Star Wars Fine Art Show-off Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darth Loki said:
I was looking at a lot of the ANH prints and this just has everything you could ask for. Not to mention all the likeness's are amazing. I love Jerry's work and look forward to getting more in the future (I can't wait for the LOTR lithos :drool

dang dude where did you score that C3 print and for how much?

nash said:
dang dude where did you score that C3 print and for how much?

Same place you could've scored it :D

I had a pretty good talk with my boss this week so I decided to treat myself.

Just paid for my custom frame for Adam's CIV print

:eek :eek $227 :eek :eek

I went all out for it so it's not really that bad. It's going to look fantastic when ready.

$227 just for the frame for the hughes print?! oh boy what have i gotten myself into? :monkey2:monkey2

nash said:
$227 just for the frame for the hughes print?! oh boy what have i gotten myself into? :monkey2:monkey2
I think that includes mat and a higher end frame. I more simplistic frame could be had online for around $100.

mfoga said:
I think that includes mat and a higher end frame. I more simplistic frame could be had online for around $100.

I kinda went all out for this one. I got one of the nicer frames they had and the expensive glass as well.

Oh and did I mention that this was with the 50% discount :horror

Darth Loki said:
I kinda went all out for this one. I got one of the nicer frames they had and the expensive glass as well.

Oh and did I mention that this was with the 50% discount :horror
Yeah most framing shops a way expensive, you can have a custom frame done online for much less but the only downside is you almost always have to get acrylic instead of glass.

mfoga said:
Yeah most framing shops a way expensive, you can have a custom frame done online for much less but the only downside is you almost always have to get acrylic instead of glass.

Which I may look into for the others. But I kinda wanted to splurge on this one. It is just so awesome and really has a special appeal to it. I wanted to do everything I could to draw as much attention to it as possible. Can't wait to get pics up for you all (7-10 days though :monkey2 )

Darth Loki said:
Which I may look into for the others. But I kinda wanted to splurge on this one. It is just so awesome and really has a special appeal to it. I wanted to do everything I could to draw as much attention to it as possible. Can't wait to get pics up for you all (7-10 days though :monkey2 )
Do the rest require custom frames or are they standard sizes?

If they are standard sizes hit Aaron Bros there a couple in MD. They have a 1 cent sale buy one get the scond for a penny.

sorry if this is a dumb question but i know nothing about this stuff....

what is the difference between normal glass and expensive glass for these frames?

my guess would be UV protection and possibly a scratch resistant surface

UV protects your piece from Ultra Violet Rays...Not totally but much better than normal glass (which does not protect from UV at all). You never want to put any artwork in direct sunlight or real close to halogen lights.
There is also Non-Glare glass and UV Non-Glare glass. Also know as Conservation Glass. Hope this helps.

Yeah, I usually go UV non-glare for most of my high-end pics.

Conversely, I also went all-out for my custom framing of Adam's C4 print at Hobby Lobby and it "only" cost me $163.00.

have you guys seen Trevor (trevolver)'s stuff?

He's got some incredible star wars art works he did!

i'll wait for him to show up on his own and show them though :)

they're pretty amazing~

here's a way to save a little money.

go to a custom frame shop; have a mat cut for your piece, and get the outside measurements. The, with those measurements, order a less expensive frame online. When it arrives; take it to the frame shop and ask them to assemble it with the nicer glass. Lots of chains (Like Michaels, Joannes or Hobby Lobby) won't do this, but privately owned shops often will.

For those of us who end up doing the framing ourselves, is there any alternative to spray mounting the print on an archival backing board? I'd prefer a non-adhesive method in case I ever needed to break the whole thing down, but I'm not exactly sure what that would be. Any suggestions?

silentman116 said:
For those of us who end up doing the framing ourselves, is there any alternative to spray mounting the print on an archival backing board? I'd prefer a non-adhesive method in case I ever needed to break the whole thing down, but I'm not exactly sure what that would be. Any suggestions?

GAHHH!!!!!

NEVER EVER SPRAY OR DRY MOUNT ARTWORK!!!!

posters? sure what the hell. But you NEVER do something un-doable to art. You mount any of these prints and they are considered "ruined" by the art industry and collectibles market. If the edition goes up in value, yours isn't worth a cent. Better to mat them; that is done with removeable acid free tape.

Right, I had no intention of dry mounting them, hence the question ;). So I need to get some acid-free tape, along with my acid-free mat and backing board. I've seen a "hinge" tutorial on a framing supply site. Is that a good method using the tape?

silentman116 said:
Right, I had no intention of dry mounting them, hence the question ;). So I need to get some acid-free tape, along with my acid-free mat and backing board. I've seen a "hinge" tutorial on a framing supply site. Is that a good method using the tape?

Hinging is more for when you "float" your art. That is; it lies centered in the middle of a piece of un-cut mat. For mats that are cut with a window for your artwork, do a piece of tape at each side, running vertically across the art and mat. A second piece can them be run horizontally across that piece of tape, along the "seam" to be a bit more secure. You'll have two "+" of tape at the top corners of the art, about a few inches in from each side.

I was a custom picture framer for almost 10 years.....

DarthSaffron said:
I was a custom picture framer for almost 10 years.....
To bad your not still you could have made a fortune off us trying to get the artwork from CIV framed:rotfl

Back