments to be broken up, at all. To me it's kind of silly to argue the collector in that situation could make better use of their money by investing elsewhere. People that need to break up the payments probably shouldn't be buying it to begin with.

Flexpay by its nature is for people that don't want to think too much about the actual cost and don't have the discipline to save for it or have other options like a credit line. Sideshow's doing those people a big favour by even allowing the payments to be broken up, at all. To me it's kind of silly to argue the collector in that situation could make better use of their money by investing elsewhere. People that need to break up the payments probably shouldn't be buying it to begin with.

Maybe so, but what I was trying to point out is that by using FlexPay something like this essentially costs even more than the $7k asking price which is already ridiculous to begin with.

That's true, but it's a lot better than putting it on a credit card and then trying to pay it off a little at a time, which unfortunately is something that people do.

People that need to break up the payments probably shouldn't be buying it to begin with.
Sorry, but everyone isn't broke, full of bad credit, or buying things they can't afford. I can afford anything they sell, but chose to use flex pay because it costs nothing and why pay a lump sum if you can flex it and pay it off before it is released? The only time I pay in full if the item is wait listed or already released.

TLDR: just because people use flex pay doesn't mean they're broke.

Sorry, but everyone isn't broke, full of bad credit, or buying things they can't afford. I can afford anything they sell, but chose to use flex pay because it costs nothing and why pay a lump sum if you can flex it and pay it off before it is released? The only time I pay in full if the item is wait listed or already released.

TLDR: just because people use flex pay doesn't mean they're broke.

Invictus said "need", not choose. If people do, in fact, need to break up payments to afford a collectible they likely can't truly afford it.

People will use FP for several different reasons. I choose not to because I prefer to make my money work for me. By the time this statue is released I will have earned a few hundred dollars more by doing nothing.

Anyways, let's get back on track to discussion regarding the actual piece.

Anyways, let's get back on track to discussion regarding the actual piece.

Unfortunately there's not really a lot to talk about with regards to the actual piece. It's insanely overpriced for what you get and as has already been pointed out it's not even as accurate as the Illusive Concepts HIC from several years ago. The only thing it's got going for it is the cool light up feature, but that isn't worth anywhere close to $7k.

Yeah I could care less about the base. Cool, but unnecessary. I'd rather it come without and cost less.

It would be $5 or $6k without the base, so at that price, what's the point of trying to save a few bucks. Is there going to be anyone for whom this piece is one or two thousand dollars out of reach? Hard to imagine.

Personally I think the base is one of the best things about the display. Really gives it a professionally finished appearance and I like how it makes the slab appear to be hovering.

Well, me. A max of $5000 would of been my budget. It's a shame, as I would of loved to have one. Got to draw the line somewhere. In this case Sideshow, greed is not good! What this price does is make me look for a cheaper alternative. Well done.

I was in at $5,000, plus my reward points. I don't think the base constitutes an extra $2,000. I can fabricate that base for $500 with real metal. There's nothing complicated about the entire piece. That's why I thought it would be priced cheaper. I'm a geek collector but for 7K, I think I'd belong in a insane asylum for spending that much on a collectible. I'm not that crazy to where I need to have this.

The crazy thing is that KingJawa on the RPF sells the HIC casting for $250 and Zenix sells the box frame kit for only $288. You still have to add in the panels, greeblies, electronics, etc., but I guarantee a HIC that is even more accurate than Sideshow's can be done for approximately $2-3k. You're absolutely right, Jaxon, Sideshow's greed is going to bite them on this piece in the end because only a fool would pay $7k for one.

I purchased this but there was nothing listed that I saw about shipping fees. I used all my reward points and got it affordable. A few years ago I ordered the Gentle Giant. Balrog Monument which was huge. Delivered freight on a semi truck and it was 400.00. I could see this being around 500.00 shipped by freight.

Congratulations, FROBAY. I am looking forward to seeing in-hand pictures of this monolith in peoples' collections. Price-point and some accuracy details aside it is beautiful and if I had the right kind of display space and money to spare, I'd love it.

I purchased this but there was nothing listed that I saw about shipping fees. I used all my reward points and got it affordable. A few years ago I ordered the Gentle Giant. Balrog Monument which was huge. Delivered freight on a semi truck and it was 400.00. I could see this being around 500.00 shipped by freight.

Very jealous of your recent acquisition. I imagine you have an amazing collection and display room.

Congrats... I think...

Thanks, now for the long wait. I know they say september but I have my doubts it comes out on time as so much rarely makes the estimated street date.

Have you received it yet since I see it's shipping? Anyone received it? Pics? Opinions?

Thanks!
Joe

Back