Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Star Wars name: Doosh Trevorrow

a15fbb25a636b82496a4bd5baaa5cd8d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That Trevorrow cut sounds horrible why people are excited for it is beyond me.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I can explain to you why I prefer the Trevorrow script. Here are some of the things in it that I think are more worthwhile as a finale to the trilogy and the entire saga:

• Much more Luke! And his interactions with Kylo accomplish two things: 1.) ties back to the biggest narrative thread from TFA and TLJ (Ben turning on his master/uncle), and 2.) these can only play out this way for Luke in his "ghost" form, thereby adding a strategic value to his sacrifice in TLJ.
  • Finn leads a rebellion of stormtroopers. This pays off what he learned in TFA about doing the right thing, and what he learned in TLJ about doing it for the *greater good.* Giving Finn that purpose by inspiring other stormtroopers is a much better arc completion than yelling "REY!!" some more.
  • C-3PO and R2-D2 *together* a lot more. Didn't get nearly enough of this in the ST.
  • Kylo in a cave duel getting his ass handed to him by Vader. Awesome!
  • Rey with a dual-bladed saber that she *makes for herself* and utilizes her combat skills with a staff.
  • Bringing Coruscant front and center to contrast with how it was presented in the PT. Another way of closing a saga loop. Having the final battle there is something I would've loved just for that reason. It's like poetry . . . :lol
  • Kylo going full evil, and then having a reckoning that would have less of a chance of making me laugh out loud in a crowded theater. Also, Adam Driver getting more dialogue than just "Ow" in the entire 2nd half of the movie.
  • Knights of Ren having an actual purpose.

But, just as importantly, there are things which are *not* in Trevorrow's version that I would greatly prefer:

• No surviving Palpatine to undo what Anakin accomplished.
  • No Rey Palpatine that further morphs the Skywalker Saga into the Palpatine Saga.
  • No healing/resurrecting powers and no pulling starships out of the sky (all of which make certain elements in the previous movies feel awkward/silly).
  • No Sith Fleet necessitating some of the stupidest logic ever committed to screen.
  • No MacGuffin chases and absurd plot conveniences to set up and pay off those chases.

I know that you won't agree with my view of this stuff, jye, but I hope this at least helps you understand why this one particular fan would've preferred the admittedly imperfect Trevorrow version. It comes down mostly to the fact that it would've made for a far more cohesive story, not just for the ST - but as a less contradictory final chapter in the whole 9-part saga.

And people are carrying on like Tor Vallum would have been the "new main bad guy." He wasn't though. He was basically an evil version of Yoda who would have had Kylo fight Darth Vader in a cave them learn how to drain the life from others. Kylo was then going to drain Tor Vallum's life and kill the 7,000 year old Sith teacher before heading off to Mortis.

Which of course would raise all kinds of questions, namely why hadn't Palpatine himself done that decades prior and so on.

Otherwise the "main villains" were just going to be same old Kylo, Hux, and apparently Phasma (lol.)

If not for IX I would?ve never opened up to accepting KR as a true villain coming off TFA/TLJ and this trilogy would?ve been all for nothing.

I know that sounds crazy but that is just how I feel.

It was Palpatine/Plagueis or I was done.

Now could?ve an interesting internal civil war between Palpatine and Plagueis been presented with Kylo/Rey/Leia/Luke being caught in the middle, sure it could?ve.

Plagueis taking his revenge by coming back as Palpatine to reclaim the sith throne. Palpatine wins of course lol

But IX saved Kylo for me by making him a conduit that was being used by a living Palpatine

Last edited:
I can't speak for anyone else, but I can explain to you why I prefer the Trevorrow script. Here are some of the things in it that I think are more worthwhile as a finale to the trilogy and the entire saga:

• Much more Luke! And his interactions with Kylo accomplish two things: 1.) ties back to the biggest narrative thread from TFA and TLJ (Ben turning on his master/uncle), and 2.) these can only play out this way for Luke in his "ghost" form, thereby adding a strategic value to his sacrifice in TLJ.
  • Finn leads a rebellion of stormtroopers. This pays off what he learned in TFA about doing the right thing, and what he learned in TLJ about doing it for the *greater good.* Giving Finn that purpose by inspiring other stormtroopers is a much better arc completion than yelling "REY!!" some more.
  • C-3PO and R2-D2 *together* a lot more. Didn't get nearly enough of this in the ST.
  • Kylo in a cave duel getting his ass handed to him by Vader. Awesome!
  • Rey with a dual-bladed saber that she *makes for herself* and utilizes her combat skills with a staff.
  • Bringing Coruscant front and center to contrast with how it was presented in the PT. Another way of closing a saga loop. Having the final battle there is something I would've loved just for that reason. It's like poetry . . . :lol
  • Kylo going full evil, and then having a reckoning that would have less of a chance of making me laugh out loud in a crowded theater. Also, Adam Driver getting more dialogue than just "Ow" in the entire 2nd half of the movie.
  • Knights of Ren having an actual purpose.

But, just as importantly, there are things which are *not* in Trevorrow's version that I would greatly prefer:

• No surviving Palpatine to undo what Anakin accomplished.
  • No Rey Palpatine that further morphs the Skywalker Saga into the Palpatine Saga.
  • No healing/resurrecting powers and no pulling starships out of the sky (all of which make certain elements in the previous movies feel awkward/silly).
  • No Sith Fleet necessitating some of the stupidest logic ever committed to screen.
  • No MacGuffin chases and absurd plot conveniences to set up and pay off those chases.

I know that you won't agree with my view of this stuff, jye, but I hope this at least helps you understand why this one particular fan would've preferred the admittedly imperfect Trevorrow version. It comes down mostly to the fact that it would've made for a far more cohesive story, not just for the ST - but as a less contradictory final chapter in the whole 9-part saga.

Fair enough I don?t blame you for wanting to cleanse the Skywalker saga of that PT filth which grossly permeates it.

The ST's "lack of cohesion" is a misnomer brought about by people knowing the behind the scenes drama and rewrites. The actual films themselves build off each other and connect just fine. People binging these movies in the future for the first time will be none the wiser.

They don't really connect just fine for me though. They are very jarring especially 8 into 9. I can watch parts of Force Awakens but lose interest quickly. I am glad you enjoy them though Khev. At least we agree on Captain America's story arc. I will stick to Rogue One and Solo for the Disney wars movies. Hopefully Kenobi will still be great.

So how much did TROS actually make beyond its billion? And what's the spread between it and Joker?

Eight out of ten are Disney. :lol

1 Avengers: Endgame
Disney
$2,797,800,564

2 The Lion King
$1,656,943,149

3 Frozen II
$1,406,474,969

4 Spider-Man: Far From Home
Sony
$1,131,927,996

5 Captain Marvel
Disney
$1,128,274,794

6 Toy Story 4
$1,073,394,593

7 Joker
Warner Bros.
$1,070,176,513

8 Aladdin
Disney
$1,050,693,953

9 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
$1,033,623,535

10 Hobbs & Shaw

The ST's "lack of cohesion" is a misnomer brought about by people knowing the behind the scenes drama and rewrites. The actual films themselves build off each other and connect just fine. People binging these movies in the future for the first time will be none the wiser.

People were complaining about lack of narrative cohesion between TFA and TLJ (something I disagree with) before ever knowing about the competing visions for ep9. Now with TROS, the claims of no unified vision have been amplified, and onscreen evidence is plentiful. If first-time viewers binge these movies, they'll see things like this:

Snoke drops Rey on her knees to be killed by Kylo in one movie, and then learn Snoke is revealed to have been Palpatine in the next movie while needing Rey to be brought to him alive. He would've already had Rey in the room with him, and was tossing her around at will. Why not excuse Kylo from the room and take to her to Exogol yourself then?

In TFA, Rey gets dropped off with Unkar Plutt (a nasty and manipulative guy who is essentially a slave driver). TLJ explains she was sold off by piece-of-**** parents. Then TROS says, "no, her parents loved her . . . so they *sold* her to a guy that would abuse her evermore." :slap How does that make any sense?

They'll learn about a handful of Luke's students that went with Ben Solo and were never mentioned again.

They'll see a TFA Force vision with Kylo and his Knights killing someone, but will never have it explained what the relevancy was to Rey in her vision.

In TLJ, Luke will reach across the galaxy to connect with Leia and be fine. In TROS, Leia will perform the same trick but die from it.

Luke tells Kylo "see ya around, kid" and them ends up playing no direct role in any scenes involving Kylo/Ben.

There's tons more stuff like this. Some of the people pulling their hair out about the lack of cohesion didn't even like TLJ, but still found the absence of narrative connection jarring.

They don't really connect just fine for me though. They are very jarring especially 8 into 9.

What is jarring about them?

I can watch parts of Force Awakens but lose interest quickly. I am glad you enjoy them though Khev. At least we agree on Captain America's story arc. I will stick to Rogue One and Solo for the Disney wars movies. Hopefully Kenobi will still be great.

Yes definitely with regard to MCU Cap. Too bad it looks like they're instantly going off the rails with the Disney+ "US Agent" stuff though.

Eight out of ten are Disney. :lol

1 Avengers: Endgame
Disney
$2,797,800,564

2 The Lion King
$1,656,943,149

3 Frozen II
$1,406,474,969

4 Spider-Man: Far From Home
Sony
$1,131,927,996

5 Captain Marvel
Disney
$1,128,274,794

6 Toy Story 4
$1,073,394,593

7 Joker
Warner Bros.
$1,070,176,513

8 Aladdin
Disney
$1,050,693,953

9 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
$1,033,623,535

10 Hobbs & Shaw

I groaned last weekend when my kids wanted to watch the new Aladdin on Disney+. 20 minutes in I paused it and said "okay guys, do you *really* want to watch the rest of this" and they said yes. Jasmine was likable but the guys who played Aladdin and Jafar were just so uninteresting to watch. Then Will Smith showed up (who I figured would be the worst part of the movie) and lo and behold the movie picked up and was surprisingly pretty entertaining from that point on.

Nowhere near as good as the original of course but decent enough in the end. The giant Iago was pretty cool actually too.

What is jarring about them?

Yes definitely with regard to MCU Cap. Too bad it looks like they're instantly going off the rails with the Disney+ "US Agent" stuff though.

Read ajp4mgs post right above yours for a lot of what is jarring for me. Usagent is probably not something they should do at this point. I loved that storyline in the 80's though. That and the end of the Captain America title before heroes reborn and the beginning of the Brubaker run are awesome stories.

Read ajp4mgs post right above yours for a lot of what is jarring for me.

Hmm okay, I didn't see anything in his post that would suggest that the ST was any more jarring or disjointed than the narrative tweaks from film to film in the OT though.

is probably not something they should do at this point. I loved that storyline in the 80's though. That and the end of the Captain America title before heroes reborn and the beginning of the Brubaker run are awesome stories.

Yes I also loved the Waid/Garney run that closed out the Cap comics prior to "Heroes Reborn" as well. I go against the grain on Brubaker though. To me his run was great if you're a Bucky fan, not so much with regard to Rogers. So my "Cap canon" ends at the end of Volume 2 (issue #454.)

Last edited:
Back